It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:33

Text Size

xMage new user questions

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

xMage new user questions

Postby Islandswamp » 26 Sep 2016, 23:28

I decided to try xMage because Cockatrice doesn't have rules enforcement. So far I love the way things look for the most part, but I haven't been able to play much (at all really).

I tried to start a solo game (like MTGO has) so I could learn all the buttons and commands, but I saw no way to do such a thing. Is there a way to open the duel scene so that I can learn the commands and change the settings?

How do I adjust the windows and settings in the duel scene? I saw a preferences menu, but you don't get to see the duel screen when you change those settings so I don't know what settings to adjust. The reason I ask is that I tried to play one game and I couldn't see my hand, or I saw only five of the seven cards at least. I would like to be able to see my entire hand, and I didn't know how to scroll left and right to even view the extra cards. I didn't feel like wasting my opponent's time playing slowly, so I just apologized and excused myself.

Any advice on this topic would be great. Thanks. Like I said, the program looks amazing for what it is and I was very impressed.
Islandswamp

Re: xMage new user questions

Postby Doctor Weird » 26 Sep 2016, 23:45

To play against the AI you will need to start a localhost server. On the XMage Launcher there's a button to start both client and server, use that and give it about a minute after the client opens to let the server properly start (assuming you have the server console option switched off, otherwise you can see it running its starting process there and know when it's done). Then, on the Connect window, open the drop-down menu and select "localhost" for the server to connect to. And now you're in your own empty server, where you can create a new table and select a computer opponent instead of a human one.

As for seeing your cards in hand, you can go to preferences and change the different GUI sizes while in game and once you click "Apply" all changes will take effect immediately, so you can tune things to your taste while playing. If you can't see the horizontal scroll bar under your cards in hand then you will need to reduce their size until you do.
Doctor Weird

Return to XMage