It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:18

Text Size

Feedback / Suggestions

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Feedback / Suggestions

Postby LevelX » 21 Jun 2014, 15:30

Bog Wraith wrote:One thing I have noticed is that the random number algorithm or whatever is used to generate the random card picks in a pack is creating packs that are not sufficient in this category. For instance, I was in a 6 pack sealed deck event yesterday where I got three out of six of the same rare card. There have been other examples like this where the random generation of cards has been less than what would be with physical packs. This has happened with uncommon & common cards as well. I know that with let's say commons, you get a number of them whenever you open multiple packs, but even these numbers have been higher than one would expect to find when opening a pack.

Just wanted to point this out also in case anyone else is seeing this as well, and hopefully this is something that can be addressed in future updates to the app.
Part of the problem might be, that we create each pack randomly independent from the other packs. If you take real life boosters, they are normally from one display and the card distribution is coming from the print runs and packing of the boxes of the set.
Detailed information about box mapping is not easy to get and I guess also hard to implement.

So would it be an improvement to limit rare determination to only one per booster generation of one set for a sealed or draft tournament?
Maybe as an option to switch on/off for the tournament.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 21 Jun 2014, 22:03

If I understand what you're saying correctly, than no, I think that wouldn't be a good idea. Some of the other apps here like Forge and Magic Work Station, when you create a sealed deck, are better at randomization. They also have had issues with users pointing out their problems with random generation of packs, but they do a pretty good job overall.

I don't have the experience as a programmer to know anything about how to go about dealing with this kind of issue, so I'll have to defer to you & others who have that knowledge.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby gmzombie » 09 Aug 2014, 03:34

I just want to leave some feedback about this wonderful game. You can usually find me in the Microproses manalink 3.0 forum as i have been there since almost the beginning of the game mods back when Mok was at the helm working on it. Needless to say this game is exactly what i was looking for to play with friends online. The client is neat and reminds me of MTGO, The AI seems alright, and by and far it seems very stable. I like all of the options that are in the game, and the only suggestion i have at this point and it isnt even a big one is when i build a deck if my courser is in the list and not my deck i should be able to start to type out a card name and bring me close to it..though not anything that cant be overlooked but that is the only thing i can think of right now. I love this game and will continue to use it alongside of manalink 3.0 2 thumbs up for sure. thanks for your hard work.

https://github.com/magefree/mage/issues/494
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby gmzombie » 11 Aug 2014, 23:18

Wow man I just seen the github link! This is great you guys work fast. I want to commend you guys also on the simplicity of taking a deck and copying it to a txt file and the game finding everything and putting it in the right place. The more I use this the more I like it. AI seems really good too. :)

Also i thought of this as i was playing a round with the AI using control, and not being very control like aggression, is there a way to implement a menu system that could only be used on when your playing the computer to be able to see what he is holding onto. to get a better idea of AI suggestions much like the menu in the current Manalink 3 program. its nice when testing cards to know if the ai is going to use them right and the only way to know this is if you can see their hand or put cards into their hand.

third thing i noticed is when i use mogis the computer Always sacks a creature but will never sac for the demon?
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby noxx » 12 Aug 2014, 05:21

gmzombie wrote:Wow man I just seen the github link! This is great you guys work fast. I want to commend you guys also on the simplicity of taking a deck and copying it to a txt file and the game finding everything and putting it in the right place. The more I use this the more I like it. AI seems really good too. :)

Also i thought of this as i was playing a round with the AI using control, and not being very control like aggression, is there a way to implement a menu system that could only be used on when your playing the computer to be able to see what he is holding onto. to get a better idea of AI suggestions much like the menu in the current Manalink 3 program. its nice when testing cards to know if the ai is going to use them right and the only way to know this is if you can see their hand or put cards into their hand.

third thing i noticed is when i use mogis the computer Always sacks a creature but will never sac for the demon?
Previously you could see everything in logs but it was disabled few weeks ago. To enable it back go to Mage.Server/src/main/resources/log4j.properties and change
Code: Select all
log4j.logger.mage.player.ai=warn
to
Code: Select all
log4j.logger.mage.player.ai=info
noxx
DEVELOPER

Postby LevelX » 12 Aug 2014, 10:05

gmzombie wrote:Wow man I just seen the github link! This is great you guys work fast. I want to commend you guys also on the simplicity of taking a deck and copying it to a txt file and the game finding everything and putting it in the right place. The more I use this the more I like it. AI seems really good too. :)
No, the AI is really dumb and not in our development focus. It's only a tool to make tests - not a real AI opponent you have fun with while playing against it (at least that's my opinion).
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby troyready » 13 Aug 2014, 06:03

I haven't been able to really use the public server for the last couple of days (endless disconnects) -- that's not just me, right?

Any way we can help?
troyready

Postby JeffHoogland » 14 Aug 2014, 02:57

How difficult would it be to implement a "waiting" screen of some sort after you hit "Submit" from side boarding? Currently it is fairly confusing the first time you hit submit before your opponent because you are just kicked back to the games list like your match no longer exists.

~Jeff
JeffHoogland

Postby noxx » 14 Aug 2014, 06:25

JeffHoogland wrote:How difficult would it be to implement a "waiting" screen of some sort after you hit "Submit" from side boarding? Currently it is fairly confusing the first time you hit submit before your opponent because you are just kicked back to the games list like your match no longer exists.

~Jeff
Got it! Yes, it's not user friendly. I've looked in the code, will try to do it like in MO - in case you have submitted your deck the game starts immediately and you are waiting for other players to finish their sideboarding.
noxx
DEVELOPER

Postby XMachina » 19 Aug 2014, 00:01

I don't really have any feedback on what to improve, but I wanted to say thanks for creating this whole thing and doing an excellent job of developing it to all involved.

I live an hour away from the closest LGS (not really that local, eh?) and no one out here plays magic, so it's nice to at least be able to playtest my deck ideas before going to FNM and getting stopped because of a lack of playtesting.

Anyway, thanks again!
XMachina

Postby noxx » 20 Aug 2014, 03:55

XMachina wrote:I don't really have any feedback on what to improve, but I wanted to say thanks for creating this whole thing and doing an excellent job of developing it to all involved.

I live an hour away from the closest LGS (not really that local, eh?) and no one out here plays magic, so it's nice to at least be able to playtest my deck ideas before going to FNM and getting stopped because of a lack of playtesting.

Anyway, thanks again!
You are welcome, we are glad you enjoy XMage! :D
noxx
DEVELOPER

Postby Anacleto » 05 Sep 2014, 17:57

It would be nice if you could make it so, when opponent's hand is revealed, the box doesn't close at eot AND you could take note of what cards your opponent played by eliminating them from the box.
Anacleto

Postby Heris » 21 Sep 2014, 20:21

First a big thank you to programmers for the hard work in coding this beautiful software to play Magic; i have a suggestion that IMHO could improve gameplay:
Show the name and casting cost on the cards like in Magic Workstation, to make them more recognizable in hand and tabletop and to speed up casting of spells; this option could be switched on or off for people who prefer to play without name or casting cost on the card.
Keep up with the good work.
Heris

Postby Heris » 25 Sep 2014, 19:48

I just discovered that after downloading mana symbols the casting cost appears on the right up corner of the card, very nice. I hope that there will be a option to show also the card's name.
Heris

Postby Heris » 26 Sep 2014, 10:31

I have another suggestion; it would be nice to have the stack window movable and resizable so i could free space to show all the cards in hand as i have a monitor 4:3 with a max resolution of 1280 x 1024 and even with turning off the option to use big images i cant see the whole hand. This way i could move the stack window on the right of the screen into the space under the picture of the card.
Heris

PreviousNext

Return to XMage