It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:43

Text Size

New Magic Game App - MAGE

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

New Magic Game App - MAGE

Postby BetaSteward » 28 Mar 2010, 14:36

I have just released the first version of a free, open-source magic app that I have been working on. It's called MAGE which stands for Magic, Another Game Engine. Everything is still pretty much in a testing phase so there can be lots of bugs and missing functionality. If you are interested in trying it out you can download it from http://code.google.com/p/magic--another-game-engine

It's a client/server application meaning that someone can run a game hosting server and others can connect to the server to play games against each other or against a computer AI. The game can also be run in a stand-alone mode which simply means that the client and server are running on the same machine.

I have coded about 50 cards from Alara Reborn, Conflux, Magic 2010, Planechase, Shards of Alara Worldwake and Zendikar. The cards were chosen from a few randomly selected championship decks which are also available in the sample decks folder. I will be adding more cards and finishing up the remaining rules that aren't coded yet.

Currently MAGE only allows two-player duels against two humans or a human and a computer. Don't expect too much from the computer AI. It's still pretty dumb but I will be upgrading it in the next release. I will also be adding matches and multiplayer games in future releases.

If you notice anything or want to make suggestions or if you are interested in contributing to the project contact me at BetaSteward_at_googlemail.com

BetaSteward
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Re: New Magic Game App - MAGE

Postby MageKing17 » 28 Mar 2010, 19:07

Does it have rules enforcement? (I assume so, but you don't actually come out and say it.)
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby BetaSteward » 28 Mar 2010, 19:26

Sorry about missing that. Yes, MAGE does have rules enforcement.
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Postby m0nkiii » 01 Apr 2010, 22:12

This looks promising. Multiplayer games sounds interesting. The AI is kinda hard to fix but to play against humans in multiplayer will be fun.
m0nkiii

Postby BetaSteward » 02 Apr 2010, 12:34

Thanks. Ultimately I would like to be able to play multiplayer with a mix of human and computer players. AI is always a challenge but I have few ideas.
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Return to XMage