It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:12

Text Size

Suggestion for November tournament

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Suggestion for November tournament

Postby monopoman » 14 Oct 2010, 23:03

I was thinking maybe we could have a sealed Zendikar or M11 tournament for the next one.

If you would be interested in this format I would appreciate posting your information here.

I would basically generate the sealed pools for each individual with the program then post them here. That way people can't just keep generating for the ultimate sealed pool over and over.

Figure we might as well use the Limited feature of the game now and then...

We would not use the sealed builder to build the deck you would basically just use the deck build in limited magic and then add as much basic land as you choose. I am thinking 1 Starter and 3 Packs per person.

Obviously we would stick to the 40 card decks and there will be no SBing or changing the deck once the tourney starts and the deck lists are submitted.
monopoman

Re: Suggestion for November tournament

Postby Cognis » 14 Oct 2010, 23:53

Sounds really interesting but I'm not quite sure how it would work but I would definitely be interested.
Cognis
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 15 Oct 2010, 00:55

That's a really good idea. I think that would work really well, assuming people are interested in it. It's more luck-based than the other ways, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The one real concern is the AI intelligence. I don't play sealed deck much, but when I do, the AI basically never wins, so we will have a lot more 2-0 results, and possibly a lot of ties in points.
aww1979
Tester

Postby jatill » 15 Oct 2010, 12:11

I'm down with this idea. The AI can't be any worse at sealed than it is with EDH!
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Shantak » 15 Oct 2010, 15:32

I love this idea, and had I been hosting a tournament I would have done something similar as well. My idea would have been:

1) Everyone has the same card pool, which is something like 1 of every M11 uncommon, 2 of every M11 common and two non-mythic rares of your choice. This way there will be no chance element in deck creation.

OR

2) Each of us creates a M11 draft deck using http://draft.bestiaire.org/index.php - but this means we simply draft against computer and would mean we simply have to trust one another so that no one cheats creating the deck.

Your choice of creating a sealed pool for everyone is kind of a mix between the two, so I'm really interested in it.
Shantak

Postby juzamjedi » 15 Oct 2010, 23:09

Well I absolutely LOVE to draft and prefer it over sealed. Sealed is fine as long as there is a "fair" way to generate the card pools. Obviously some people will get better pools we just need to prevent the "infinite tries until perfect pool" scenario.

If people are interested in drafting I will suggest that we could host a live draft of a set over at tappedout.net. This could be done with a "cube" of all cards created in Manalink or it could be done as M11 draft, etc.

The big downside to draft is we are all in different time zones. Scheduling a time that works for everyone is probably going to be a big effort. I just think it would be really cool to try a draft at some point.

All of the above suggestions seem fine to me and I like limited so I would be fine with playing.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Cognis » 16 Oct 2010, 00:40

Well I'm in GMT+1 zone and most of us are from Europe or the Americas so it could be done. Maybe the person who holds the tournament could "open" the boosters and post the card pool and we could take turns in picking cards. We would pretty much know each deck we would play against but since we're playing the AI and have no sideboards I don't think it would be a big deal.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Nicdanger » 22 Oct 2010, 06:10

I vote that Jatill writes some code to allow a 2 headed giant format . .

JUST KIDDING!!! Whatever you guys decide I'm cool with!
Nicdanger

Postby jatill » 26 Oct 2010, 12:05

Since the October tournament is over, can someone officially start the November tournament? I'm hoping the rules are laid out by the 28th, since I am without a computer from the 29th until the 8th.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Return to Tournaments