It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:30

Text Size

Enjoying XMage as a Totally Blind Player

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Enjoying XMage as a Totally Blind Player

Postby Elwin » 16 Jun 2020, 16:47

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to XMage and Magic in general, but have recently decided to dive in and see what I can accomplish. I am totally blind, and the default XMage client is not very accessible for me, UI-wise. However, it is open source, so I thought I'd at least look into the possibilities of creating a custom client.

I am particularly intrigued by the thousands of potential cards on offer. It strikes me that a lot of the info on each card surely must be available programatically, and the problem to overcome is just one of presentation.

Java has decent accessibility support using the default toolkits, but custom controls do not obviously benefit from that without work on the developers' part. One notion I had was some sort of command-line client, which could use a simple text-based interface of some sort to convey information on the hand and game state. Perhaps this already exists somewhere for debugging or testing purposes?

Any ideas folks might be able to provide would be gratefully received. At the moment, the client is largely opaque to me, but that's a problem which should be possible to remedy with effort and some thought.

Thanks much :)
Elwin

Re: Enjoying XMage as a Totally Blind Player

Postby Elwin » 16 Jun 2020, 20:41

Hi ALl,

Sorry for the double post :) A friend pointed me to issue 5920 on Github, which I have since commented on. I'm glad it's at least been brought to the developer's attention before . I hope that we can do something with it now that there are multiple interested players :)
Elwin

Return to XMage