It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:50

Text Size

Server Questions

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Server Questions

Postby JeffHoogland » 12 Aug 2014, 03:59

Hey There,

I was wondering, are the stability issues with the public server caused by the server not having enough resources or by the software not being able to handle a pile of connections all at once?

I attempted to stream with XMage tonight (instead of MTGO) and while things were working for a few games it was great, but constant disconnects broke up the fun soon there after :(

Partially related - is there a tutorial somewhere on setting up my own server?

~Jeff
JeffHoogland

Re: Server Questions

Postby Mainiack11 » 12 Aug 2014, 05:03

Is the server currently down for anyone else? I've been unable to connect since I downloaded the latest version.
Mainiack11

Postby noxx » 12 Aug 2014, 05:31

Yes, the main server is down now. Need time to figure out what had happened.
noxx
DEVELOPER

Postby LevelX » 12 Aug 2014, 09:58

Server down this morning
I could identify the bug that took down the server this morning from the server logs. I could create a fix (or at least a workaround) https://github.com/magefree/mage/commit/9020a287d6bf51721b9ae3387ea1c04f36df477c.
I updated the server and restarted it with the new code (about 08:30 server time). I hope this will work for this problem.

Disconnects
Concerning the disconnects I can't say for sure what's the reason.
Probably it can be related to available net resources of the public server, because it's the first time that constantly 30-60 people are online at the same time.
I can only say that cpu workload is between 2 and 8% all the time.
How can I check net/connection resources workload using Ubuntu?

Sure is that disconnects were also a problem in the past, I guess mostly caused by bad connections of users to the internet or the route to the public server.
I myself had very rarely disconnects in the past. In the last days it happens more often to myself so maybe that points to workload of connections as a problem.

The other problem is that the reconnect after a disconnect to existing games and tournaments does not work correctly. https://github.com/magefree/mage/issues/502. I created a issue for that and any help is welcome to isolate and fix that problem.

Setting up a server
You mean something like a public server?

1) It won't work behind a NAT (thanks to JBOSS-Remote that XMage uses I guess).

2) Installation steps.
a) install JRE 1.7 or newer to the server
b) copy the XMage server part to your server
c) setup ../mage-server/config/config.xml
- serverAddress="[YOU IP]"
- serverName="mage-server"
- port="17171"
- [some more settings]
- remove formats you don't won't to support on your server
d) Start the server (as the start-server script suggests).
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby JeffHoogland » 12 Aug 2014, 10:21

Thanks for the server guide - I also posted a suggestion in that phab ticket.

Re: Watching network usage on Ubuntu, if you are working without a GUI, the tool bmon is decent at showing real time network usage. Just do:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install bmon
And then run it.

If you server is having resource issues, I can look into getting something setup on one of my VPSes that has spare cycles.
JeffHoogland

Postby LevelX » 12 Aug 2014, 10:52

JeffHoogland wrote:Thanks for the server guide - I also posted a suggestion in that phab ticket.

Re: Watching network usage on Ubuntu, if you are working without a GUI, the tool bmon is decent at showing real time network usage. Just do:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install bmon
And then run it.

If you server is having resource issues, I can look into getting something setup on one of my VPSes that has spare cycles.
I use only console access on the server. But I will check if I can get some info about network workload.

Setting up alternate servers makes a lot of sense for me. Because players can switch servers if one is down and it's possible to distribute workload at all.
I restart the public server once a day, because (as you know) it's still not as stable as I like it to be. Once all big bugs are removed that can be changed.

The alternate server(s) addresses can easily be added to the list of available severs that is shown as you connect to a XMage server.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Return to XMage