It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 09:06

Text Size

I want to start new project to ... guess what? play magic.

Non-Application Specific Programming Stuff

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

I want to start new project to ... guess what? play magic.

Postby asturur » 14 Dec 2013, 12:13

I have been reading this forum just a couple of hours, i hope i could find information quickier.

I would like to ask you wich is current situation about magic programming.
I mean:

Current card database, often updated.
If there is a winner format about storing card information
Current rule engine or game engine, if any that can apply modern rules very good, open source or id is creator want to share the code.

i know that those are KEY point in magic programming and there are not easy at all.

I want to build something that is open source, and is web based, no client, just website where you go and play

Anyone want to share is know how?

Thanks to all.
Andrea.
asturur

Re: I want to start new project to ... guess what? play magi

Postby silly freak » 31 Dec 2013, 12:43

Hi Andrea!

What experience do you have in programming? I don't want to put you off, but knowing Magic in and out does not mean you'll be able to formulate it into a website. Having solid experience in web development is necessary to get something working. If your main focus is on tinkering, then you'll have a great time, but if your goal is to get a working product onto the web, then you really need a solid concept to not run into dead ends; I consider myself a decent programmer, and I have run into dead ends, even in my most comfortable language (Java), without the implied need for networking capabilities of a website.

As your post stands now, there won't be anybody willing to help you, simply because you didn't ask a question. I'm only responding because you took the effort to also email me personally. (Sorry for not responding sooner; I don't check my gmail account very frequently) If now you also take the effort to actually start to code, you will come to the point where you have a definitive problem, and if you post this problem here, somebody will probably be willing to discuss it.
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Re: I want to start new project to ... guess what? play magi

Postby asturur » 31 Dec 2013, 14:01

Hi Sillyfreak!
i'm a decent web programmer as well. ( i hope )
I analyzed the rules and interaction between players and i moved on a different idea.
Cause of with full rules i would never start.
I decided to give the opportunity to player to play the cards between them, with aknowledgment of what the other player is doing.
Do to that i need first to implement a "chat like" server.
So you have in you hand a lightning bolt, you play it and you deal 3 damage to a target, manually. ( you will select a target and you will do add damage , 3 something like that).
In this way you can cheat of course, but with the other player interacting he can check you, like a normal match.
website is meant just for player vs player, i'm not planning to develop an A.I.
asturur

Return to General Programming