It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:40

Text Size

September tournament discussion

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: September tournament discussion

Postby thedrigo » 14 Sep 2010, 15:40

Cognis wrote:That's my vote as well although I also like your death to green deck, it would rule the tournament and I second banning of Natural Order, the deck is just to strong and takes variety out of the tournament.
Totally agree! I was gonna run something in that spectrum, but it was too damn boring....
thedrigo

Postby Aswan jaguar » 14 Sep 2010, 17:22

for future tournaments,I believe we should grant 1point for AI 2-1 defeats,too.It shows the effectiveness off the deck in AI hands.so 1 point for human winner-1point for AI looser?at least till we can make him smarter. :wink:
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Cognis » 14 Sep 2010, 18:57

We had discussion about the point system and taking one point from the player is significant enough, although new suggestion are always welcomed.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Nicdanger » 14 Sep 2010, 20:59

Reinstalling seems to have fixed the issue I was having. Is the unlocked version uploaded yet? I'm sure I'll need it eventually ...
Nicdanger

Postby Cognis » 14 Sep 2010, 21:57

Jatill posted it, I think it's in the results topic.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Aswan jaguar » 15 Sep 2010, 21:30

I haven't checked thoroughly other tournaments so how do you play the tour matches?Do you first try the decks in order to play them the best way they could,or you play right away.moreover do you check or test opponents deck before the tour match so you know how to play better against him?In my opinion that's the fairest way to play the decks.Of course,not everyone has the time for this,and most or all of you are so experienced that can figure out how to play each deck by a simple look on the deck editor.Anyway as an inexperienced player with newer than iso's cards I was just wondering...
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Brandon822 » 15 Sep 2010, 22:03

I usually just check the deck list and play without testing, but if I'm not sure what is the best way to play the deck, I play test a bit. Like in this tournament aww's deck. In some tournaments(before I send my deck) I have not play tested my own deck at all, in these cases deck has been fairly simple for AI to play. I usually run few 10-round gauntlets against legacy decks and then against AI about 5 to 10 matches with different decks. That is if I have a time.

I build decks mostly by around some card(like in this tournament around Bloodbraid Elf). It's not the best way to build a deck, but that's the way I like it and at least enjoy playing. In these tournaments I also want to make more competitive deck(than fun), because I think there shouldn't be too much pushover decks. It keeps things interesting and people can't just make some garbage deck and try to win with it. People tend to make more creative decks when they know that, there are going to be real challenge if they are going to win.

And I think Natural Order should be banned, in this normal legacy at least.
Last edited by Brandon822 on 16 Sep 2010, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon822

Postby Aswan jaguar » 15 Sep 2010, 23:04

Brandon822 wrote:And I think Natural Order should be banned, in this normal legacy at least.
I totally agree,it is too powerful.As Jatill I think mentioned we should ban it for tournaments to come as the wishes.Unless someone holds an all cards,4 of all permitted :o
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby thedrigo » 16 Sep 2010, 02:18

Salbei wrote:Are you kidding me ?
I had to replace Progenitus with the inferior Simic Sky Swallower after you pm´d me about it(you play a Green / Blue Deck and aren´t allowed to play Progenitus)making the deck pretty much useless.
And now you let Jatill play Progenitus in a white green deck just because he is using the duals but not the cards?

Seriously wtf :roll:

If its like that take out a Forest and put in a Gemstone Mine so my deck is 5 color and i can play Progenitus instead too.Thats just BS.
I know this is a bit late, but I hadn't read it. It did seem weird to not see Progenitus in a Natural Order deck... I really didn't understand why Jatill was allowed to run him in his deck and Salbei wasn't. To me, it really does seem unfair... I'm not saying this in detriment to anybody, but I do think everyone should've been given the same treatment.

Just my 2 cents.
thedrigo

Postby aww1979 » 16 Sep 2010, 06:28

Aswan jaguar wrote:I haven't checked thoroughly other tournaments so how do you play the tour matches?Do you first try the decks in order to play them the best way they could,or you play right away.moreover do you check or test opponents deck before the tour match so you know how to play better against him?In my opinion that's the fairest way to play the decks.Of course,not everyone has the time for this,and most or all of you are so experienced that can figure out how to play each deck by a simple look on the deck editor.Anyway as an inexperienced player with newer than iso's cards I was just wondering...
Generally the deck is pretty obvious, since usually they are designed to be easy to play for the AI. (and thus the human as well) If you aren't sure about how to play a deck, I think it's perfectly legitimate to test it out, but I would suggest testing against decks that are not involved in the tournament, either your regular playdecks, a mirror match, or last month's tournament decks, to keep things fair.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Aswan jaguar » 16 Sep 2010, 13:38

Generally the deck is pretty obvious, since usually they are designed to be easy to play for the AI. (and thus the human as well) If you aren't sure about how to play a deck, I think it's perfectly legitimate to test it out, but I would suggest testing against decks that are not involved in the tournament, either your regular playdecks, a mirror match, or last month's tournament decks, to keep things fair
Yes thats what I do,play,test against decks outside this tournament.As you mentioned that's the fairest thing to do.Moreover I tried your suggestions on how to play with your deck,since it was my first time,playing with such a big deck and I was really confused :?
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby aww1979 » 16 Sep 2010, 22:32

Heh, well don't worry about it, it wasn't a serious entry, and I don't expect to do very well with it. I like playing with those big decks because of the variety, as well as the fact that it gives the AI a fighting chance :p
aww1979
Tester

Postby monopoman » 17 Sep 2010, 01:29

Hey Cognis is this tournament definitely going to be over before September ends?

Just making sure my requiring decks to be in around like the 4th of October will work :P.
monopoman

Postby Cognis » 17 Sep 2010, 08:28

Since nobody posted new results in two days I'll take it everyone that wished to test did. I'll give you a few more hours to test and then we'll kick off the next stage of the tournament.
Cognis
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 17 Sep 2010, 09:23

I can try and get them done before sunday, but if you want to move on ahead without my results, that's fine. Group C is the only one where one player's results have a real chance of changing things anyway.
aww1979
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments