It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:11

Text Size

Shandalar remake from scratch

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Shandalar remake from scratch

Postby Boost » 20 Dec 2012, 21:37

Hello everyone.
I was inspired by the work done on keeping this game alive.
I enjoyed shandalar alot when i was a kid and i think it deserves a remake.

1. ¿Do you know where i can find resources from the original shandalar game?
2. ¿Anyone knows about a similar project?
3. ¿Would you be interested in such a project?

Thank you
Boost

Re: Shandalar remake from scratch

Postby Aswan jaguar » 23 Dec 2012, 13:30

If you mean the source code Mok have asked years ago Microprose for it but they didn't give it away and if I remember correctly Gmzombie tried to get it later without any luck.I don't know who has it,Hasbro,Atari or another company as Microprose changed a lot of hands.

You are interested only on the adventure part - Shandalar?

About an attempt to remake Shandalar - if somebody have tried or published something probably we would have heard about it.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Boost » 04 Jan 2013, 12:25

Aswan jaguar wrote:You are interested only on the adventure part - Shandalar?

Initially yes, because i think the PvP area is pretty much covered with all the projects going on already. Shandalar hasn't recieved much attention.
Maybe i can use an engine already developed. ¿Do you know any open source MTG engines?

Thank you for your answer.
Boost

Postby gmzombie » 09 Jan 2013, 00:52

yea you wont be able to find source code. thats been tried and whatnot.only way to redo this is to reverse current code and try to change current code where old code is and all the while not trampling on the shandalar code in the exe. the thing of it is mok never touched shandalar since it was basically the same engine as the original just with the shandalar code embedded inside. if you went about the same way mok has described on how to fix the current manalink then you might be able to get some peeps to help. daunting task at the very least.

mok said this on one of his last days on the forum after helping us with the 2k limit.
"If at some point in future someone will be determined enough to do it the right way, drop me a mail (my old @ at op.pl is valid) as I might be tempted to help. What I mean by right way is simple: ignore the whole C code (not remove, just ignore and let the people willing to work on it continue), dump the magic.exe into ida, make a list of all available functions, slowly add names to all functions and all globals (DISCUSSING it), at some point when most of it is done start to move cards and engine functions into C, one by one, replacing old functions with hooks to the rewrites, checking for regressions. At some point most of the engine should be running from C code with possibly gui stuff left in the exe, then modify the engine to support things that were unavailable or were plainly not possible (real effect priorities, switching targets and so on) then and only then add more cards. But simple as it sounds, it's a long tedious work that also requires people with strong knowledge of both C and asm"

What programming do you know c or asm or both? not trying to be a hinder but this is the only real way to fix or update something without source code.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby elektra » 28 Jan 2023, 04:27

hello
I'm a c dev
willing to learn asm
find me: elektra at psychonautgirl dot space
however I have no idea how to reverse engineer things
if you're willing to be patient while I learn I'm willing to do boring work with you ;)
elektra

Return to Shandalar