It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:09

Text Size

MRD Tournament - Game commentary/Discussion

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: MRD Tournament - Game commentary/Discussion

Postby aww1979 » 21 Dec 2010, 04:49

juzamjedi wrote:For what it is worth I am also interested in getting feedback on my own deck. Which card(s) did I put in that aren't working out well for you guys?
A lot of the games I've had with your deck seem to be fairly close, on both sides. If the AI gets Bitterblossom, it's quite tough to beat, for instance, and several times I nearly got screwed when AI countered or stole some valuable creature. I also got screwed by Timetwister at least once; I remember getting a really awesome Fact or Fiction off and then the AI used Timetwister right after and I lost it all.

I'm generally not a fan of bounce cards, so I don't really enjoy playing with Boomerang or Recoil, though there's nothing really wrong with them; it's just a play style thing. (I like Man-o'-War, though; I think he's great) I also don't really like Careful Consideration; I'd probably have played Concentrate over that, assuming it was available. (I don't think anyone took it) I also don't really like Pestermite, but again, that's more of a play style thing.

I was rather skeptical about Sea Drake, until I actually saw him being played. He did a lot better than I thought he would.

Silvergill Adept, while ordinarily a great card, was rather weak here. I think every time I got him I had to cast him for 4U.

The deck overall was quite fun to play. There's a bunch of cool things to do, like Empyrial Plate on Cold-Eyed Selkie, or Brainstorm/fetchland, and countermagic always is fun, since you have to make decisions on whether to keep your mana ready for it or tap out to play threats. The black side of the deck felt almost like an afterthought, though; thematically it didn't seem to fit very well. Also, at least one game that I can remember, the AI got screwed because it got 2 or 3 swamps and no blue mana for the first several turns, and just sat there doing nothing. That's a danger in any deck, but I think it's a bit higher here when you need UU for counters and several other spells.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Nicdanger » 21 Dec 2010, 05:57

I had the thought of taking out the Armageddon and Ravages of War for something, the AI just isn't that good with them and they rarely help.

War Priest of Thune was included for Oath, Worship, and the numerous Control Magic effects that this tournament includes. Harrow was included to feed Knight of Reliquary and Terravore, and my sac lands got snatched up before I was expecting them to be.

As for the mana, the curve is extremely low. There are 30 cards between 1 and 3cc, 4 mana dudes, a signet, and Harrow. Don't be afraid to mulligan if your hand doesn't look very fast!
Nicdanger

Postby Aswan jaguar » 21 Dec 2010, 13:36

Jatill wrote:
This and all future updates have the option of unlocking all cards with a change of the config file.

// Unlock all locked cards
TournamentMode:1

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4396y11vk ... 101220.zip
I patched this but I don't see anywhere in the config file // Unlock all locked cards

is it somewhere else? and cards are still locked.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby jatill » 21 Dec 2010, 13:50

Aswan jaguar wrote:Jatill wrote:
This and all future updates have the option of unlocking all cards with a change of the config file.

// Unlock all locked cards

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4396y11vk ... 101220.zip
I patched this but I don't see anywhere in the config file // Unlock all locked cards

is it somewhere else? and cards are still locked.
Add those 2 lines to your config file.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Aswan jaguar » 21 Dec 2010, 18:20

Anyone got this: card code 0x020023e8(0x6c) Trashed registers . It was against Aww deck is it Oath?
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby aww1979 » 21 Dec 2010, 23:10

I think I remember seeing that a couple times but I cannot remember what decks were involved. I do remember I just clicked on it and it went away without any noticeable affect.
aww1979
Tester

Postby juzamjedi » 22 Dec 2010, 04:00

Thanks for the feedback!

I knew Sea Drake would be a good card for me that no one else would want. I mean how many aggro blue decks can you support in a draft? LOL

Silvergill Adept is really good feedback, because I thought he was mostly OK. I drafted Wistful Selkie too so maybe it should be added and/or replace this card.

The theme of the deck is "cheap unblockable creatures with countermagic backup". It's a Fish deck even though there aren't a ton of fish (Sygg, River Cutthroat would be awesome, except he isn't coded for example). I started with more black cards originally and gradually removed them to make all of my UU spells easier to cast.

Take a look at my sideboard, I am curious what would you suggest adding/removing?
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 22 Dec 2010, 06:24

I think I'd get rid of Boomerang and Careful Consideration for Cursecatcher and Wistful Selkie, and maybe remove Pestermite for one of your counters, like Cancel or Negate, but I'm not 100% sure about that last one.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Nicdanger » 24 Dec 2010, 17:24

Curious how close everyone is to finishing thier matches. I'll be out of town for 3-4 days so if they all come in before then I won't be around to start up round 2!

@ Juzamjedi: Careful Consideration should definitely come out, I've seen the AI tap out to cast it during its own combat phase :( . I do like Boomerang in there but more fish might be better as Aww suggested.
Nicdanger

Postby aww1979 » 17 Jan 2011, 02:58

Were we ever going to do the next round of this tournament?
aww1979
Tester

Postby Shantak » 17 Jan 2011, 06:39

We're considering the changes to our decks now and then it should continue. However, while thinking of possible changes to my deck, I couldn't decide what to take out, and so my deck will continue like it was in the first round.
Shantak

Postby Cognis » 17 Jan 2011, 10:18

For now I only made one change and that it Dragonskull Summit for Swamp, everything else takes more consideration, I have a few great cards that I could put it but I don't know what to take out, Violent Ultimatum is closest to being thrown out, it's a great card and can change the match but with only one copy and no way to get it when you need it I think I'll probably change it for something else.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Cognis » 17 Jan 2011, 21:55

Here's the deck. Only a few changes.

Swamp -> Dragonskull Summit
Violent Ultimatum -> Beacon of Destruction
Quirion Dryad -> Honden of Infinite Rage

I thought about Red Elemental Blast and such but decided against it feeling I need more burn since Violent Ultimatum wouldn't help me against things that can obliterate me like Akroma, Progenitus and the like. Quirion Dryad is a good card but I have a lot of green cards that won't trigger her and decided that pinging for 1 or together with Goblin Sharpshooter, especially backed up with Awakening Zone can do more harm. I can hardly compete with Monopman or Shantak in the later game so being more aggro goes in my favour and as far as Nicdanger, well it depends on the hands we get and pinging can really help me against weenies.
Attachments
Cognis-draftdeck.rar
(900 Bytes) Downloaded 535 times
Cognis
Tester

Postby Cognis » 22 Jan 2011, 23:04

I just figured out which card I want coded, Mutilate, I don't know if I'll win it this time or will I have to wait. I wish I choose it instead of Withered Wretch.
Cognis
Tester

Previous

Return to Tournaments