It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:49

Text Size

September tournament discussion

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: September tournament discussion

Postby Cognis » 11 Sep 2010, 20:44

Aww it would be great if you could explain how to play your deck effectively. I tried testing it but I didn't have much luck with it.
Cognis
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 11 Sep 2010, 22:37

Heh, interesting decks everybody. I see a few ideas I'd considered. In particular, both of Cognis's decks look like ideas I'd thought about. In the end, I just kind of combined all my ideas into one giant ass deck and added Battle of Wits :p

Anyway, for playing my deck, since I doubt anybody has played 499 card decks before (I like them!) I have a few general suggestions:

-Play with alphabetizing library searches. Believe me, when you use Survival of the Fittest or a fetchland, you'll be glad you did.
-Academy Rector searches for Battle of Wits (the only other choice is Survival of the Fittest)
-Take your time when playing the deck. Even the choice of lands can make a big difference, as many come into play tapped or whatever. Evaluate all your options carefully, and then pick one. Even if you only have one play, consider whether it is worth making that play (i.e. maybe facing wrath of god or something)
-there are lots of one-of creatures to search for with Survival or Fauna Shaman, designed to screw with the metagame. Take a careful look, you might find a hoser in there for whatever you are facing.
-there are roughly 70-80 cards of each colour except green, which had something like 110, hence why there are extra basic forests. Thus, when fetching, getting green is slightly more important if you don't have one already
-also when fetching, take the ones that come into play tapped unless you require the mana right away, then take an alpha dual
-my experience with these giant decks in the past is that they are most vulnerable in the first few turns before you stabilize. if you can last long enough, you can do extremely well, particularly once you get tutor effects going (in this case survival and fauna shaman mostly) as you have so many choices. So, do what you can to keep alive, and the longer the game goes, the greater your chances of winning.

Also, it seems I will be here for september, but not the first week of october, so I can test this month.

edit: I'll also put up a video of my matches with my deck. The other thing I suggest is that having lots of lands in the opening hand is more important than many other decks, so don't be afraid to mulligan if you need. Also, don't worry too much if you go 0-2 with my deck :p It was not tested very much at all, and is just for fun.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Cognis » 11 Sep 2010, 23:36

How do you alphabetize the search? I had it alphabetized on xp and now it's random, but I didn't change anything. I would really like it alphabetized but I don't know how.
Cognis
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 12 Sep 2010, 01:49

In the config.txt, find this line:

// Alphabetize your deck any time you look at it.
AlphabetizeDeck:1

If it says 0 instead of 1, it will not alphabetize.
aww1979
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 12 Sep 2010, 07:37

<erased, see other september thread>
Last edited by aww1979 on 12 Sep 2010, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Cognis » 12 Sep 2010, 10:00

Aww could you move the results to the results folder, thanks for the tip.
Cognis
Tester

Postby jatill » 12 Sep 2010, 13:01

I'll upload an unlocked version Monday.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Cognis » 13 Sep 2010, 18:50

There are some interesting results for now with both Nicdanger and Aswan jaguar doing really well in their first tournament. As expected group B is totally tied where all the players are tied at 11 points after 3 players reported, it's going to be really close.
Cognis
Tester

Postby jatill » 13 Sep 2010, 19:14

I'm hoping to finally win one of these (2nd pace last time, getting closer...), but some of the decks from the other groups can give me trouble for sure. I really think that in any future Legacy event, Natural Order needs to be banned. The AI is just too danged good at that card :)

The max 8 spells + multicolored requirements make this an interesting variant. Thanks for running it, Cognis.

aww-
What's your prize card gonna be, since I assume you win the card for best gimmick deck :)
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Cognis » 13 Sep 2010, 20:21

That's my vote as well although I also like your death to green deck, it would rule the tournament and I second banning of Natural Order, the deck is just to strong and takes variety out of the tournament.
Cognis
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 13 Sep 2010, 20:45

I was actually thinking the same thing about Natural Order, but was afraid that it would sound like complaining as it wtfpwns my Battle of Wits. (well EVERYTHING wtfpwns battle of wits, but whatever :p)
aww1979
Tester

Postby Nicdanger » 14 Sep 2010, 10:38

I've found a bug with Grave Titan, which I'm assuming is limited to just my install. It appears ok in the deck editor but in game it shows as a 2/1 white flyer that cost 4BB.

Unless anyone knows why and/or how to fix it I'm going to wait for the version Jatill uploads before I test anymore.

EDIT: This actually happens with the other Titan in Cognis' deck as well. I'm going to upload a savegame I did just to test it again. Also, is there a section of the forums devoted to bugs like this? The only thing I can find thats close says "not for existing cards".

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x29dq1f63 ... tanBug.rar
Nicdanger

Postby Cognis » 14 Sep 2010, 11:11

It works fine for me. Jatill made the update with the unlocked cards try that, if it doesn't work you probably need the M11 update.
Cognis
Tester

Postby jatill » 14 Sep 2010, 12:04

Nicdanger wrote:I've found a bug with Grave Titan, which I'm assuming is limited to just my install. It appears ok in the deck editor but in game it shows as a 2/1 white flyer that cost 4BB.

Unless anyone knows why and/or how to fix it I'm going to wait for the version Jatill uploads before I test anymore.

EDIT: This actually happens with the other Titan in Cognis' deck as well. I'm going to upload a savegame I did just to test it again. Also, is there a section of the forums devoted to bugs like this? The only thing I can find thats close says "not for existing cards".

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x29dq1f63 ... tanBug.rar
Make sure you are running the constructed version, not custom.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Nicdanger » 14 Sep 2010, 12:12

I'm running constructed, and and using the version from this thread (which I assume is the M11 one Cognis mentioned) . .

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3113

Edit: I also just tried it out in the custom version, seems to work fine there.
Nicdanger

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments