It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:40

Text Size

September tournament - tournament aborted

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

September tournament - tournament aborted

Postby Shantak » 01 Sep 2011, 06:45

No decks from juzamjedi yet, but here's the bracket and the decks. I wasn't completely random there, as I placed juzamjedi's decks against jatill and Stroggoii's decks in case we don't get decks from juzamjedi and you'll just get byes (or, if you'd like something to play, I could whip up a quick unused Standard archetype deck for you both to face).

Juzamjedi, if you are still able to join us with your decks, you're welcome. I trust you won't peek at the other decks to see what you would be facing ;)

Code: Select all
   jatill_1                                              Shantak_2
          |                                              |
          SemifinalistA1                    SemifinalistB1
          |            |                    |            |
juzamjedi_1            |                    |            jatill_2
                       FinalistA -- FinalistB             
  Shantak_1            |                    |            Stroggoii_2
          SemifinalistA2                    SemifinalistB2
Stroggoii_1                                              juzamjedi_2
For the first round, I think a week would be enough - especially if we get no more decks. So the deadline for the first round shall be Friday 23th. Each match played will be best of three.

The scoring is following (stolen from previous tournament):
Player-AI 2-0 2p - 0p
Player-AI 2-1 2p - 1,5p
Player-AI 1-2 1p - 3p
Player-AI 0-2 0p - 5p

Any forum user is welcomed to join us in playing the tournament decks and sending their scores. Game reports are appreciated but not needed. If all players finish their games before the 23th, we can begin the semifinal sooner.

Old deckbuilding post | Open
We have four players joining this months minitournament.
jatill
juzamjedi
Stroggoii
Shantak

The format is current Standard, meaning Magic 2011, Magic 2012, Zendikar block and Scars of Mirrodin block. Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic are banned.

Each player builds two (2) decks, one for bracket Alpha and one for bracket Beta. The decks will duel according to the following diagram. The only restriction is that your deck A can't share a color with your deck B. So if Deck A is Red/White, the other deck cannot use those colors, but can be Blue, Green, Black or any combination of those colors. Colorless cards are available for both decks.

P1DeckA                                              P4DeckB
P2DeckA            |                    |            P1DeckB
                   FinalistA -- FinalistB             
P3DeckA            |                    |            P3DeckB
P4DeckA                                              P2DeckB
If you want to designate one deck for bracket Alpha and another for bracket Beta, you can do so. Otherwise I will randomly determine it (along with player positions). The deadline for PMing me the decks is Tuesday 13th September.

If you have any questions, fire away. Note that I'm most likely not online during this weekend.

Old gauging interest post | Open
I figured I would have the time to run a tournament in September, so let's see if there's enough interest. I think we'll need 6 players minimum, so let me know here if you're interested and start brewing.

For this month's format I'm choosing Standard. I believe this is the best possible time to do a Standard tournament, since we have two core sets and two full expansion blocks available, and almost all useful cards have been coded to Manalink, with only some tournament staples missing.

For Standard format deck construction rules, see here. If you are unsure which set some card belongs to, you can check it from Gatherer. Please note that Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic are now banned, so I think we'll have plenty of different decks instead of all Caw-Blade.
Attachments
standard_decks.zip
Juzamjedi's decks missing.
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Last edited by Shantak on 24 Sep 2011, 10:40, edited 4 times in total.
Shantak

Re: September tournament - gauging interest

Postby jatill » 01 Sep 2011, 13:05

I'm always game.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby juzamjedi » 01 Sep 2011, 22:05

I would probably play too.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Stroggoii » 03 Sep 2011, 04:49

I'm in :)
Stroggoii

Postby Shantak » 08 Sep 2011, 08:02

So we have four contestants, including myself. Not enough for a proper tournament, and I doubt waiting would gain us many more. Would you three be interested in a...

1) Mini tournament with just us four. To add some excitement, we could include sideboards. First every deck goes against against every other deck for a round of best of 3 games. Then we each create three new decks by modifying the original using the sideboard, and play each against another sideboard-modified deck for another round of best of 3. The winner is determined by points and there's no final.

Requires building 1 deck with sideboard and playing a total of 24 best of 3 matches.

2) Each of us creates two decks and we play a tournament bracket with random opponents (with decks divided into two divisions so that the only place where the same player's two decks could possibly duel would be the final. Best of 3, but final would be best of 5.

Requires building two decks and playing a total of 12 best of 3 matches and one best of 5 final.

3) Since we have so few players, let's just have the kind of deck construction contest, where each of us (and anyone who would want to join later) submits three decks at most (still under Standard deck construction rules). Then we play with them at our leisure, and in the end just do a vote where each of us can vote for our favorite deck.

Requires building one, two or three decks and playing arbitary number of matches.

I think all options are interesting and would go for any of them.
Shantak

Postby Stroggoii » 08 Sep 2011, 08:33

I'd go for no.2
Stroggoii

Postby juzamjedi » 08 Sep 2011, 22:31

Number 2 is fine to me as well. What format(s) should each deck be?
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Shantak » 09 Sep 2011, 12:22

Okay, let's do the two decks, two brackets tournament.

P1DeckA                                              P4DeckB
P2DeckA            |                    |            P1DeckB
                   FinalistA -- FinalistB             
P3DeckA            |                    |            P3DeckB
P4DeckA                                              P2DeckB
I don't think any of you would try something like creating identical or very similar decks A and B, but let's enforce this with a rule: Your deck A can't share a color with your deck B. This actually means that if you would do a 5-color deck A, your deck B would have to be colorless :lol: Other than that, it's current Standard deck construction rules.

I'll be away during the weekend, but let's try a deadline of Tuesday 13th for the decks. If someone needs more time, it shouldn't be a problem. Happy brewing.
Shantak

Postby Shantak » 09 Sep 2011, 13:05

Updated first post of the thread.
Shantak

Re: September tournament - deckbuilding started, deadline 13

Postby Shantak » 14 Sep 2011, 05:27

I have decks from Stroggoii and jatill, but am still missing juzamjedi's. Once I get his decks, I'll try to set up the first rounds as quickly as I can (I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so if it might not happen today).
Shantak

Re: September tournament - round 1 started, deadline Friday

Postby Shantak » 15 Sep 2011, 19:51

No decks from juzamjedi yet, but here's the bracket and the decks. I wasn't completely random there, as I placed juzamjedi's decks against jatill and Stroggoii's decks in case we don't get decks from juzamjedi and you'll just get byes (or, if you'd like something to play, I could whip up a quick unused Standard archetype deck for you both to face).

Juzamjedi, if you are still able to join us with your decks, you're welcome. I trust you won't peek at the other decks to see what you would be facing ;)

jatill_1                                              Shantak_2
juzamjedi_1            |                    |            jatill_2
                       FinalistA -- FinalistB             
  Shantak_1            |                    |            Stroggoii_2
Stroggoii_1                                              juzamjedi_2
For the first round, I think a week would be enough - especially if we get no more decks. So the deadline for the first round shall be Friday 23th. Each match played will be best of three.

The scoring is following (stolen from previous tournament):
Player-AI 2-0 2p - 0p
Player-AI 2-1 2p - 1,5p
Player-AI 1-2 1p - 3p
Player-AI 0-2 0p - 5p

Any forum user is welcomed to join us in playing the tournament decks and sending their scores. Game reports are appreciated but not needed. If all players finish their games before the 23th, we can begin the semifinal sooner.
Attachments
standard_decks.zip
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
Shantak

Re: September tournament - round 1 started, deadline 23th.

Postby Stroggoii » 15 Sep 2011, 22:32

Stroggoii 1 vs Shantak 1 3-0 WIN
Shantak got infected 3-0
Shantak 1 vs Stroggoii 1 3-1 WIN
The loss was on my army being boomed by Ratchet Bomb and not being able to race the poison counters with damage since AI kept removing my creatures.

Shantak 2 vs Jatill 2 3-2 WIN
Loss one was caused by mana screw not allowing me to counter or remove Hero of the Bladehold. Loss 2 was on mana flood without creatures to block incoming damage.
Jatill 2 vs Shantak 2 3-0
Birds with swords, Gideon with swords, and an unprecedented mill victory out of SoBaM.
Stroggoii

Postby Shantak » 18 Sep 2011, 19:07

Shantak_1 vs Stroggoii_1 (AI) - 2-0
1-0: Getting AI to block my Inkmoth with his while I had Steel Overseer ready slowed his game, but Black Sun's Zenith wiped out all my other creatures some turns afterwards. AI was building up his army with Skithiryx and Phyrexian Obliterator, but then I drew Tempered Steel while AI was at 8 poison counters and he didn't have flying blockers available.

2-0: Completed my Quest on my second turn with Ornithopter and two Glint Hawks. Argentum Armor-ed Glint Hawk then destroyed AI.

Stroggoii_1 vs Shantak_1 (AI) - 2-0
1-0: Ratchet Bomb for 1 destroyed most of AI's creatures. My Phyrexian Obliterator got Dispatched, but infecters were enough to win.

2-0: I'm in some trouble after AI gets Tempered Steel quickly and I don't have enough blockers. I stabilize at 6 life and win thanks to Skithiryx.

Jatill_2 vs Shantak_2 (AI) - 2-0
1-0: I start very strong, though AI can slow me down a bit with Black Sun's Zenith. It's not enough to stop me though.

2-0: Similar start as last game, though it's now Consume the Meek that slows me down.
Again, it's not enough though AI plays better than last time. My hawks finish him, all Caw, no Blade

Shantak_2 vs Jatill_2 (AI) - 2-1

1-0: AI gets me to 6 life until I have enough cards and mana to deal with anything he puts out and kill him with Solemn Simulacrum and Creeping Tar Pit.

1-1: All goes well until AI gets Sword of Feat and Famine. His sword-wielding Golem keeps killing my Jaces while I hope for a board sweeper. Then he gets another Sword and I think I'm done. Then I luckily draw Black Sun's Zenith and think I might have a chance with Creeping Tar Pit. No luck, as after the Zenith, AI casts Emeria Angel, equips the Swords and kills me.

2-1: I counter AI's Sword, get my Grave Titan countered but manage to get Karn Liberated into play. He deals with anything AI has and my Creeping Tar Pits finish AI.
Shantak

Postby jatill » 20 Sep 2011, 12:13

are we still missing a deck?
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Shantak » 20 Sep 2011, 12:21

Juzamjedi never sent his decks, and it looks like he hasn't visited the forums for a week. This would give jatill_1 and Stroggoii_2 decks byes, and they would go straight to the semifinal.

This is a pretty sorry excuse for a tournament with initially only four players and now only three :roll:
Shantak

Next

Return to Tournaments