It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:39

Text Size

I'm making a Shandalar style game, stays true to original

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

I'm making a Shandalar style game, stays true to original

Postby magetowerguy » 04 Nov 2022, 17:36

Hey all I've been a big fan of Shandalar since the 90's. I've played many digital card games since then, and nothing has been quite like it. Shandalar has those epic multi-hour runs, its heart-pumping ante system, the dungeons (which IMO are the precursor to all roguelike deckbuilders)... just everything about it and all its game systems are so well woven together.

I've seen a lot of games say they're inspired by Shandalar, but they always end up having <1 hour runs in a cramped area, or are linear and only give you a few paths to choose from. I decided I would make a game that truly captures the free-roaming essence of Shandalar. Multiple people that have played my game have called it a spiritual successor to Shandalar.

I came here because this seems like the most active Shandalar community, so I thought some people here might be interested. Sorry for the shameless plug everyone! Marketing as a solo game developer ain't easy. I figured I'd write up a post for this forum and see if anyone is interested. My game is called Mage Tower: Call of Zadeus and is on Kickstarter until Nov. 10th, 2022 (I can't post links but you can find it if you search for "Mage Tower: Call of Zadeus" on Kickstarter.) If you're reading this after the Kickstarter end date you can Wishlist or buy the game on Steam (again can't link but you can find it by searching for "Mage Tower: Call of Zadeus" on Steam.) As of 11-4-22 the Kickstarter page has the most info about the game if you want to read about it. Again sorry if this is against the rules, I couldn't find a rules post on here so I'm not sure.

A little more about the gameplay... it doesn't simplify or dumb things down for the modern audience. Huge world? Yes. Start out with a terrible deck? Yes. Lose your cards to ante? Yes. Buy food or you move slow? Yes. A pervasive threat of Boss Wizards and ever-increasingly-hard enemies? Yes.

This card game is adapted from my internationally published game "Mage Tower, A Tower Defense Card Game". The card combat is completely different from Magic: The Gathering and is inspired by tower defense games.

Anyways hope some of you will check the game out! Thanks for reading. :)
magetowerguy

Re: I'm making a Shandalar style game, stays true to origina

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Nov 2022, 17:58

This looks great. We always encourage developers to try and come up with cool stuff for players.

We can make a forum for you here, but take a look at The Retirement Home forum first. :-)
What I've seen to help projects succeed over the long term are 1) Dev has constant engagement with users 2) Dev provides some framework for users to develop their own content for the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64 ... /magetower

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1698 ... of_Zadeus/

https://discord.gg/cbZ7r3ZBcd

We wish you luck!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Return to Shandalar