It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 00:44

Text Size

October Tourney Decks are Accepted until Oct 4th

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

October Tourney Decks are Accepted until Oct 4th

Postby monopoman » 12 Sep 2010, 17:51

Well I would be very interested in running an EDH tourney I think I am getting a little tired of every tourney except 2 of the last like 7 or whatever being Legacy.

I am hoping Jatill has no problem with 5 cards for prize support of this tourney. I think EDH is a wonderful format and has a great variety of deck types especially since we lack some of the more broken generals.

Besides all the cards we are banning for every tourney we will be using the EDH banned list which includes.

* Ancestral Recall
* Balance
* Biorhythm
* Black Lotus
* Coalition Victory
* Fastbond
* Gifts Ungiven
* Kokusho, the Evening Star
* Karakas
* Library of Alexandria
* Limited Resources
* Lion's Eye Diamond
* Tolarian Academy *NEW*
* Channel *NEW*
* Metalworker
* Mox Sapphire, Ruby, Pearl, Emerald and Jet
* Panoptic Mirror
* Protean Hulk
* Recurring Nightmare
* Sway of the Stars
* Time Vault
* Time Walk
* Tinker
* Upheaval
* Worldgorger Dragon
* Yawgmoth's Bargain
* Painter's Servant
* Staff of Domination *NEW*

Additionally the following legends should not be used as a General:

* Braids, Cabal Minion (Effective 2009-06-20)
* Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary (Effective 2010-06-20)

If you want the full rules of deck construction check out the official EDH site.
http://www.dragonhighlander.net/rules.php
Last edited by monopoman on 01 Oct 2010, 07:10, edited 2 times in total.
monopoman

Re: October Tourney

Postby Shantak » 12 Sep 2010, 20:05

Sounds fun. A few questions:

EDH games can take a lot longer than usual games. Do we take that into account when thinking about the format (groups or 1vs1 brackets or something else) or real time duration of the rounds (is one week enough for the first round).

Second, is it okay to play Serra Ascendant, a 6/6 lifelinker potentially on the first turn? What about Felidar Sovereign?
Shantak

Postby Cognis » 12 Sep 2010, 20:41

I don't see why not, you have a 7% chance to start with it so that's not a big problem. EDH takes a few minutes to play and I didn't feel like it takes really much longer to play. I made a few decks and played EDH extensively in custom so I don't think they will be all that long.
Cognis
Tester

Postby monopoman » 12 Sep 2010, 21:54

EDH games take a bit longer but really I don't think it is that much longer. Also the AI is more likely to do well with the simpler decks which when facing each other result in beat down match ups.

Like I said that list is updated and Serra Ascendant has not been found to be too powerful at this time. I am sure they are watching it though that is for sure.

Nearly every card they have targeted were key components in ridiculous 1v1 EDH decks that violate the spirit of the game.
monopoman

Postby Cognis » 12 Sep 2010, 22:15

I'm glad Balance is banned but I loved Karakas, it is in every EDH deck I made, regardles of colour.
Cognis
Tester

Postby monopoman » 12 Sep 2010, 22:58

Probably because you can bounce opponents Legends with it.

Like they tap out to play their General then you Karakas it.

Also you can't play any land you want in your deck like you can't use Gaea's Cradle in a deck with Nicol Bolas as the general since it taps for G and Nicol only has RUB in his casting cost. You also can't play Arcane Sanctum in a deck with Nicol Bolas as the general because it taps for WUB and Nicol only allows cards that tap for R or B or U or RB or UB or RUB or colorless.

Cards that can fetch basics though can be played even if they reference ones you can't use for instance you can use Wooded Foothills in a Nicol Bolas deck even though it references forest and Nicol can't play with an actual forest card in his deck.

Like I said read the full rules before ya build a deck. This game does not understand the restrictions for the EDH rule base at all.

You also can't play Kitchen Finks in a deck with say Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero as the general since she does not have green in her casting cost.

There are more deck restrictions based on General then just the banned list.
monopoman

Postby aww1979 » 13 Sep 2010, 01:46

Seems like a good idea to me. I've never played this format, other than one afternoon testing the feature in manalink right after it was coded. I also do not plan to run a tournament in October, as I will be out of province for a week that month.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Cognis » 13 Sep 2010, 06:27

Those are similar restrictions to the ones I imposed in this months tournament. I thought about running EDH but since we got a late start in the tournament I thought Legacy being a better format.
Cognis
Tester

Postby jatill » 13 Sep 2010, 12:17

Tournament sounds good to me. I'll gladly do the 5-card prize.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby juzamjedi » 15 Sep 2010, 00:37

I missed this month's tournament due to work obligations. I would love to play in the EDH tournament though :)

A quick question. In "real" EDH you lose if you take 21 points of general damage. Is this rule implemented in Manalink's EDH?
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Cognis » 15 Sep 2010, 10:13

Yes, I've won a couple of matches that way
Cognis
Tester

Postby juzamjedi » 20 Sep 2010, 21:29

So. Do I submit the deck that is more fun, or the deck that is more likely to win? This is EDH after all so I wasn't sure if fun factor mattered more than actual tournament results.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Cognis » 20 Sep 2010, 22:36

You can't make an EDH deck that's not fun, since you get only 1 copy of each card you can put cards with higher mana cost which tend to be more fun, any EDH deck has a luck factor involved and the matches last longer than leagacy matches so which ever deck is submitted its bound to be fun.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Nicdanger » 26 Sep 2010, 23:54

I've noticed a few legends that don't seem to work as generals: Child of Alara and Visara the Dreadful. I doubt I'm going to use them in the deck I enter but just thought I would post about it.
Nicdanger

Postby monopoman » 29 Sep 2010, 23:36

Okay I am hoping to get deck lists in by October the 4th so far I have 0 deck lists.

You should have 105 cards in your deck when you finish building in this program.

99 cards of your choice
5 cards of your general to let the game know it is your general
1 EDH card in your deck to let the computer know your playing EDH.

In addition to the banned list in the first post we will also be banning the normal list of cards for these types of tourneys like Wishes etc..

Prize structure will be.

2 cards to first place
1 card to second place
1 card to third place

1 card distributed to the most fun deck of the tournament. I will make a thread to vote for the decks after round 1 ends.
monopoman

Next

Return to Tournaments