It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:16

Text Size

How to set up a (public) XMage server

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Re: How to set up a (public) XMage server

Postby BabaRey » 02 Feb 2020, 05:12

JayDi wrote:Try run simple command without startup file:
Code: Select all
java -Xms256M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Djava.security.policy=./config/security.policy -Dlog4j.configuration=file:./config/log4j.properties -jar ./lib/mage-server-1.4.42.jar
Now it works, thank you very much

What are those warnings?
Attachments
1234.PNG
BabaRey

Postby JayDi » 02 Feb 2020, 09:26

You must use java/openjdk 8, not 11 (xmage support only 8 version -- both server and clients must use same versions). You can make openjdk 1.8 as default java or run it from 1.8's bin folder as command line (replce java word as jdk1.8_bin/java path).
JayDi

Postby crisishell » 30 Mar 2020, 16:51

Hi, i've set up a linux server with xmage server on it with a domain name, but i still can access it via xmage client.

help plz.
crisishell

Postby ShadowKindjal » 09 Apr 2020, 19:44

Can somehow help me out? I can't seem to find the server directory files that I am supposed to download nor the FTP site gram them from. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I downloaded the Mage.Server directory from GitHub but it seems to be missing a bunch of files required to start the server.
ShadowKindjal

How to set up a XMage server on Linux Ubunuto 18.4 terminal

Postby Thyphu5 » 27 Apr 2020, 06:35

Hey everyone,

after finaly getting the Xmage-Server part up and running on a Linux-Server (who is messing with the encoding of the files?! serious...)
and having the listening on port 17171 ready without any errors, even seeing the listening in netstat on port 17171 and 17172 it seems everything on server side is working correct.

BUT

when trying to connect from a Windows Client, i cant connect. here the Client Log, due to not beeing firm with java, is totaly no help to me. Everything i found so far helped me to get the Server running without errors so i guess it is not something in my /etc/hosts, the xmage/config/config.xml or my ufw (yes ports are allowed, even all ports between Server-Client were open for testing purposes)....

what can it be, that the Client ist getting no connection?

mageclient.log
last Logfile from windows client
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Thyphu5

Postby johnnysmithy667 » 16 Jan 2021, 19:32

Totally unrelated to the issues above, but I think this could be of help for some of you:

I really struggled setting up a public server. I thought it wouldn't be that hard, just put the files on a linux box, edit the config and start that thing up, hu?
Thing is, the server software was unable to obtain the configured port on my system, so it was impossible to connect to the server. This showed in the server log, where was explicitly written, that the port could not be taken (I can't reproduce the error atm for the correct message, sorry for this). Nothing I tried helped so far.

The solution for me was, to use a rDNS address, so instead of, for example using 123.231.12.3 for serverAddress in the config.xml I used hostnameofmachine.domainofvendor.tld. That made it suddenly work. Instead, you may also use for example the service nip.io to get this hostname-address (don't know how to call this).

I hope this helps some of you setting up servers for your friends/regular playgroups, so we can take off load from the few default servers preconfigured in xmage ;)
johnnysmithy667

Postby johnnysmithy667 » 16 Jan 2021, 19:37

ShadowKindjal wrote:Can somehow help me out? I can't seem to find the server directory files that I am supposed to download nor the FTP site gram them from. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I downloaded the Mage.Server directory from GitHub but it seems to be missing a bunch of files required to start the server.
Easiest way: start launcher, and click "start server". This will create the directory xmage/mage-server next to the XMageLauncher-0.3.8.jar. You can edit the config.xml in this directory and move the whole thing to a remote box, or use it locally, even without launcher (startServer.sh etc....)
johnnysmithy667

Re: How to set up a XMage server on Linux Ubunuto 18.4 termi

Postby johnnysmithy667 » 16 Jan 2021, 19:39

Thyphu5 wrote:Hey everyone,

after finaly getting the Xmage-Server part up and running on a Linux-Server (who is messing with the encoding of the files?! serious...)
and having the listening on port 17171 ready without any errors, even seeing the listening in netstat on port 17171 and 17172 it seems everything on server side is working correct.

BUT

when trying to connect from a Windows Client, i cant connect. here the Client Log, due to not beeing firm with java, is totaly no help to me. Everything i found so far helped me to get the Server running without errors so i guess it is not something in my /etc/hosts, the xmage/config/config.xml or my ufw (yes ports are allowed, even all ports between Server-Client were open for testing purposes)....

what can it be, that the Client ist getting no connection?

mageclient.log
A server log may be helpful, perhaps you can see there how far the connection went and if or why it has been rejected?
johnnysmithy667

Postby spjspj » 05 Apr 2021, 14:05

I have been installing and setting up a new public server behind my router as a test.
Server is running on an 18.0.4 ubuntu laptop and I've been testing with my PC
Xmage Server version is 1.4.48-V2

Things I have done:
1) Downloaded and unzip the latest install zip file
2) Modified the mage-server/config/config.xml file to have: <server serverAddress="myxmage.ddns.net" (instead of <server serverAddress="0.0.0.0")
3) Setup a ddns entry to have myxmage.ddns.net pointing to MY_EXTERNAL_IP
4) Added 0.0.0.0<tab>myxmage.ddns.net to /etc/hosts
      4b) Also tried in /etc/hosts the following: (note, none of these worked - re-ran mage-server/startServer.sh after each modification):
      LAPTOP_INTERNAL_IP<tab>myxmage.ddns.net
      0.0.0.0<tab>MY_EXTERNAL_IP
      LAPTOP_INTERNAL_IP<tab>MY_EXTERNAL_IP
5) Setup a mobile hotspot on my phone and connected PC's wifi connection through this so it would be connecting from outside of any internal network shenanigans
6) Port forwarded 17171 and 17172 through my router (192.168.1.1 in my case)
7) Checked the DNS setup with http://myxmage.ddns.net/17171 and http://myxmage.ddns.net/17172 from my PC with dummy perl web servers running on my laptop bound to those two ports (this worked fine)
eight) Ran wireshark to see what was happening from the PC's end. (could see the jboss... stuff so knew the client and server were communicating)
9) Modified the startServer.sh script to use a java 8 version.
10) Debugged the client on the PC side.
It would get to the following lines of code:

mage\Mage.Common\src\main\java\mage\remote\SessionImpl.java
                callbackClient.addListener(callbackHandler, callbackMetadata); <<callbackMetadata only had one entry on this line
                        // Would die in between here
                Set callbackConnectors = callbackClient.getCallbackConnectors(callbackHandler);<<callbackMetadata had four entries on this line for connecting to say xmage.de
I was kind of running out of things to try and/or setup at this stage so started writing this.
I went back to the config.xml and realised the secondaryBindPort was still set to '-1'
I changed this as per the following:
    <server serverAddress="myxmage.ddns.net"
            serverName="bobbobberson"
            port="17171"
            secondaryBindPort="17172"
And success after a restart of the server!
Able to connect on to it from my PC's client (with the PC coming in from a completely external IP as it was connected to my phone's mobile hotspot).

It was painful but hopefully this is helpful to someone setting up another public server behind a NAT firewall/router.
spjspj

Postby victormoses » 24 Jun 2021, 10:19

Super, I would really like to play minecraft on some server with my friends right now.
victormoses

Postby davidsony » 13 Jul 2021, 12:38

The information is fascinating and valuable, thank you. From being a child, I wanted servers to make them much Hard-Core. I searched a lot for this type of server when I was 15 years old, but helpful nothing didn't find. Now, I have some months since I've been playing Minecraft again, and I found a website that offers the best HCF servers. On this site is an impressive list of a lot of serves you can play on. The information is fascinating and valuable, thank you. I tried to play on them, and I recommend you. I hope you will like my recommendation and will use them.

Previous

Return to XMage