It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 08:07

Text Size

Stop image downloads from magiccards.info

by BetaSteward

Moderators: noxx, Aurum, fireshoes, jeffwadsworth, TheElk801, BetaSteward, LevelX, North, escplan9, CCGHQ Admins

Stop image downloads from magiccards.info

Postby orban » 12 Jul 2017, 02:48

https://github.com/magefree/mage/blob/m ... ource.java

Please remove this code.

It's causing unnecessary load on my server which makes everybody's experience terrible, especially for users who actually use the site and not just download images.

I'm not a download server.

I already tried to ban this but you found some "clever" workaround (https://github.com/magefree/mage/commit ... b3d4e1ac9e), but I will just keep up with it now that I know how.

You can't win this. I will just install auto-throttling + auto-banning by IP address if you don't stop, which is very easy.
orban

Re: Stop image downloads from magiccards.info

Postby orban » 13 Jul 2017, 03:28

By the way, the solution is to use torrent, which is even promoted on this very page.

So you have no fucking excuse for this.
orban

Postby jeffwadsworth » 13 Jul 2017, 13:08

I take it that your attitude/opinion has changed since this post?

viewtopic.php?p=137320#p137320

That is unfortunate. I will see what can be done about this issue.
jeffwadsworth
Super Tester

Re: Stop image downloads from [url redacted]

Postby elvendoom » 13 Jul 2017, 19:06

orban wrote:By the way, the solution is to use torrent, which is even promoted on this very page.

So you have no fucking excuse for this.
As someone restricted to college internet on a p2p-blocked connection, I apologize for using your bandwidth to acquire cards... and would point out that, given the target audience for an application that 1 allows you to play Magic the Gathering on the internet and 2 is free will encompass many college students who often will also not have P2P capabilities, uploading the torrent to mega or any similar non-torrent host would probably result in a lot of your traffic going away. I really don't want to wait for XMage to slowly download the images itself from websites like yours, but those of us in situations like mine are left with little choice. Give us one, please.
elvendoom

Postby orban » 16 Jul 2017, 18:42

> I take it that your attitude/opinion has changed since this post?

Yeah, because this app is clearly not following best practices and opens too many connections. Which is why I blocked it. Then you started to work around the block, and that's not nice.

> I really don't want to wait for XMage to slowly download the images

Buy your own server or your own internet connection. Since when is it my job to pay for your images? Your attitude is exactly the problem: search.php?author_id=35342&sr=posts. Whine, whine, whine. Why don't you contribute to the solution instead?
orban

Return to XMage