It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:47

Text Size

Shandalar Featured on Channel Fireball

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Shandalar Featured on Channel Fireball

Postby HarlequinCasts » 10 Oct 2013, 11:33

Adam Barnello (Channel Nightmare) - Shandalar Adventure

Perhaps this will lead to an spike in traffic? I see slightlymagic being plugged in the discussion comments.
HarlequinCasts

Re: Shandalar Featured on Channel Fireball

Postby ShadowcatX » 10 Oct 2013, 16:08

Indeed, it brought me by at least.

I must say that Shandalar looks really fun. Pity I'm on a mac.
ShadowcatX

Postby sandman423 » 10 Oct 2013, 17:01

I am also On a Mac and want to play this.
sandman423

Postby gmzombie » 13 Oct 2013, 18:18

If ur on a new mac just setup a windows xp virtual machine or whatever the mac vm is.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby ShadowcatX » 15 Oct 2013, 15:45

That's easy to say but it requires virtual machine software and it requires a copy of windows XP.

I've tried it with Wine, but it didn't work. (Of course I'm not significantly experienced with wine either, and I can't say that it didn't fail because of user error, but I'm fairly certain I did everything correctly.)

There's a site that says they've ported the game over to mac and you can play it for free, so I'm downloading that, I'll report back if it works. (By the by, if it does work, is it acceptable to link to outside sites here? I know every website has their own what's acceptable policy.)

ETA: I've downloaded and got the port open, it has its own version of Wine built in I guess. I'm just now working on it but it seems okay. I'd link the port but it looks too spamy. I can tell you I googled "shandalar 2012 mac" and it was the site for portingteam.
ShadowcatX

Postby Huggybaby » 17 Oct 2013, 19:11

We don't have any rules against linking, we're not anal control freaks like a bunch of places. Sharing is caring right? :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby ShadowcatX » 17 Oct 2013, 20:28

I was unable to. *shrugs* It happens I guess.

The shandalar on mac is pretty buggy, so if anyone is using that save often and be prepared for some frustration and heart ache, but it is still better than nothing.
ShadowcatX

Postby Huggybaby » 17 Oct 2013, 20:35

As a spam control measure, you can post links only after you've posted five times on the forum. Or, use "ht tp" instead of "http", or "dot" instead of ".", anything to break the link, you get the picture. I guess I'll add that to the rules for new members to read.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Bog Wraith » 20 Oct 2013, 15:31

I've been using Shandalar on my Mac for years with absolutely no problems and no issues with save game files. I am using Parallels and Windows 7. Before that I had XP running on Parallels as well.

I'm not sure what virtualization software you guys are using but if it's not Parallels I suggest that you look into it as it works for all my different Windows games and some apps that I still run.

I run Parallels on a Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini & a MacBook Pro, all with no issues and all are running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

Parallels cost around $80 so if your budget doesn't allow for that there is a free vm software app that runs Windows & other os's called VirtualBox. I used it in the past before buying Parallels. It worked ok & I was able to run Shandalar but there were issues with it although I understand that it is even better now. If you want any more info on this here is the link to MacUpdate that's worth checking out:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24801/virtualbox
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby ShadowcatX » 21 Oct 2013, 04:26

I'm not running any virtual machine software. The people I mentioned earlier ported it over to the mac through the use of a built in WINE. Its free and it doesn't require any additional software to run. It does sometimes freeze up in an opponent's second main phase and sometimes your hand disappears (it comes back if you click the life total or move to another phase). I haven't had any issues with saves.

And while not the perfect thread for this, I completed my first play through of the game. (I started others before to look at what decks I liked, but I didn't go much further than that until this save, though I have made others to play around with different decks.) I went through on the 3rd difficulty and really just dominated at the end. A couple more play throughs and I'll be ready to use the mods for the opponents decks I think. (Especially the end boss, his was atrocious.)
ShadowcatX

Postby anomie » 05 Nov 2013, 15:28

I saw this on CFB when it was originally posted - I was in Europe on a business trip at the time.

I had the game when it first came out but really only played the single-game-against-ai mode, and didn't even play that all that much.

When I got back from Hungary I dug around in boxes in the garage, found a win95 install, found the game CD, set it up on a VM.

I've worked my way into playing this deck (I still only have 13 life but I win a *lot* - got to this fairly quick as I beat some guys that let me dupe a card - Land Tax seems stupid good in a format with the old mulligan rule, I've won a *ton* of games with just a plains and a land tax in my opener):

3x Serra Angel
3x Moat
3x Land Tax
2x Wrath of God
3x Swords to Plowshares
1x Disenchant
3x Prodigal Sorcerer
2x Control Magic
2x Boomerang
1x Mox Sapphire
1x Ivory Tower
3x Tundra
2x Mishra's Factory
6x Plains
5x Island

Playing just 40 for consistency. Games can be really long but I've been beating 'life carries over' dungeons by finding an easier guy to fight first, getting him to 1 with a Tim on board and an ivory tower out and just sitting there to get huge life totals (or just Tim for the win if something scary happens), sometimes swords'ing my own serras to get extra ..

I should've played this game more back when it first came out ...
anomie

Return to Shandalar