It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:38

Text Size

Performance and speed

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Performance and speed

Postby spacecase » 18 Apr 2013, 10:44

Hi

First off I'd like to say that I think it is fantastic that you developers use your spare time to create such great free magic software for us addicts. I like the look of the program and think it has great potential. Actually like the interface better than the new MTGO beta wide.

However I am having some problems with the speed performance of the application. I consider myself a fairly patient man, but each time I hit space it takes 2-6 seconds for the app to go from one phase to another. Driving me nuts :P
Is this a known issue or is it something at my end? Is there something I can do to make it run faster/smoother.

My computer is not state of the art but not too shabby:
Intel i7 q740 or qm740 maybe, 1,73 ghz
16gb ram
Windows 8, Java JRE7
ATI mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
spacecase

Re: Performance and speed

Postby LevelX » 18 Apr 2013, 12:00

spacecase wrote:Hi

First off I'd like to say that I think it is fantastic that you developers use your spare time to create such great free magic software for us addicts. I like the look of the program and think it has great potential. Actually like the interface better than the new MTGO beta wide.

However I am having some problems with the speed performance of the application. I consider myself a fairly patient man, but each time I hit space it takes 2-6 seconds for the app to go from one phase to another. Driving me nuts :P
Is this a known issue or is it something at my end? Is there something I can do to make it run faster/smoother.

My computer is not state of the art but not too shabby:
Intel i7 q740 or qm740 maybe, 1,73 ghz
16gb ram
Windows 8, Java JRE7
ATI mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
You talk about games vs. the AI or Human vs. Human?
Is it when you connect to your local server or with public server (or both?).

Human vs. Human you shouldn't have such times and also vs. AI only if the AI is "thinking" and dependable from the chosen AI level.

You can check the startClient.bat in the Mage client folder (here's the standard code).
Some user told changing jre6 to jre7 in the bat file fixed their problems.
If this doesn't help you can try to increase ram sizes a bit.

Code: Select all
@ECHO OFF
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6" GOTO NOJAVADIR
set JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6"
set CLASSPATH=%JAVA_HOME%/bin;%CLASSPATH%
set PATH=%JAVA_HOME%/bin;%PATH%
:NOJAVADIR
start javaw -jar .\lib\mage-client-${project.version}.jar -Xms256M -Xmx1024M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
After that I would try using latest 1.6_X JRE instead of 1.7. Sometimes it matters.
Or if you didn't use the newest 1.7 JRE test with the actual version.

(And if you didn't use already check out F4 and F9 to go faster foward if possible :-))
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby spacecase » 18 Apr 2013, 12:15

Thanks. I will try to change some of the things you mention.

This is when I have played VS AI.
Same problems when i ran server on same computer as client, and when I tried to run server on another box on my LAN.

When i press F9 it's better for my patience, but it was kind of laggy so i heard sounds, but didn't see when AI played a land or card animation, and suddenly AI creatures were tapped and attacking, waiting for my blocks.

I haven't played against humans in Mage yet.
I tried connecting to 109.200.159.89 now but got unable to connect.
176.31.186.181 looked empty as far as i could tell.
spacecase

Postby LevelX » 18 Apr 2013, 12:46

Of course it didn't sound like your system is responding/acting at the speed it should.
So I hope the things I suggested will help you.

The public server is more crowded in the europe evening hours. But don't expect too many players. Because of the unreliability of the public server the last weeks it was a bit nerving. I hope with a second server there is more consistency in the possibility to play and the amount of available players will grow up.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Return to XMage