It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:41

Text Size

New mac user, need help

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

New mac user, need help

Postby fischface » 16 Aug 2012, 17:35

Hello!
As said in subject I am a new user using a mac with osx 10.7. I was introduced to mage by a friend who wanted to do some drafts and casual play as we cannot meet up in person as often to play anymore. I have downloaded the 0.9.0 bundle, and un-packed it. Because mac's cannot run bat files, I went to both the server and client folders and attempted to run the command file but it gives me the error: "the file "startserver(client). command could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges." which is silly because i have read/write privileges and the command file is not locked.

any suggestions? help please

Thanks!
fischface

Re: New mac user, need help

Postby noxx » 17 Aug 2012, 10:02

Hi,

I do use mac for Mage as well so will try to help you.

Try to open both startServer.command and startClient.command and remove everything rather than java.
So startClient.command should look like:

Code: Select all
java -jar ./lib/mage-client-${project.version}.jar -Xms256M -Xmx1024M &
After that add priviliges in console:
chmod +x startClient.command
and the same for server:
chmod +x startServer.command
Checked it out, works for me.
If it works for you, then I'll update scripts in source code.

Best Regards,
Noxx
noxx
DEVELOPER

Re: New mac user, need help

Postby fischface » 17 Aug 2012, 21:44

Thanks for the reply!

So I tried to make the changes, opened the command files in text edit, changed it to the string you suggested. I tried to change the privileges in console, but it was unable to locate the file saying "no such file in directory".

The only progress i have made was through sheer experimentation. I attempted to just run the jar file the startClient was pointing towards and mage starts to run, prompts me to download card images, but after that i get an error saying "java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError" I hope this new information helps some in figuring out how to get this to work for me. Thanks again for your help.
fischface

Return to XMage