It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:25

Text Size

Master list of bugged cards in Shandalar?

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Master list of bugged cards in Shandalar?

Postby Hadsingrinsen » 03 Aug 2013, 23:00

I was happy to see Shandalar available again; I remember playing it years ago. Unfortunately, the numerous bugs make this version of the game unplayable. For example, Shapeshifter never gets a chance to change, because the upkeep phase is skipped, and likewise you never get the opportunity to pay 4 mana to untap a creature that was hit by Paralyze. Jade Statue seemingly doesn't work unless there are other attackers or blockers (once I changed it and it was the only creature I had, and before allowing me to assign it to block the computer dealt me damage and the game ended.) The AI used to play a pretty tight game, and would wait until blockers were assigned to apply buffs, but now I see it buffing creatures before combat. Also, when attacking, it seems to want to apply buffs to the creature it thinks is most likely to block. The third time I watched the AI lose because it played Giant Growth on my creature instead of its own, I had to stop playing.

Since I understand that development of Shandalar has stopped, and there's not much chance of all this being fixed, my question is whether there is a master list of Shandalar cards the AI misuses, or which don't work properly, so that we can remove them from the game.
Hadsingrinsen

Re: Master list of bugged cards in Shandalar?

Postby Aswan jaguar » 04 Aug 2013, 06:01

For the first 3 bugs you mention it seems they are not bugs at all,you just need to place stops to upkeep,main phase,second main phase so that the game will not proceed,and you get a chance to activate those cards.About the buffing AI always did it in 2 ways (sometimes AI considers better to intimidate you by buffing before and others as a surprise after attackers/blockers have been assigned).
For the list you mention it is mentioned some cards that are not used correctly by AI that's why 2 guys (jiansonz and podbelski) made each an overall work changing cards on the original AI decks,maybe you can try that out.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: Master list of bugged cards in Shandalar?

Postby Hadsingrinsen » 05 Aug 2013, 16:38

Thanks a lot - I think I'll keep at it. Once I realized that you could place stops to make those cards work, my attitude softened a little. I'll just go ahead and remove all the instant buffs that target a creature but don't specify attacking or blocking, like Giant Growth and Berserk. Maybe that will do it. I've also read that Moat and Tempest Efreet are no good for the AI. Anybody know any others?
Hadsingrinsen

Return to Shandalar