It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:06

Text Size

Trouble hosting a server

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Trouble hosting a server

Postby Petrarch » 09 Aug 2012, 22:23

I just recently stumbled across MAGE and I am amazed! Wow! Such hard work and dedication must have gone into this project to create something of such high quality. The only down side is that I haven't been able to play with my friends on a server.

I am running Windows 7 and have enabled port forwarding, and messed around with my server config file, but my server still does not accept clients outside the LAN. I am a techy person and have never had problems setting up a server before, however when people try to connect to me they are greeted with the message:

Unable to connect to server - Tensor

Where Tensor is the name of my computer, which seems especially odd to me because that means it must be communicating with the server in some manner.

I have similar problems when trying to connect to servers my friends have setup. I've tried tons of ip addresses in the serverAdress field in the config; both internal and external ip addresses, loopback address, leaving the field empty. etc. I've tried both the dev version .9 and release version .87.

Oddly enough, I am able to connect to slightmagic's server, this makes me wonder...

I looked through the logs and saw that the message I received is generated by an UnknownHostException, i'm not sure what this implies but I will keep looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Petrarch

Re: Trouble hosting a server

Postby Petrarch » 14 Aug 2012, 03:50

I have noticed that when I run netstat -a -n I see

MyServerIP:17171 FriendsIP:60XXX ESTABLISHED

Yet it still errors out for them. I can't help but wonder if there is either

A) Something that must be done to properly configure servers which has not been specified

B) Some problem with the server program.

Does slightlymagic use the same server that the users do? Did they modify anything besides config.xml in the server/config folder? Is slightlymagic running on linux or windows? I would really like to solve this problem.

Again, I have setup many many servers for many many games before, and never had such difficulties.

Thanks for your patience and help
Petrarch

Re: Trouble hosting a server

Postby noxx » 14 Aug 2012, 09:41

We do use the same server code for public server.
Sometime we use mage updater, sometime we download bundle from Download Center the same way other players do.

The OS is ubuntu.

The only file that is changed is mage-server/config/config.xml.
We put IP address there:
Code: Select all
<server serverAddress="109.200.159.89" serverName="mage-server" port="17171" maxGameThreads="10" maxSecondsIdle="600"/>
What you can check once you start mage server is telnet to your_ip:17171 from your friend's computer that can't connect to your server.
Example:
Code: Select all
telnet 109.200.159.89 17171
Maybe you have port closed or smth.

Get us informed, we'll try to help with the issue.

Best Regards,
Noxx
noxx
DEVELOPER

Return to XMage