It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 21:01

Text Size

Feedback / Suggestions

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Feedback / Suggestions

Postby North » 03 Jul 2012, 12:32

As developers we spend more time coding and testing the cards then actually playing. At least this goes for me. Your input on usability and your suggestions are important to us.

We are interested in feedback for MAGE. If you have some ideas on how to improve it, we would love to hear them. They will be greatly appreciated.
North
DEVELOPER

Re: Feedback / Suggestions

Postby BryanM » 03 Jul 2012, 22:03

This is just an idea I had..

What I probably hate most about the internet is the language barrier that cut our communities into pieces. When I finished a little rom editor of an old Genesis game, it occurred to me that it was possible that a Japanese version of myself (who we'll call BryanJ from here on out) could have already done it, and I'd never know. Remaking the wheel like a sap.

MagicCards has scans of foreign cards... but it is far, far from complete. Far too ad-hoc, completely useless.

But in theory it could be a low-desired, low-effort feature if the resources were ever there. The rules enforcement would in theory make it simple to play with someone who speaks a different language, something a bit difficult to do with Cockatrice.
BryanM

Postby ol120 » 04 Jul 2012, 02:54

just so you guys know, everyone who updated to java 7 needs to go into the start .bat's and edit them so that jre6 reads jre7... kinda confused me when i first started, but all fixed now! :D
ol120

Postby North » 04 Jul 2012, 08:17

BryanM wrote:But in theory it could be a low-desired, low-effort feature if the resources were ever there. The rules enforcement would in theory make it simple to play with someone who speaks a different language, something a bit difficult to do with Cockatrice.
Adding the possibility of localizations has been brought up on multiple occasions. Adding it just to displayed cards won't be a problem after I finish the new Rendering Modules. The problem is that MAGE interacts with the user (target selection and effect texts just to name a few) and all this needs to be extracted from the code and externalized somehow. This is a large effort, anyway you want to tackle this. For reference, you can look at how much is externalized in MTGO. There are card names, types, subtypes and effect texts. Add to this all the messages from the custom effects.

Although I don't have such a high interest in having it in other languages (even though I'm not a native English speaker), technically it presents interest. I would like to bring this option to MAGE. As far as I'm concerned, there are other things that are more important at the moment. And I know that the more we delay this, the more work will need to be done later. Unfortunately, there is so much free time we have and it's not nearly enough to do everything we wish for.

Please keep the feedback and suggestions coming.
North
DEVELOPER

Postby muppet » 04 Jul 2012, 08:42

Ok it seems some work is being doen on the AI.

The first question I think should be how much information should the ai have about the players deck.

Should it know the exact contents or simply the type of game e.g. standard or shd it have a list of "top decks" which it guesses the player is playing based on the land and cards played so far?
muppet
Tester

Postby noxx » 08 Jul 2012, 06:28

muppet wrote:Ok it seems some work is being doen on the AI.

The first question I think should be how much information should the ai have about the players deck.

Should it know the exact contents or simply the type of game e.g. standard or shd it have a list of "top decks" which it guesses the player is playing based on the land and cards played so far?
Not sure it can be simply implemented. You need some sort of metadata for it. Something global. And it should be constantly updated or better auto-updated. Really complicated stuff, there are lots of other AI areas to improve.

Best Regards,
Noxx
noxx
DEVELOPER

Postby muppet » 08 Jul 2012, 11:03

The three simple options are assume the deck can contain any card in the game, any card in standard, or simply use the opponents deck file. Now you have a position to be able to move the game state forward and calculate the options. It is pretty impossible to have the ai make a decision when it is totally unknown what the opponent is capable of.
muppet
Tester

Postby noxx » 09 Jul 2012, 07:59

It's arguable. First of all, metagame differs a lot depending on format. Secondly, it changes whenever new set comes out. Also, just imagine a draft where you have no idea what player plays with during the first game. I doubt that you won't play 2nd or 3rd creature in draft because of player playing white and the possibility that he picked Day of Judgment. It will make AI paranoic.

Finally, AI shouldn't win in most cases, it should be competetive and bring pleasure and that usually means that AI should be finally beated.

And to tell the truth, having no knowledge about metagame is not the problem, there are lots of other areas to improve, and projects like Magarena proved that.

Best Regards,
Noxx
noxx
DEVELOPER

Postby muppet » 09 Jul 2012, 11:11

ok thats a slightly weird aim I'll shut up about ai and keep up the card bug reports.
muppet
Tester

Postby BryanM » 09 Jul 2012, 16:34

noxx wrote:And to tell the truth, having no knowledge about metagame is not the problem, there are lots of other areas to improve
Like how it thinks an Acolyte of Xathrid is stronger than a Swamp :3

At best, the only metagameish game it should consider is "hey, he's playing a lot of white. I'll pull a Deathmark out of my sideboard.." inbetween matches. And that even feels silly to work on when it can't even evaluate the boardstate, recognize it's not going to win a race, and begin to chump block.

It's really easy to ask for the moon and the stars ("Segregate deck construction method from game type, I want Sealed Commander damnit! And two-headed giant draft! And backdraft! And leaguuues! And make it possible to adjust the timer on Limited deck construction. And single elimination tournaments. And give me a pony. Two ponies. So I can feed one of them to the other one. Ponies get hungry.") but isn't too useful, is it?

Personally, all I really want in the reasonable term:

* AI that can play the game. At least to the degree that it understands basic card value and the battlefield state; ie, not dumb enough to waste Bolts on low value creatures or your face at max life.

* A few more expert sets at 100%; New Mirrodin / Innistrad just don't appeal to me that much, though I have hope for New Ravnica. (Reminds me, is the booster generator for Dark Ascension fixed?)

* Maybe make the End Turn button work after you're done declaring your attackers.
BryanM

Postby BryanM » 16 Nov 2012, 03:29

Unplayable on standard ratio monitors.

Turned off the "use big images" option. Made it possible to scroll to the left and right to view your entire hand, but closing the zoomed card window will get you to be living like a human.

The hand is still crammed over the corner way the hell to the left in nowhereville.

Hate this compared to the sanity it used to be.
BryanM

Postby Copy » 17 Dec 2012, 19:43

Hi,

When applying 1366x768 resolution on my laptop, the zoomed card cannot be displayed fully (the lower part of it is missing). Would it be possible to enlarge the zoomed card zone vertically since the lower part of the right-most tab was not occupied anyway?
Copy

Postby filipebfs » 11 Feb 2013, 13:03

Dialog box to add the mana pool is not allowing cancel. However there is the situation regarding the ability of card "Axebane Guardian" which requires adding a set amount of mana.
filipebfs

Postby LevelX » 11 Feb 2013, 18:10

filipebfs wrote:Dialog box to add the mana pool is not allowing cancel. However there is the situation regarding the ability of card "Axebane Guardian" which requires adding a set amount of mana.
I'm not sure what's your problem. Can you describe it a bit more in detail?
Or do you mean a general better undo option?
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby filipebfs » 11 Feb 2013, 20:37

LevelX wrote:I'm not sure what's your problem. Can you describe it a bit more in detail?
Or do you mean a general better undo option?
filipebfs wrote:Dialog box to add the mana pool is not allowing cancel.
Why doesn't allows cancel?

filipebfs wrote:However there is the situation regarding the ability of card "Axebane Guardian" which requires adding a set amount of mana.
If it will allow cancel, currently dialog box to choose the color to add mana pool asks only one color at a time. In case Axebane Guardian to cancel the action can remain failure.

(sorry my english)
filipebfs

Next

Return to XMage