It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:34

Text Size

Regarding the Limited format

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Regarding the Limited format

Postby Slimmo » 09 Aug 2013, 01:10

I have asked about this format earlier but at that time I did not now for sure what Limited really was. But after some pondering I have some questions/suggestions about it.

1. As Limited is normally only used during sealed or booster drafts it should not be able to be choosen for a constructed match. Instead add a custom format that does not have any banned cards so that those that want to play with any kind of card can do that but still have the basic constructed rules like a minimum of 60 cards and no more than 4 of each card thats not a basic land.

2. The feature to generate a deck is kinda cool and I have seen on github that you finally decided to make it so it can create a 60-card deck.
BUT what in the world is the point of creating 40-card decks??
60 cards are a minimum for ALL formats except for Limited and thats only used for sealed and drafts. When playing sealed and draft games u build your deck from whatever cards you get from the boosters so the generation of 40-card decks are completly USELESS. So unless I have missed something I dont get at all why this was even concidered.

I just need to know these cause its been bugging me quite a bit :)
Slimmo

Re: Regarding the Limited format

Postby LevelX » 09 Aug 2013, 07:48

1. As Limited is normally only used during sealed or booster drafts it should not be able to be choosen for a constructed match. Instead add a custom format that does not have any banned cards so that those that want to play with any kind of card can do that but still have the basic constructed rules like a minimum of 60 cards and no more than 4 of each card thats not a basic land.
This limited format can be used (surprise) for limited decks. And this makes sense.
I use it sometimes to play again with sealed or drafted decks from a limited tournament. As you know, you can save the deck during the tournament and later load it again. Or if you play a sealed or draft with a friend and decide to play some more games with the deck from the sealed or draft tournament, you can do this using the limited format.
If someone wants to play without any restrictions he can use the limited format (as many do now, maybe because they don't know for what the different formats are for). So I don't see the point to add a new mode restricted to 60 cards without other restrictions.

2. The feature to generate a deck is kinda cool and I have seen on github that you finally decided to make it so it can create a 60-card deck.
BUT what in the world is the point of creating 40-card decks??
60 cards are a minimum for ALL formats except for Limited and thats only used for sealed and drafts. When playing sealed and draft games u build your deck from whatever cards you get from the boosters so the generation of 40-card decks are completly USELESS. So unless I have missed something I dont get at all why this was even concidered.
As shown in the answer to your point 1, it's (imho) useful to have the limited format. So that you can also run your limited deck against a 40 cards deck generated for the AI you should be able to generate decks with 40 cards. So I see no need to remove this feature. I want to keep it. Maybe you missed this reasons because you don't play limited that much. :-)

Regards
LevelX2
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Re: Regarding the Limited format

Postby Slimmo » 09 Aug 2013, 12:19

Alright I guess I see now why atleast. I just didnt find any resonable usage for it, oh well now I know :)
Slimmo

Return to XMage