It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:36

Text Size

Problem w/Shandalar2012_Installer.exe

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Problem w/Shandalar2012_Installer.exe

Postby Ken » 19 Feb 2014, 21:16

Hi everyone,
Last year in April, I was given this version of Shandalar from Huggybaby: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4nNBkq ... sp=sharing
I didn't have any serious problems except for a couple in-game repeating glitches, so I made a donation to GoblinHero (was very excited to be playing this game again!) and have been playing on a regular basis since. Even got a new laptop in December and didn't have any problems installing/playing on it ... up to a couple days ago. After messaging Huggy, it was suggested I post it to the forum. The details for those who think they may be able to help (I only know the basics of computers, so please bear w/me :? )...
-Running Windows 8
-Got onto my laptop first time that day (2/15), there was a message stating to restart computer due to updates from Windows. Upon research help from Huggy, it would appear this is the update: "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - February 2014 (KB890830). " It appears to take place on the 15th of every month.
-After checking emails, I started Shandalar. The game loaded as it normally does, but noticed the option to 'Resume Game' was grayed-out. I went to the load screen and saw all the save files were gone. I had games saved on 5 of the slots ... the others were the pre-saves. All the slots were blank ... there weren't any words on the slots.
-I double-clicked on the first slot and the pre-save loaded (I think it was the White mage). As I did a couple things within that game, every time the screen would change, there would be an in-game error message stating "error writing map file" ... it would pop-up in the upper left corner of the game screen.
-I then tried starting a new game (this is where it gets really weird). After making all the opening choices, I went to the closest village, made choices, then saved the game with the name "black". I reloaded that save and saw that the save-slot was missing the last letter I entered on my first save, it now showed "blac". Additionally, the game that loaded was not what I saved. What loaded was the pre-save from that slot (which was the white mage). Furthermore, everytime I loaded that save, a letter would disappear from the end of the word til there wasn't anything remaining.
-I uninstalled/reinstalled many times over, but still had the same problems. During each install, a window would pop-up at the end of the installation w/the following:
"-Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable Setup-
Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software.
The following blocking issues must be resolved before you can install Microsoft Visual
C++ 2010 x64 redistributable setup package.
Please resolve the following:
A newer version of MVC++2010R has been detected on the machine."
The only option is to close or go to Microsoft Visual Studio website for more info.
-There WAS a Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x84 (or 86) I removed, but still had same problems.
-I also have a program of Shandalar under Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall that I can't remove. Every time I try, I get a message stating, "1628. Failed to complete installation." Although, I think this has something more to do w/trying to install one of the versions from Ciroth's signature (which I can't get to work).
To anyone who read all of this, thank you! And if anyone has any thoughts, would love to hear (read) them :D
Ken

Re: Problem w/Shandalar2012_Installer.exe

Postby crazy9000 » 20 Feb 2014, 01:25

I wrote an installer guide for the Ciroth version here, you might want to use that to make a fresh install: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13548

Otherwise, make sure you are running it in compatibility mode for windows Xp (my guide mentions how to do that if you aren't familiar with windows). The game doesn't run without it on windows 8 for me.
crazy9000

Postby Ken » 20 Feb 2014, 01:57

Thanks for the reply!
-Keep in mind, I've already been playing on this laptop for the past couple months, so it was already installed properly.
-I did read about the compatibility mode on these forums (may have been your guide) and gave it a try, but it didn't work. Although, I think it was because that version (Ciroth's) wasn't installed properly.
-I believe when I tried to install Ciroth's version, I read a couple different things on how. One was the readme file he included; the other MAY have been your guide. I will give it another try in a few :)
Ken

Postby crazy9000 » 20 Feb 2014, 02:46

The only other thing I can think of would be to disable anti-virus software, in case it's blocking something (especially during install). I wouldn't worry about the C++ message... if you have a newer version that's probably a good thing.

Maybe exit anything that puts on overlay on games, if you have that... like Steam, FRAPS, or MSI afterburner. That's a bit of a stretch though. I remember xfire would keep the old deck editor from working.
crazy9000

Postby Ken » 20 Feb 2014, 20:32

After reading your guide, I realized I used it before. I tried again anyway and the problem I'm having is the Shandalar.exe file isn't there. I am looking in the Program sub-folder. There are 2 Shandalar files, but neither are exe w/the skull icon. One is an application, the other is a "Microsoft Office Excel Comma Separated Values File" (whatever that means).
Ken

Postby Ken » 20 Feb 2014, 21:04

Ok, lol, so after reading through some old posts, I saw it was mentioned to install the game outside of Programs, I did this, and now have the Shandalar.exe w/skull icon, lol. The thing is, under the 'compatibility' tab, Windows 8 is not an option. Being as I only know the basics, any thoughts on what one to choose? Windows 7? Windows XP (service pack 3)? etc?
Ken

Postby Ken » 20 Feb 2014, 21:55

I tried running it w/Windows 7 Compatibility, but it doesn't work. For the heck of it, I tried w/every option listed, but it didn't make a difference. Also, I'm running under Admin and am choosing from the sub-folder ... just keep getting the popup "Magic the gathering has stopped working, Windows is blah blah blah ..."
I believe, back in April, I was trying to get this to work on my previous computer, couldn't, and that's when Huggybaby gave me the link I mentioned in my original post.
This is a bummer ... I was enjoying playing this (Huggy's link) ... weird for it to just stop working properly ... and just my luck ...
Ken

Postby Huggybaby » 23 Feb 2014, 05:13

I suggest getting rid of Windows 8. :)

Have you looked in your registry and deleted everything regarding this install?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Ken » 24 Feb 2014, 01:43

Hey Huggy!
I tried that a couple days ago, but couldn't find the Shandalar file in the Registry (I had to go online to find out how to do it). After reading your post, I decided to try again and Googled what you posted. The website I found w/how-to instructions had me go about it a bit different than the one from a couple days ago; I was able to find the Shandalar files and delete them (although, there's still a Shandalar file under Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall that won't come off :? ). Additionally, I did a custom install and put the file in C: instead of the default of Program Files(x86). Every time I would install the link you gave me, I couldn't find the file in Program Files ... I would have to do a search or launch from the desktop shortcut ... it's like it was hidden :roll: .
Anyway, this last time seems to have worked :lol: !!! I don't know if it's because of the Registry Editor or because I installed it under C: :?: Either way, when I load up the game, all the pre-loaded games are there. If I start a new game and save it to one of those slots, MY save will load instead of the pre-load from that slot. I'm going to play around in Shandalar tonight to see the problem is solved [-o<
Ken

Postby Huggybaby » 24 Feb 2014, 15:59

Thanks for the good news! Did you try installing as "Admin"? And yes installing to C:\ has helped many.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Ken » 24 Feb 2014, 21:34

I had been trying to install as Admin AND using the Compatibility option, but still wouldn't work. This last install, I didn't use Admin or Compatibility ... just the registry editor & directly into C: I played around for a couple hours last night and it seems to be fine ... I even installed Manalink 3.0, which is incredible!
It's all very weird, cause the install I did back in April (and had been playing) was in Program Files(x86) ... I don't understand why it would just stop working properly ... and then have all these issues trying to get it installed/working correctly
Ken

Postby crazy9000 » 25 Feb 2014, 03:22

Does Shandalar actually use the registry? I thought you could copy paste it without installing and it would work fine. I don't have it in the list of installed programs on my computer.

I play a lot of old games on windows 8, and the only problem I've had that win7 doesn't is in Deadlock II, some direct draw compatibility or something is removed in windows 8 and it makes the screen black. Apparently the game is only drawing the pixels that change, and windows 8 isn't keeping the other ones there so you get a mostly black screen.

Anyways glad to see you got it working again... hopefully it stays that way! If it stops working again for no reason, it must be some third party software that is messing with it.

If it's working now, you can hit (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) to bring up the task manager, then take a picture of all the programs running... then if it has problems again, try closing any program that wasn't on your picture.
crazy9000

Postby Ken » 25 Feb 2014, 04:27

^that's a good idea
Ken

Return to Shandalar