It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:11

Text Size

Trouble setting up private server

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Trouble setting up private server

Postby Cereal » 06 Mar 2013, 20:15

Hello,

I am having problems setting up a private server properly. I've forwarded Port 17171 to my PC in my router settings. If i leave the serverAddress field at "0.0.0.0" in the config.xml file, the server will start without error messages, but friends can't seem to connect to my server. They get an error along the lines of "Unable to connect to server: X" where X stands for the computername, indicating that at least there is some kind of communication. If on the other hand i set serverAddress to my external IP address as proposed in the FAQ, the server console displays an error message:
"FATAL [2013-03-06 21:04 [18:088]] Main[main]: Failed to start server - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:17171/?serializationtype=jboss
java.io.IOException: SocketServerInvoker[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:17171] error creating ServerSocket[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:17171]: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker.createServerSockets(SocketServerInvoker.java:375)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker.start(SocketServerInvoker.java:251)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.bisocket.BisocketServerInvoker.start(BisocketServerInvoker.java:193)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.Connector.start(Connector.java:376)
at org.jboss.remoting.transporter.TransporterServer.start(TransporterServer.java:198)
at mage.server.Main.main(Main.java:118)"
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx stands for my external IP.

The port is definitely not in use by anything else. Also i've tried this on Win7 64-bit with Java 7 as well as Ubuntu 32-bit with Java 6 and Java 7.

If anyone has an idea what might be going wrong here let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Cereal
Cereal

Re: Trouble setting up private server

Postby seedds » 07 Mar 2013, 00:53

I have the same problem.
I managed to get private server running by following steps:
1. Set up VPN server on my router.
2. My friends connect to my VPN server.
3. Modify config.xml on my computer, setting the serveraddress to my intranet ip like "192.168.1.?".
4. Running MAGE server on my computer.
5. My friends now can run MAGE client on their remote computer, and connect to my server by address "192.168.1.?".

Hope this could work for you.
seedds

Postby Cereal » 07 Mar 2013, 01:15

Hi,

I figured a VPN would probably work because it's giving me no trouble in LAN. But i'm afraid that's not really what i'm looking for, since i don't want to install VPN software to get it to work.

Maybe the devs have some insight into what's going wrong.

Regards,
Cereal
Cereal

Postby North » 07 Mar 2013, 06:22

The machine that you start the server on must be accessible by whoever wants to connect to it. There is no way around this. Either create a VPN or find a way to forward the requests to that machine.
North
DEVELOPER

Postby LevelX » 07 Mar 2013, 08:38

I also tried to set up the MAGE server on my pc behind my router.

I forwarded the 17171 port in the router configuration.

I have the same problem that setting the server ip to 0.0.0.0 or to the local network ip and starting the server works but when I set the external in the server configuration, the server does not start and throws the same error that Cereal has posted.

I also tried with forwarding all ports, what didn't changed anything.

I tried to connect from the client to the server with the local ip in the server configuration.
I looked at the network traffic with WireShark and as far as I can see and understand the TCP handshake between the server and client is done successful(SYN -> SYN ACK -> ACK).
But the client hangs and after some time it shows the message, that it could not connect to the server (also showing the network name of the server like Cereal mentioned).

So I guess the first thing to check should be, why isn't it possible to use the external ip in the server configuration?
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby ceitoh » 11 Mar 2013, 18:51

I am having this exact problem as well. When i enter the external IP for server address i receive the same message as cereal posted above.

Leaving it as 0.0.0.0 allows it to start just fine, but nobody can connect to it. It says failed to connect, and it knows the server name. i can also do a netstat -a -n on the server and see established connections from external IPs that tried to connect but received the failed to connect message.

I know the port is not in use by anything else, and the machine i am working on is in the DMZ (for testing purposes) so i do not believe it to be a port forwarding problem.

I have seen multiple threads on this problem, most if not all were never solved. it seems like either solving why it is not able to bind to the external IP address or why it seems to establish a connection but the client thinks that it doesn't when using a local IP would fix the problem.

I am sure that this is much easier said than done. I appreciate all work done to this great project, i would just like to be able to share with friends on a private server.

Server is running on ubuntu 12.10 32-bit. Attached are screenshots of the errors. Owncloud is the server name.
Attachments
mage-server java bind error.png
mage-server connection error.png
ceitoh

Postby LevelX » 12 Mar 2013, 11:22

I searched for solutions to use a JBOSS Server behind router/NAT.

Found this: https://community.jboss.org/wiki/UsingJBossBehindAFirewall.

A possible solution is maybe to change the MAGE startServer.bat or startServer.sh and
add the following two parameters:

-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=<external_host_name>
external_host_name = your DynDNS or the external IP

-Djava.rmi.server.useLocalHostname=true
best test with true and false, it's not clear to me what's right.

I'll also test it myself when I'm back at home
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Cereal » 14 Mar 2013, 15:49

Hello again,

LevelX's suggestion didn't seem to do anything for me (I tried all sorts of combinations of the parameters mentioned). Binding to the external address still throws the same error, leaving it at 0.0.0.0 still gets me as far as it did before (it's also still showing my local network name on the clients side).

Any more ideas?
Cereal

Postby seedds » 13 Apr 2013, 16:01

Still couldn't find a way around this except for VPN.
seedds

Postby Sereosh » 19 May 2013, 00:03

Still unable to run a private server too. Can change the IP in the config file other that 0.0.0.0 or localhost, if I change it, the server wont load.
Sereosh

Postby Cereal » 05 Jun 2014, 22:59

Hello. Sorry to bump my own thread again. I was just wondering whether in the meantime anybody had come up with a way of getting the server to run behind a router. I fiddled around with the settings mentioned, which seemed promising but ultimately got me nowhere.

Thanks,
Cereal
Cereal

Postby LevelX » 06 Jun 2014, 11:25

No new information to this issue.

XMage is using currently 2.5.4.SP4 of JBoss Remoting 2.
Maybe you find something related in the documentation.
http://jbossremoting.jboss.org/documentation/v2.html
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Return to XMage