It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:34

Text Size

Preventing game over

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Preventing game over

Postby Loh » 18 Dec 2013, 10:59

Guys.

"The Red Wizardess minion has tapped Eloran Oasis and cast dominion spell."

"The Red Wizardess have attained dominion over Shanalar."

Unfortunately I have a saved the game virtually moments before this happens. So now I must start a new game.

I have no clue what I should be doing to prevent this. My black or black green deck can probably handle most enemies (at least with savescumming.) Any idea what I can do in future to make sure a game over doesn't happen?

Is there any way to monitor who\what needs to be defeated to prevent game over?

That said i have an older save, where I probably have enough time to run across the entire map and fight who i need to fight.
Loh

Re: Preventing game over

Postby jiansonz » 18 Dec 2013, 22:09

The red wizardess gained control over three cities (or five, if you had the Ring of the Guardian). That is what any of the five wizards try to do to 'win the game'.

How to prevent it? Simply put, don't let them take over more than the occasional city. And if they ever get within one more to win (i.e. when they take over their second city (or fourth, if you have Ring of the Guardian) then do what you can to take it back.

It is less costly (and easier) to defend cities than to have to take over them.
The world magic Sword of Resistance lets you immediately teleport to a city under siege as long as you have white amulets, so I always make my top priority to buy the Sword of Resistance early and then make sure I have white amulets all the time.
jiansonz

Postby HarlequinCasts » 18 Dec 2013, 23:17

Basically what Jiansonz said.

If a city is under attack, you need to go there and kill the attacker (much easier option).
If the city has already been captured, you need to recapture the city. The defender will get a bonus and its a bit of a harder fight.

When an AI gets 3 cities they win the game, unless you bought the Ring (available at a random city) in which case they require 5 cities to win. You need to balance building your deck and conquering things, with preventing the AI from winning.
HarlequinCasts

Postby Loh » 19 Dec 2013, 12:24

That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you guys. That sword of resistance sounds like just the thing.

Is there a way to tell which wizard has how many cities, and where they are?

Edit: I have located the sword of resistance but I'm not sure how to purchase it. Also am I understanding correctly that red cities on the info map are captured by red forces, black by black forces, yellow ... by yellow forces... etc?
Loh

Postby jiansonz » 19 Dec 2013, 18:20

Loh wrote:That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you guys. That sword of resistance sounds like just the thing.

Is there a way to tell which wizard has how many cities, and where they are?

Edit: I have located the sword of resistance but I'm not sure how to purchase it. Also am I understanding correctly that red cities on the info map are captured by red forces, black by black forces, yellow ... by yellow forces... etc?
Yes, the map shows this. (although it is slightly confusing that a city under siege is also shown with red text (no matter what coulour the attacker is). You can also see how many cities they control by looking at that picture of the five wizards you see the animation of every time you win a duel (or look at the 'Wiz stats' in the character section). Every little orb around the wizards' heads shows how many cities they have.

If a city has a world magic for sale, you will be offered to buy it (provided you have enough gold) when you leave that city.
jiansonz

Return to Shandalar