It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:43

Text Size

August Tournament Results

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: August Tournament Results

Postby Shantak » 11 Aug 2010, 05:41

Group C:

stroggoli vs juzamjedi (AI) - 2-0 (stroggoli +2 points)
Eldrazi Conscription on my Nest Invader and that's a game. 1-0

I need one All Is Dust to clear the board but after that Conscription wins me another game. 2-0

stroggoli vs brandon (AI) - 2-0 (stroggoli +2 points)
After All Is Dust destroys an O-ring exiling my Ulamog's Crusher, the rest is a cakewalk. 1-0

Next game, simply walked over all AI had. 2-0

juzamjedi vs stroggoli (AI) - 2-0 (juzamjedi +2 points)
AI has only two lands and vampires swarm him easily. 1-0

This game, AI has mana but doesn't play smart with creatures and can't cast a single colorless Eldrazi spell. 2-0

juzamjedi vs brandon (AI) - 2-1 (juzamjedi +1 point)
White creatures are pwoerless against Malakir Bloodwitches. 1-0

I had nearly 15 lands in my first 20 cards! I'm in 5 life and about to die next turn when I get a Bloodwitch. She keeps me alive for only one additional turn. 1-1

Victory through Bloodhawks and a Bloodwitch. 2-1

brandon vs stroggoli (AI) - 2-0 (brandon +2 points)
Won first one with Exalted attacking and Angelic Benediction tapping. O-ring slowed down AI. 1-0

Most Exalted Battlegrace Angel flew past enemy Nest Invaders and Spawns, winning the game. 2-0

brandon vs juzamjedi (AI) - 2-1 (brandon +1 point)
Close but fast game, won thanks to Elspeth-boosted knight who flew past enemy lines. And I had to mulligan twice. 1-0

Quick game as I had expensive cards in hand and AI flooded me with quick vamps. 1-1

I just love playing with Exalted, though this last game was finished with Ajani's Lightning Helix. 2-1
Shantak

Postby Cognis » 11 Aug 2010, 14:17

Group C

Stroggoii vs Juzamjedi 2-1
Stroggoii vs Brandon 2-0

Juzamjedi vs Stroggoii 2-1
Juzamjedi vs Brandon 2-1

Brandon vs Stroggoii 2-0
Brandon vs Juzamjedi 0-2

Juzamjedi: 7 points
Stroggoii: 3 points
Brandon: 2 points

Match 1 (Juzamjedi AI)
Game 1:
All Is Dust and annihilator made this a comfortable win.
Game 2: I had 3 Awakening Zone and Broodwarden in play so I thought it was an assured win. Then the AI discarded my two Pelakka Wurm negating me 14 life I needed. It was close but I had to trade Broodwarden for Malakir Bloodwitch to stay alive and after that my drone army lost its punch which it didn’t recover so I lost.
Game 3: It was close since I had few land and the AI had an aggressive start, but with patient play I was able to play Eldrazi Conscription on drone. I even top decked All Is Dust to doubly confirm the victory.

Match 2 (Brandon AI)
Game 1:
An army of Eldrazi Spawn destroyed the opposition.
Game 2: An aggressive army of drones quickly finished the match.

Match 3 (Stroggoii AI)
Game 1:
Had to mulligan twice to get more than 1 land, I then got 4 out of 5 cards and proceeded to draw 6 additional ones in a row. Needles to say I lost that one.
Game 2: This time I overrun the AI with vampires.
Game 3: An interesting match where the AI had Eldrazi Conscription but Vampire Nighthawk deathtouch took care of that threat, but there were just to many vampires even for All Is Dust to stop.

Match 4 (Brandon AI)
Game 1:
Too many lands.
Game 2: Malakir Bloodwitch for the win.
Game 3: I began with 5 lands but with Malakir Bloodwitch. After that I had a good draw while the AI was slow to start. I played Mind Sludge and wrapped up the game next turn.

Match 5 (Stroggoii AI)
Game 1:
At first I was struggling to get a second white mana, but after I got that I took control and won comfortably with the help of planeswalkers.
Game 2: Exalted army for the win. Oddly I didn’t draw any Mountains this time, while I drew all of them in the first game.

Match 6 (Juzamjedi AI)
Game 1: I
was mana flooded, 5 cards on 9 lands, so I ran out of steam when the AI kicked 2 Gatekeeper of Malakir and dropped 2 Vampire Nighthawk.
Game 2: I had a great hand but unfortunately I had no solution for 2 Malakir Bloodwitch.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Brandon822 » 11 Aug 2010, 15:13

Group B

Aww1979 8
Shantak 4
Jatill 1

Shantak (Human) vs. Jatill Cheerios 2-1

I play fifth turn Serenbid Djinn, but AI plays Mahamoti Djinn next turn. After two turn he destroys it and pounds me to death.
Two fast Juzam Djinn.
Two fast Serenbid Efreet.

Shantak (Human) vs. Aww1979 0-2

I lose the Djinn wars.
Oubliette s eat my Djinns and AI races to victory.

Jatill Cheerios (Human) vs. Shantak 1-2

Mahamoti keeps SD in control and i Terror it when it has eaten AIs manas.
Old man + Sorceress queen keeps my Mahamoti in control and AI races to victory with SD.
Sorceress Queen and SD got me eventually.

Jatill Cheerios (Human) vs. Aww1979 2-1

Two OMotS stole my Specters and I finally die to stolen SE.
Same story here, but this time terror s kill Old mans and Specters kill.
First turn Specter gives me enought advantage to win easily.

Aww1979 (Human) vs. Shantak 2-0

Unstable Devil rides to victory.
Oubliette eats AIs Efreet and my Unstable one rodes to victory.

Aww19719 (Human) vs. Jatill Cheerios 2-1

My creatures change sides and second Swamp for Juzam never comes.
Witches and Oubliette s take care of AIs creatures.
Old mans steal Specters.
Brandon822

Postby Cognis » 11 Aug 2010, 18:04

Group D

Jatill Land-Ho vs Salbei 2-0
Jatill Land-Ho vs Cognis 2-1

Salbei vs Jatill Land-Ho 2-0
Salbei vs Cognis 2-0

Cognis vs Jatill Land-Ho 2-1
Cognis vs Salbei 2-0

Salbei: 4 points
Jatill Land-Ho: 3 points
Cognis: 3 points

Match 1 (Salbei AI)
Game 1:
Two Plated Geopede did most of the work and Rampaging Baloths just confirmed the victory.
Game 2: Again Plated Geopede did most of the work and fatties finished it.

Match 2 (Cognis AI)
Game 1:
Plated Geopede started the job and Terra Stomper finished it.
Game 2: I only had Plated Geopede and would have won the race against the AI but a pair of Squadron Hawk flew over me and won because the AI played Honor of the Pure.
Game 3: Rampaging Baloths for the win with beast tokens. The AI had 2 Palace Guard but it didn’t use multiblock to survive.

Match 3 (Jatill Land-Ho AI)
Game 1:
AI didn’t have much of a hand so Chandra Nalar did most of the work.
Game 2: I have to mulligan a 7 land and then a 5 land hand but the AI doesn’t play much until Terra Stomper when Chandra Nalar explodes and 2 Chandra’s Spitfire hit ofr 10 each.

Match 4 (Cognis AI)
Game 1:
I was mana flooded and the AI mana screwed so I didn’t have much trouble.
Game 2: This time the AI did a little better but Chandra Nalar did most of the work.

Match 5 (Jatill Land-Ho AI)
Game 1:
I am looking at 3 Plated Geopede, 2 Rampaging Baloths, Terra Stomper and 8 beast tokens and they attack Ajani Goldmane that has 1 counter on it. I multiblock with Palace Guard and take out half of the fatties, Give my already pumped army vigilance and attack for the win. Ajani saved me by pumping my dudes. No way I would have won against a human player. AI didn’t attack when it could.
Game 2: AI is at 3 life and I’m waiting to finish him off with BSA waiting in my hand when the AI plays Lavaball Trap. Not enough to kill me since he will clear his board and stay only with Rampaging Baloths and I have no worries until Lavaball trap kills all my creatures leaves alive 8 beast tokens and Oracle of Mul-Daya. Lavaball Trap didn’t worked as it should. It never did that before, not in the 0810 nor in 0811 update. At that time I conceded the match and then used debug mode to see if it cost me the match and it didn’t since I was left at 2 lands so I have no complaint on the outcome.
Game 3: This time Elite Vanguard and White Knight did all the job with 2 Pacifism on my side.

Match 6 (Salbei AI)
Game 1:
A relaxed match in which the AI didn’t do much.
Game 2: Honor of the Pure + Squadron Hawk + Ajani Goldmane and 2 Pacifism for Chandra’s Spitfire made short work out of it.

Well that's round one for me. There are some fun decks and ironically Jatill's main deck is neck and neck with Salbei and me while his backup decks are dominating their groups. Waiting for round 2.
Cognis
Tester

Postby jatill » 11 Aug 2010, 18:33

Cognis wrote:Well that's round one for me. There are some fun decks and ironically Jatill's main deck is neck and neck with Salbei and me while his backup decks are dominating their groups. Waiting for round 2.
I don't know what I was thinking making the Titan deck my official choice. The Cherrios (U/b) deck is MUCH stronger (and able to deal with BSA).
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Cognis » 11 Aug 2010, 18:39

Titan's are great but would maybe be stronger in a different group. Anyway, don't post comments in the result section, it's a rule I think :D
Cognis
Tester

Postby Shantak » 11 Aug 2010, 19:06

Group D

jatill3 (landho) vs salbei (AI) - 2-0 (jatill3 (landho) +2 points)
I win the first game by trampling after Lavaball Trap, but would have lost had AI sought Triskelions with Hoarding Dragons (it didn't search for any artifact). 1-0

Did all damage with two Plated Geopedes. 2-0

jatill3 (landho) vs cognis (AI) - 2-0 (jatill3 (landho) +2 points)
Did most damage with a single Plated Geopede that was 11/11 during one attack. 1-0

Close game, but after I got my Terra Stompers in play, AI couldn't attack. 2-0

salbei vs jatill3 (landho) (AI) - 2-0 (salbei +2 points)
Got Chandra Nalaar + Chandra's Spitfire combo working and ended the game with Chandra's ultimate. 1-0

Double the Spitfires, double my fun. 2-0

salbei vs cognis (AI) - 2-0 (salbei +2 points)
Game crashed once AI cast its third Squadron Hawk. I was losing but might have made it, so I'll play the game again. 0-0

Controlled the whole game, destroyed all AI put to play. 1-0

Took some damage in the beginning, but soon gained control and won with three flyers. 2-0

cognis vs jatill3 (landho) (AI) - 2-0 (cognis +2 points)
White weenie victory with Honor of the Pure. 1-0

I have to mulligan twice to get even two lands. Luckily Squadron Hawk fills my hand and I win shortly. 2-0

cognis vs salbei (AI) - 2-1 (cognis +1 point)
Squadron of 3/3 Squadron Hawks wins the game. 1-0

I take a hand with four lands and draw nothing but lands and lifegain for a few turns. A sour defeat. 1-1

Almost let Chandra get to 8 loyalty before pecking her with hawks. Then I win slowly and surely when Ajani hits play. Found a bug too: When Mystifying Maze returns a creature to play, it loses any +1/+1 counters it had.
Shantak

Postby aww1979 » 11 Aug 2010, 19:32

That's actually legit, for all counters and enchantments to be stripped from an exiled creature when it returns to play.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Shantak » 11 Aug 2010, 19:40

aww1979 wrote:That's actually legit, for all counters and enchantments to be stripped from an exiled creature when it returns to play.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

I thought that would make cards like Momentary Blink less useful, but yeah, it says so right in the Gatherer entry. I guess that means you kill a Protean Hydra if you use Mystifying Maze on it.

(okay, any further discussion to another thread, let's keep this thread clean)
Shantak

Postby Brandon822 » 11 Aug 2010, 21:15

Group C

Juzamjedi 6
Brandon 3
Stroggoli 1

Juzamjedi (Human) Vs. Stroggoli 2-0

AI didn't do much in both games. Easy wins.

Juzamjedi (Human) vs. Brandon 2-1

Elspeth fueled Sigiled Paladin flew over my vampires.
Malakir BLoodwith.
Little vampires are too fast and lethal to AI.

Brandon (Human) vs. Stroggoli 2-0

Elspeth punped Battlegrace angel rides to victory.
AI has mana problems. Easy win.

Brandon (Human) Vs. Juzamjedi 2-1

Easy win. Didn't see witch.
Way too slow start for me and vampires feast me.
Elspeth + Ajani is lethal.

Stroggoli (Human) vs. Brandon 2-1

Ulamog +10/10
I'm stuck in two forest.
Very close. I'm left with one life point. Pelakka +10/10 finishes AI.

Stroggoli (Human) vs. Juzamjedi 1-2

Two early Nighthawks keeps me busy. Conscriptions comes too late and AI finishes me.
Fast Conscription finishes AI.
Got two lands at start, but after that I draw only Eldrazis. Vampires kills fast.
Brandon822

Postby Brandon822 » 12 Aug 2010, 21:47

Group D

Salbei 4
Cognis 4
Jatill Land-Ho 3

Jatill Land-Ho (human) vs Salbei 2-0

Fast win with two Terra Stomper.
Same story.

Jatill Land-Ho vs Cognis 2-1

Armored 6/6 Squadron Hawk kills me. Baloths came too late.
This time I'm bit faster and that leads me to victory.
Bit slower win this time. Lavaball Trap s keep opponents mana < 5 so that we don't see BA.

Salbei vs Jatill Land-Ho 2-0

Prodigal Pyromancer + Spitfire.
Hoarding Dragon races to victory. Opponent cast only one Terra Stomper despite 6 lands for about five turns.

Salbei vs Cognis 2-0

Ping ping ping.
Same story.

Cognis vs Jatill Land-Ho 2-0

Honor of the Pure + Squadron Hawks.
Knights hit fast and hard.

Cognis vs Salbei 2-0

Honor of the Pure + Squadron Hawks.
3 Honor of the Pure + Knights
Brandon822

Postby jatill » 13 Aug 2010, 19:14

6 people have fully reported. As of now the standings are:

Group A
jatill 35
monopman 18
scherbcneh 16

Group B
jatill2 40
aww 20
shantak 16

Group C
juzamjedi 25
brandon 22
stroggoli 18

Group D:
cognis 27
jatill3 22
salbei 21
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby scherbchen1 » 13 Aug 2010, 21:55

can't seem to unbug Pridemate and Ajani's ultimate at the moment and am going to refrain from playing bracket A due to myself being involved, it being somewhat close for second place and a plethora of bugs with my deck for many testers.

hopefully will have time to get some results in tomorrow for the other brackets.
scherbchen1

Postby stassy » 14 Aug 2010, 05:06

Those bug should have been fixed on the 8/11/10 update (see M11 thread)
stassy

Postby aww1979 » 14 Aug 2010, 12:23

Group A:
Monopoman vs Scherbchen AI:
Game 1: Jace draws me cards, including some Baneslayers. The first one is hit with Condemn, but BA#2 and #3 come down. AI stalls on the ground with *four* Ajani Pridemate, 2 honor of the pure, and Ajani Goldmane, but my BAs both have Sword of Vengeance. AI stalls a remarkably long time by playing a couple Goldenglow Moths, but I win. 1-0
Game 2: Scroll Thief is Condemned, and nobody casts anything for a couple turns. I have plenty of control, though, and counter two serra angels with Mana Leaks and condemn a couple guys. Then Sun Titan comes down and roflstomps. Damn that's a good card. 2-0

Monopoman vs Jatill titans AI:
Game 1: Mull crap hand to 6. I put put Jace and then Crystal Ball. AI isn't doing anything but Cultivate twice. BA hits the table, and AI uses Destructive Force. AI is also discarding when I use the +2 ability of Jace because its mana curve is some astronomical number requiring scientific notation to measure :p Crystal Ball finds me new lands with ease, and I mill with Jace once. Acidic Slime smashes a land, attacks Jace, and AI tries to play Inferno Titan, but I manaleak it. Aether Adept bounces an elf that's just been sitting there, and AI plays a second slime, killing Jace (lol). I play a second Jace and just stall, using +2 ability and Crystal Ball. I'm just stalling; AI's library is almost gone. It Cultivates, shrinking it even more. Then it plays Primeval Titan, but it can't find any basics left in the 8 cards remaining :p I wipe the board with Day of Judgement and laugh. AI down to 5 card library and nothing in play but 10 lands. I still haven't done a point of damage! Jace then mills the rest of AIs library away and I win, life totals 20-20. 1-0
Game 2: AI gets out Garruk; Aether Adept kills the first beast. I topdeck another one, kill the second beast, and attack garruk to kill it. Brittle Effigy wipes Primeval Titan and I swing for 4, but AI manages Destructive Force. Doh. AI draws lands and another garruk; I draw lots of unusable spells and get run over. 1-1
Game 3: Mulled a one land hand to 6. AI plays lots of mana dudes, then Garruk. I condemn two beasts, since I'm missing the second blue mana for my two adepts in hand :( AI taps out for Acidic Slime; I mana leak it, and attack garruk with scroll thief to kill it. I get a second scroll thief, hit AI with both next turn, get my second blue, and then Destructive Force hits. Geez. Fortunately I topdeck mostly lands this time, and Adepts soften AI up for Baneslayers to finish it; AI does nothing but an Elf and Birds, both of which adepts bounce, and AI never recasts. 2-1

Scherbchen vs Monopoman AI:
Game 1: mull to 6 (only had 1 land) Turn 1 serra ascendant, turn 2 ajani pridemate, attack with serra. Turn 3 swing for 4; AI just has Brittle Effigy. Turn 4 Ajani Goldmane, pump, swing, but AI condemns the pridemate, so I just deal 2. Life 29-13 :) AI misses its 4th land drop, and does nothing. Ajani gains me 2 life and I cast another Serra Ascendant. AI does nothing again and I attack for the win, even though AI condemns one SA, the other one alone is enough. 1-0
Game 2: 7-hand has 1 land; mulled. 6-hand has 0 land; mulled. 5-hand has 0 land; mulled. wtf? 4-hand has 3 plains and Ajani's Mantle. This is gonna be rough. AI gets an effigy, then an adept bounces my ascendant, but I just replay it. AI attacks and effigies my ascendant. I could condemn the adept (my only card in hand) but I'm afraid of baneslayer, and the mantle will keep me going awhile, so I take the hit. I get a pridemate, then another condemn, and AI gets Baneslayer; condemned. A second adept bounces my pridemate; I draw an ascendant and cast both. A 3rd adept bounes him again, but ai did it postcombat so I don't take 4. AI plays brittle effigy and jace. I draw a Moth, and pridemate doesn't get a counter from the mantle this turn. It gets hit with the effigy anyway, so it doesn't matter. 3 adepts attack; I condemn one, chump with the moth on another. I attack jace, but don't gain 1 life from lifelink. (bug? or is this the rule for planeswalkers?) AI attacks, then gets Baneslayer; I get pridemate. This time pridemate does get a counter, and I topdeck Condemn. Yay! BA takes it in the ass. Then I just sit back watching my mantle and pridemate grow, while AI gets scroll thief. I get another mantle. When pridemate gets to 7/7 he attacks and gets condemned. But that's enough life to pump my ascendant, so I'm still in great shape. The ascendant swings once before AI gets Day of Judgement (42-31 life) but I topdeck another ascendant. Loving the topdecks this game. I swing once, then my jaw hits the floor when AI *discards* a Day of Judgement down to 7 in hand. I swing again and play a topdecked baneslayer. Next turn it throws away a sun titan; I swing for 11. I attack again and win with 84 life. 2-0

Scherbchen vs jatill titans AI:
Game 1: Turn 2 Pridemate, swing for 2, turn 4 Ajani Goldmane, gain 2 life, swing for 3. AI cultivates. I gain 2 life, play BA, and swing for 4. AI plays garruk but doesn't activate it. I pump my creatures and swing for 11, and that's game. 1-0
Game 2: Turn 1 Birds of Paradise, Goldenglow Moth. Turn 2 Cultivate, Ajani Pridemate. Turn 3 Cultivate again, play and use Elixir of Immortality, swing for 3. Turn 4 Destructive Force, but I still have 2 plains in hand, and topdeck another. 3 turns of land-go on both sides. Turn 8 Llanowar Elves, Ajani Goldmane. Turn 9 Garruk (beast), Baneslayer. Turn 10 Acidic Slime; Honor of the Pure, Serra Ascendant, and make an avatar token. Wooo! My avatar looks like a Prosperity, but who cares? It's HUGE. When BA hits, my ascendant grows, and next turn my flyers swing for 13. 2-0

Jatill titans vs Monopoman AI:
Game 1: Turn 1 birds, turn 2 Cultivate. Turn 3 I try to Acidic Slime a land, but AI manaleaks it, then taps out to play Scroll Thief. Turn 4 I play Inferno Titan and smash the thief; AI bounces titan with Aether Adept. Turn 6 I replay the Titan and smash adept; AI plays Baneslayer. Turn 7 Inferno Titan swings, I pump twice and deal a total of 11; Mystifying Maze exiles BA, and AI plays another one. Turn 8 Titan swings (AI to 5) and AI has to chump with BA, then I play a second Inferno Titan and an elf; AI plays scroll thief. Turn 9 I attack and win. 1-0
Game 2: Opening hand is 6 land + birds. Hmm, lol. The mana curve is so high I think I'll actually keep this, though. Turn 4 I play Acidic Slime, destroying the Crystal Ball AI just put out. AI bounces it with an Adept (thanks!) so I replay it and smash land and put down an elf. Day of Judgement wipes the board. AI gets Jace; I get garruk. AI plays Scroll thief and Sword of Vengeance; my beast kills jace. AI drops BA, so I drop my Destructive Force; I have 4 land left, AI has 1, and I have garruk. Looks good. Garruk goes the distance, making a beast every 2 turns (so I don't lose garruk) and AI never casts a spell again. 2-0

Jatill Titans vs Scherbchen:
Game 1: First hand 5 lands and 2 Inferno Titans. A hand like this worked last game, but scherbchen's deck is much faster, so I decide to mull. I get 3 forest, slime, primeval titan, destructive force. Okay, I'll keep, but I don't have to like it! AI plays 3 elixir of immortality and a moth on its first 4 turns, even though it has only a single plains for mana. On turn 5 I cast my first spell; Acidic Slime, and destroy that one plains. LOL. Turn 6 I topdeck and play Primeval Titan, swing for 2. AI gets a plains and a second moth out I topdeck another Primeval Titan and swing; AI chumps slime with moth. AI plays an ascendant. I topdeck my third Primeval Titan in a row, swing, AI chumps with moth and ascendant, and is at 1 life. I have 22 lands in play. I swing for 20 and pull my last 4 basics into play. 1-0
Game 2: Elf, Birds, Inferno Titan, Slime, lands. Keeper for sure. Turn 1 elf; AI plays ascendant. Turn 2 birds; AI attacks with ascendant, which is not a usual AI play; I trade with the elf. Turn 3 land; AI plays and uses an Elixir. Turn 4 slime smashes plains; AI plays pridemate. Turn 5 I topdeck a land and play Inferno Titan, kill pridemate, and swing for 2; AI does nothing. Turn 5 I Cultivate for mountains, tap all red for the titan, and attack; AI condemns the titan. 26-18; AI does nothing. Turn 6 I draw Primeval Titan, swing for 2; AI hits a 4th land drop but still does nothing. I topdeck slime, play it, cultivate, and swing for 8; AI does nothing and I swing for 10 next turn and win. 2-0

(I didn't record any videos since nobody asked for them in the last tournament, so I didn't bother this time to save me effort)

Group A
Monopoman vs Scherbchen AI: 2-0 (+2 monopoman)
Monopoman vs Jatill titans AI: 2-1 (+1 monopoman)
Scherbchen vs Monopoman AI: 2-0 (+2 scherbchen)
Scherbchen vs jatill titans AI: 2-0 (+2 scherbchen)
Jatill titans vs Monopoman AI: 2-0 (+2 jatill titans)
Jatill titans vs Scherbchen AI: 2-0 (+2 jatill titans)

+4 jatill
+4 scherbchen
+3 monopoman
aww1979
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments