It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 08:20

Text Size

Bug: Assertion Error. Too many cards drawn?

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Bug: Assertion Error. Too many cards drawn?

Postby Obernoob » 02 Jun 2013, 06:13

While playing against the last opponent, i got the following exception.

Code: Select all
File -> D:\Newmagic\multiplayer\sid\Minit.c, Line-> 1899
AddCard error: No more room in cd to add a card
Seek assistence in the Shandalar Forum at spamy link to your forum, so i can not type it here
Here is a screenshot of the game, I was playing. (Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs.) :( So i can not link the image of my game.

My last action was playing a Time Twister. Since I got that exception before and it was always together with drawing cards, i guess that somewhere all cards drawn so far are beeing assigned to a variable. My further guess is, that it is a static structur.
So i have two questions to the developers. First would it be possible to change it to a dynamic structur? And the second one is, why all cards drawn in a match are been saved? As far as I know there is no tool for replaying a match, or am I wrong? Or is that a preperation for a tool like that?
Obernoob

Re: Bug: Assertion Error. Too many cards drawn?

Postby CirothUngol » 07 Jun 2013, 20:49

Which version of Shandalar.exe are you using? Microprose original, Manalink 1.3.2, 2010 Custom ISO or Shandalar 2012. If it's 2012, are you using one of the pre-fabbed SaveGames?
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby raymulford » 14 Jun 2013, 11:46

I also got this error. I am using Shandalar 2012 and my own save game. Screenshot attached.
Attachments
shandalar2012.jpg
raymulford

Postby Obernoob » 15 Jun 2013, 07:58

I am also using Shandalar 2012 and my own savegame. I just played normally and did not manipulated anything. Hopefully I can post my screenshot this time. I can not, but I can attach it as file.
Attachments
Speicherüberlauf.png
Obernoob

Postby honeybunch » 15 Jul 2014, 19:52

I got this same error, but I managed to figure out a workaround. For me, at least, it happened every time I dueled a Vampire Lord. Sometimes immediately when the duel began, sometimes a good way into the duel. Given all this, I began to suspect it was related to a particular bugged card. I used the Deck Injector that is available on this forum (and which I believe came with my download of Shandalar 2012) to sneak a peek at the Vampire Lord's deck, and noticed I hadn't ever actually seen him play "Drain Life".

I found the "Vampire Lord.dck" file in the Shandalar 2012/Program/PlayDeck folder, and I renamed it to "Vampire Lord.dck.bak", so that the game wouldn't use it. Then I made a new deck with the Deck.exe program, and saved it as "Vampire Lord", effectively replacing "Vampire Lord.dck". The replacement deck I made didn't have Drain Life in it, and once I dueled the Vampire Lord again, I was able to play through without any crashes or other errors.

I'm not sure if other people are having the exact same error I got, or if it's happening with other cards and other decks. If it's happening with other cards, then anybody who is reasonably computer savvy should now be able to fix it. For anyone who's having the specific issue I was having, I'm going to detail my Vampire Lord replacement deck below. All "Drain Life" cards have been replaced by "Syphon Soul" cards, since they seemed like the closest match. Other than that, no changes were made.

4 Animate Dead
4 Dark Ritual
2 Howl from Beyond
3 Nettling Imp
4 Sengir Vampire
2 Sorceress Queen
3 Syphon Soul
4 Terror
2 Uncle Istvan
4 Vampire Bats
2 Will-O'-The-Wisp
4 Mana Vault
22 Swamp

Anyway, it's not a perfect solution, but I'm making this post in hopes that it will help some other people get around this game breaking bug.

EDIT: Oh, if you're not seeing the ".dck", ".bak" or ".exe" file extensions, you probably have visible file extensions turned off. It probably shouldn't matter, but if you care you can disable it. In Windows 7, you can make them visible by going to Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Folder Options, then click the "View" tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". I imagine it's fairly similar in other Windows OSes.

EDIT 2: Well, just after typing this up I fought an Aga Galneer who threw up the same error. Probably has Drain Life in her deck, too. So this workaround may be more involved than I had hoped, but it should still be doable. I'll probably update this post as I come across more problematic decks. Hopefully I won't have to, but there are probably more out there with Drain Life in them.

EDIT 3: Aga Galneer replacement deck:

2 Ashes to Ashes
3 Syphon Soul
2 El-Hajjâj
2 Erg Raiders
2 Greed
2 Juzám Djinn
2 Sengir Vampire
2 Unholy Strength
2 Giant Growth
2 Giant Spider
2 Hurricane
2 Stream of Life
2 Healing Salve
2 Savannah Lions
2 Serra Angel
3 Spirit Link
2 Jade Monolith
3 Onulet
1 Sol Ring
4 Bayou
2 Gem Bazaar
4 Savannah
4 Scrubland
2 Forest
4 Plains
4 Swamp
honeybunch

Postby Huggybaby » 31 Jul 2014, 02:25

Thanks for the info honeybunch.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Sandsnake » 20 Sep 2014, 18:51

Any updates on this error? it is definitely due to drawing too many cards, have now tested with w 4 copy timetwister disintegrate deck.

Any way of increasing that hard limit of 1900 cards to a non hard limit, say, 24k?
Sandsnake

Return to Shandalar