It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:08

Text Size

Connecting to a local XMage server

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Connecting to a local XMage server

Postby XMachina » 16 Aug 2014, 20:13

I cannot figure out how to do this. I want to play XMage against someone else that is on my local network, but when I try to connect to the server with the other computer, it fails to connect to the server. Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Changing the server IP address in the cfg file to match my local IP address (192.168.x.x) didn't help any. Connecting to the server from the same computer that is hosting it works fine using that same address.

Scouring the forums for a solution has yielded nothing for me. Perhaps it has been posted somewhere, but I can't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
XMachina

Re: Connecting to a local XMage server

Postby LevelX » 17 Aug 2014, 00:40

XMachina wrote:I cannot figure out how to do this. I want to play XMage against someone else that is on my local network, but when I try to connect to the server with the other computer, it fails to connect to the server. Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Changing the server IP address in the cfg file to match my local IP address (192.168.x.x) didn't help any. Connecting to the server from the same computer that is hosting it works fine using that same address.

Scouring the forums for a solution has yielded nothing for me. Perhaps it has been posted somewhere, but I can't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes this works, that's the server for. I've used it in local network very often.
Probably a firewall problem of the system that hosts the xmage server.
I would first do a short check if it works if you deactivate the firewall of the system. If it does you have to configure the firewall to let the XMage server connections through.
You can also try to run the server on the other systems, sometimes that works because firewall configurations are different.
This network/firewall problems can sometimes be very tricky unfortunately.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby XMachina » 17 Aug 2014, 17:14

Thanks for the reply, LevelX! I tried opening up some ports on my modem, but not messing with the firewall otherwise. I'll give it a shot and post my results. Thanks, again!
XMachina

Postby XMachina » 17 Aug 2014, 19:20

Okay, so after opening up a port on my computer's firewall, I was able to connect to the server from another computer on the network. I didn't realize there was some kind of distinction between the firewall on the modem/router and the one my computer.

Thanks, again!
XMachina

Return to XMage