It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:30

Text Size

Historical Standard tournament

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Historical Standard tournament

Postby PalladiaMors » 18 Aug 2015, 04:03

Hello everyone, some people here may be aware that a new format called Historical Standard has been recently implemented in Xmage. In this format, you can play any deck that was legal for Standard (Type 2) at any point in MtG history. The ban list consists in the banned cards from each past standard. You can find more detailed information in this link.

I'd like to do a first tournament to start getting a grasp on what the format's metagame is going to look like. If you'd be interested in participating in this tourney, please comment something in this topic so I can figure out if there's enough people interested to make this viable.

In principle, I'm thinking about opening the tournament room on Saturday (08/22), at 20:00 UTC (GMT). You can see the current UTC time in this link. If this time or day isn't adequate for you, please comment here on what would be a better option. I'll try to figure out what's the best option to accommodate everyone as much as possible.
PalladiaMors

Re: Historical Standard tournament

Postby PalladiaMors » 22 Aug 2015, 15:13

Just in case anybody cares about it, the idea is cancelled due to very clear lack of interest from the community. Perhaps it will be possible to do this in the future, but right now it's not looking very viable.

Don't let this turn you away from the format, though! I've managed to do a good amount of playtesting in the last weeks. There's a good amount of people playing it regularly, it's just that getting enough people together at the same time to do a tournament isn't that simple. In case people are unsure about what decks to play in this format, I'm thinking about updating this topic later with some suggestions. You can find a lot of strong decks playable in Historical Standard among the sample decks for Xmage, inside the "Top8 PT and Worlds" folder.
Last edited by PalladiaMors on 23 Aug 2015, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
PalladiaMors

Postby Laqutis » 23 Aug 2015, 15:28

Tournament fields in all categories will be more attractive and full I assume when x mage is complete and bug free.

Secondly since it is information your interested in check out "the gauntlet of greatness". In the first season Randy even let the ban's play ie Memory Jar , Tolarian Academy etc
Laqutis

Postby PalladiaMors » 23 Aug 2015, 20:13

I've had a look at the gauntlet of greatness, it's really interesting. Here's a link in case someone is interested.

My objective with this format is obviously to have fun, I think it's very promising concerning deck diversity and I really like the fact that there's no established metagame. I think everyone will agree that in order to be fun, it must be reasonably balanced. As awesome as the gauntlet of greatness is, it's also a single tournament, so in my view it would be important to have a larger sample of tournament results in order to see how things are going regarding balance. In case we figure out that there are some problems, the community could discuss the matter and figure out what to do.
PalladiaMors

Return to XMage