It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:55

Text Size

Jan Tournament - Single Set Audtion

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Jan Tournament - Single Set Audtion

Postby Aswan jaguar » 07 Jan 2011, 17:47

Just a suggestion specially know we are using templates.Please put date/time to know what results-comments are new, to know what to read,since you are not warned that knew posts are made.I thought that no one played games last 2-3 days.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby aww1979 » 07 Jan 2011, 21:48

Which scoring system are we using? I finished round A and want to know how to score it.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Salbei » 08 Jan 2011, 09:52

The old system.
2-0 win = 2 points for the Player
2-1 win = 1 points for the Player
1-2 loss = 3 points for the AI
0-2 loss = 5 points for the AI

Unless i made a mistake it should look like this:

---

The win rate : score is quite interesting.
(Update after Salbei, Jatill , Shantak and Aww reported:)

Shantak / 25 points @ 51,92% (27 of 52 games won)
Aww / 18 points @ 42,31% (22 of 52 games won)
Jatill / 23 points @ 51,92% (27 of 52 games won)
240sxForever / 27 points @ 54% (27 of 50 games won)

Jatill and Shantak both got the same win rate, but Shantak is ahead 2 points.
240sxForever is just slightly ahead and will most likely advance.
Aww is pretty much out at this point unless the AI wins a couple games when other people report.

There are still 4 reports missing so almost everything is possible.
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby aww1979 » 08 Jan 2011, 13:16

Thanks. I updated my post on the other thread; everyone in group A got 6 points except me, who got 5.

A few comments on the decks of group A:

Shantak (Zendikar): I am not familiar with the set, so I don't know if there were better card choices, but the deck seemed fairly good in general. The one thing that did bother me was the relative lack of early plays. Some games I was a bit nervous because I'd have 3 or 4 land in my first hand but all my spells would cost like 5-6. I think that made it tough for the AI to play as well; if memory serves, I had one match where the other deck won both games and the only spell cast in either was Harrow.

Aww1979 (Beta): I'd been hoping my deck did better :p If I could change things, I'd probably remove Disenchant (nobody used anything it was needed against; I'd been fearing hosers like Moat) and Black Vise; with people's smaller hand sizes, I don't think it ever did any damage except one game when the AI got it. In their place I would include Library of Leng, to get around my 3 card hand size, and something else, not sure what yet.

Jatill (Fallen Empires): You built almost exactly the deck I would have if I'd had this set. I have to ask though, where the hell is Breeding Pit? I'd have put that in instead of Draconian Cylix. It was a shame the AI didn't play this deck better.

240sxforever (Antiquities): Again, pretty much the deck I would have built, with one notable exception. Where was Mishra's Workshop???? There were a few other cards here that were terrible, but there wasn't any better to replace them with. (Coral Helm, Ornithopter) I might've thrown in some other junk like Tawnos's Weaponry, but it's not a big difference either way.
aww1979
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 09 Jan 2011, 00:10

@Salbei: you h4xor! Serra Ascendant on turn 1 when you start at 30 life is eeeevil :p
@AswanJaguar: I'd thought Ring of Ma'Ruf was banned, so what I did in the match I played with it was to get a card that was 1) not already in the deck and 2) was in arabian nights, in this case it was Island of Wak-Wak.

Also, I could be wrong, but didn't Arabian Nights have multiple copies of some of the common cards, like Antiquities or Fallen Empires?
aww1979
Tester

Postby Salbei » 09 Jan 2011, 02:24

Just be happy that i had to cut Whispersilk Cloak and Sword of Vengeance (AI didn´t equip it - that is why i cut it).

Especially Whispersilk Cloak would have been really nasty.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Shantak » 09 Jan 2011, 09:27

aww1979 wrote:Shantak (Zendikar): I am not familiar with the set, so I don't know if there were better card choices, but the deck seemed fairly good in general. The one thing that did bother me was the relative lack of early plays.
Now that you mention it, that's true. I should have counted the mana costs more carefully when creating a deck, but with singleton cards there are only so many low-cost cards you can have. Luckily I have some mana ramping there, but that's still not too fast. 5 cards and 30 life would have probably been much better for my deck than 6 cards and 15 life.

aww1979 wrote:Also, I could be wrong, but didn't Arabian Nights have multiple copies of some of the common cards, like Antiquities or Fallen Empires?
Checking from Gatherer, some commons have two multiverse ids in Arabian Nights like Erg Raiders here: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... erseid=916 - but I'm not sure what that means in practice.

Other than that, I remember there were accidentally some Mountains printed in Arabian Nights while there were no other basic lands. And that's why Mountain is the most printed basic land there is. Not t hat I ever opened a single booster, that's just some trivia I've read.
Shantak

Re: Jan Tournament - Single Set Audtion - decks due 1/1/11

Postby Shantak » 09 Jan 2011, 22:01

juzamjedi wrote:OK, so time to unveil my secret weapon. The most broken card in my pool is named Umezawa - Tetsuo Umezawa.
After playing with and against your deck I now realize how Tetsuo Umezawa is broken and I'm glad he is - it made playing far more interesting.

And just now I realized that I maybe should have changed Grim Discovery for Greed perhaps... since I wouldn't have won that last 2-1 game without it. Should I let that be, replay it or judge it a loss? And do we change Grim Discovery for Greed then?
Shantak

Postby Salbei » 09 Jan 2011, 22:59

Cognis report today lead to this:

Score Overview Group A

Shantak 28 points (Salbei 6 / Jatill 5 / Shantak 8 / Aww 6 / Cognis 3) @ 49,25% win rate (33/67)
Aww 22 points (Salbei 4 / Jatill 6 / Shantak 3 / Aww 5 / Cognis 4) @ 33,33% win rate (22/66)
Jatill 29 points (Salbei 5 / Jatill 6 /Shantak 6 / Aww 6 / Cognis 6) @ 53,03% win rate (35/66)
240sxForever 36 points (Salbei 6 / Jatill 6 / Shantak 9 / Aww 6 / Cognis 9) @ 55,56% win rate (35/63)

---

Jatill caught up and went from 3rd to 2nd while 240sxForever is almost guaranteed to advance now.
It will be a close race between Jatill and Shantak for the 2nd place at the moment.
Jatill and 240sxForever both got 35 wins at the moment while Shantak fell slightly behind with 33 (he played the most games and 240sxForever the fewest).

There are still 3 incomplete reports for Group A.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby aww1979 » 09 Jan 2011, 23:12

Hmm, looks like I'm going to be last place in both the SSA and the draft :( At least I won November :D
aww1979
Tester

Postby Salbei » 09 Jan 2011, 23:16

Your deck is alright, i would have build it roughly the same.
I wonder how much the auction played into this - a card more and i´m sure the outcome would have been a lot different.
Guess we´ll never know.

Especially the discading part of the handicap hurts your deck a lot.The initial hand doesn´t matter that much in my oppinion.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Cognis » 09 Jan 2011, 23:18

Yeah, one more card would make a big difference but in my opinion I really don't think you needed Counterspell, it's UU and that is sometimes hard to get, I only used it once and that was to counter Hymn to Tourach and I only had Counterspell in hand.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Salbei » 09 Jan 2011, 23:24

I would have played Wall of Swords , but that just me.
I didn´t even think of Library of Leng that you mentioned - that would have been very smart.

Personally i would have cut the Disenchant. Wouldn´t have made much of a difference though.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby aww1979 » 09 Jan 2011, 23:45

I never even considered any of the walls, because I have an awful dislike of walls :p I maybe should've used some weenies to deter early attacks. I'd considered a few smaller creatures like Sedge Troll or Uthden Troll; that might've been better. I'd had Psionic Blast instead of Counterspell before, but on Juzamjedi's advice I switched it. In retrospect, I think that was a mistake to use Counterspell, though. If I could do it again, I'd remove Disenchant, Counterspell, and maybe even Black Vise and use some cheap creatures that would stall, like the above mentioned trolls, or White/Black Knight, or something of that nature. If I removed Black Vise, I could've also used Mind Twist, but I'd be unlikely to get it off for more than maybe 2, and that would probably be into the midgame. Sadly I didn't think of Library of Leng until actually playing in the tournament and realizing that it would've circumvented my small hand size penalty.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Aswan jaguar » 10 Jan 2011, 05:12

Well,that was like one of the challenges for you aww1979 and a nasty one!Library of Leng is a card most decks don't use but woulb be an MVP addition to your deck,disenchant although uselles against Jatill&Shantak it was valuable against 240sxForever's deck for me and for AI.I don't think though 3mana creatures,defenders would be much of a help.As for Black Vice it was the card that hurt me more in AI's hand,since most decks begin with 8 cards hand and it made damage for me,too 2-3 times made 10-15 damage by itself.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments