It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:16

Text Size

MAGE version 0.3 released

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

MAGE version 0.3 released

Postby BetaSteward » 02 Sep 2010, 13:32

MAGE (Magic, Another Game Engine) version 0.3 is now ready. This version has added two much improved AI variants and one multiplayer variant. In addition many bugs have been fixed, more cards have been added, memory footprint has been greatly reduced and performance has improved.

MAGE now has three AI opponents to choose from:
    * the default rules based AI which is pretty much the same as before
    * a Minimax implementation that will perform an exhaustive search of all possible moves for up to 30 seconds
    * a Minimax/rules based hybrid that attempts to use the best of both approaches, again it will stop searching for moves after 30 seconds

The new AIs are still not perfect (they have surprised me with some very clever moves and some very dumb moves) but I will continue to improve them. It has taken so long for this release to become available mainly because of the AI development. It has been one of the most challenging and rewarding tasks that I have taken on.

MAGE now introduces multiplayer action with a Free For All variant. You can play with a mix of up to 8 human or AI players. There are currently no AIs that are suited for muliplayer action but they will be coming soon.

If you are interested in trying MAGE out you can download it from http://code.google.com/p/magic--another-game-engine

For the next release I am going to concentrate on adding cards, lots of cards. I will concentrate on the most current sets and try to complete them before moving on to past sets. I am also planning on adding a deck importer since MAGE doesn't have the best deck editor and there are so many other deck editors available that are much better.

I would like to thank LokiX for his help is tracking down card images and for contributing cards for the Magic2010 set. I would also like to thank those that have emailed me with your support. It really helps.

BetaSteward

Screenshots
-----------
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Re: MAGE version 0.3 released

Postby Huggybaby » 02 Sep 2010, 22:16

Very cool, it's good to see progress. Thanks for the screenies too.

Congrats on your new forum. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Return to XMage