It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:06

Text Size

Updates on the way.

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Updates on the way.

Postby Bog Wraith » 17 Apr 2016, 02:56

Spork wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18510&p=195651#p195651
Made this specifically for new users or people in your case that don't want to put everything together again, I will continue to update the post with the latest full package. The only thing it's missing is all the art for plains, I had made it so only the unhinged art shows for plains and wasn't going to change that for these, but I will for later expansions.
Actually I downloaded your files last night & tried it but I still had to install files from within your upload which resulted in the same problem I was having.

The file I got today from TheKillerNacho was a completely installed version with nothing for me to do but unzip & run. This worked perfectly.

I did read stassy's comment about some duplicate files and your response that you would remove those and update your version.
I am now downloading your update that you changed today to see if that will work as well.
I will post how it did to let you know.

Thanks for putting that package together for everyone, especially for the new kids in town who will benefit from it the most! :)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Spork » 17 Apr 2016, 03:14

Yea, the folder was a mess with a couple layers of folders and the archives in it and all but it should be correct now. The only thing that's "off" would be there's only 1 art of plains because I wanted to see if I could force it to maintain 1 art. I'll make sure that it won't be like that for everyone when I upload a new one next patch.
Spork

Postby Bog Wraith » 17 Apr 2016, 03:37

Spork wrote:Yea, the folder was a mess with a couple layers of folders and the archives in it and all but it should be correct now. The only thing that's "off" would be there's only 1 art of plains because I wanted to see if I could force it to maintain 1 art. I'll make sure that it won't be like that for everyone when I upload a new one next patch.
Ok, I'm happy to report that your new version is also working very well & I was able to search for cards in the latest DL1 release while in a Nomad's Bazaar. I now have two separate installs that offer me a snapshot of where everything is now, for when we move forward with future releases.

Thank you again for your efforts as they are & will be for many others, much appreciated!
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Spork » 17 Apr 2016, 03:53

No problem, I don't really have much I can contribute in forms of programming as my knowledge is super limited in it, so I guess I'll just stick around and keep recent full installs up on that post!
Spork

Postby Rawky » 17 Apr 2016, 05:11

On the subject of Cart Art, in the CardArtManaLink folder, go ahead and change the name of "To Arms!.jpg" to "To Arms_.jpg". Otherwise, the game can't load the art.
Rawky

Postby Bog Wraith » 17 Apr 2016, 15:24

Rawky wrote:On the subject of Cart Art, in the CardArtManaLink folder, go ahead and change the name of "To Arms!.jpg" to "To Arms_.jpg". Otherwise, the game can't load the art.
Nice catch Rawky!

If you all are too lazy to search & rename it, I included it here! :P
Attachments
To Arms_.jpg
To Arms_.jpg
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby TheKillerNacho » 17 Apr 2016, 16:02

Rawky wrote:On the subject of Cart Art, in the CardArtManaLink folder, go ahead and change the name of "To Arms!.jpg" to "To Arms_.jpg". Otherwise, the game can't load the art.
Nice! I had noticed this too, but I didn't know how to fix it (and didn't want to bother Korath with it since its just a minor display issue that I assumed he was already aware of).
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby TheKillerNacho » 21 Apr 2016, 14:57

Okay so I don't know how possible this is and I also know Korath has stated before that game balance isn't his primary concern right now, but I feel like I should mention it anyway.

Whenever I play through Shandalar, I can't help but feel lifelink is far too good, specifically in rare card dungeons. In the base game, these were incredibly hard because life carried over and good healing cards were few and far between. In the current version, however, slap a few lifelink creatures in your deck and these become a cake walk if you manage to get your life high enough. At around 50 or so, enemies straight up stop trying to attack you at all pretty much. Now I know I could place self-limitations on myself to not use lifelink (I already do for a few cards), but it's usually a decent relatively balanced ability that I definitely want to use in certain decks without feeling cheap.

So my question is this - how hard would it be to implement code that "caps" your life at the end of each duel in a dungeon to your actual starting life total? Let any reductions in life carry over - just make if you have any additional life over your normal starting life total, it is removed. Obviously this would be toggle-able via the ini. This would essentially nerf the power of lifelink (and life gain in general) in dungeons. I haven't looked at the code but unless the implementation of the life carry over is incredibly odd and complicated, I don't think this would be a hard thing to add.

Just an idea I had while playing through the game again. Either way thanks for all the hard work you do Korath!
Last edited by TheKillerNacho on 22 Apr 2016, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby Rawky » 21 Apr 2016, 17:25

Double-Post. Not sure how that happened. :(
Last edited by Rawky on 22 Apr 2016, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Rawky

Postby Rawky » 21 Apr 2016, 17:26

TheKillerNacho wrote:At around 50 or so, enemies straight up stop trying to attack you at all pretty much.
I've noticed this as well and I quite dislike it. Is there a way to turn it off or change the numbers somewhere? I want the enemy to attack me with a vengeance. Actually, I've also noticed that in some situations the AI just quits casting spells at all, just draw-go.

You do have a point with lifelink. Perhaps I'll increase the value of lifelink in the gold cost formula. It won't solve the balance problem, but it will create a little more distance between point a and b.
Rawky

Postby stassy » 22 Apr 2016, 05:01

AI enemy behavior in the field is documented and can be modded in the Shandalar.ini file

;The number of victories you must have over a particular enemy before it will
;flee from you. The count is kept separately for each color of terrain an
;enemy spawns on - for example, your victories against Fungus Masters who
;spawned in Forests won't count against Fungus Masters who spawned on Islands.
;
;If a negative number, then the game difficulty level (0 for Apprentice through
;3 for Wizard) is added to its absolute value. For example, the default value
;of -3 means that you need 3 victories for an enemy to flee at Apprentice
;level, 4 at Magician, 5 at Sorcerer, and 6 at Wizard.
;
;Defaults VictoriesForFlee = -3.
VictoriesForFlee = -3
;The number of victories you must have over a particular enemy spawned in a
;particular color of terrain before it will offer tribute to you.
;
;If a negative number, then the game difficulty level is added to its absolute
;value.
;
;Defaults VictoriesForTribute = 5.
VictoriesForTribute = 5
;particular color of terrain before it will no longer be spawned.
;
;value.
;
;Defaults VictoriesForNoSpawn = 9.
VictoriesForNoSpawn = 9
stassy

Postby timmermac » 22 Apr 2016, 13:02

Is there an upper limit to these values?
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby TheKillerNacho » 22 Apr 2016, 15:42

stassy wrote:AI enemy behavior in the field is documented and can be modded in the Shandalar.ini file

;The number of victories you must have over a particular enemy before it will
;flee from you. The count is kept separately for each color of terrain an
;enemy spawns on - for example, your victories against Fungus Masters who
;spawned in Forests won't count against Fungus Masters who spawned on Islands.
;
;If a negative number, then the game difficulty level (0 for Apprentice through
;3 for Wizard) is added to its absolute value. For example, the default value
;of -3 means that you need 3 victories for an enemy to flee at Apprentice
;level, 4 at Magician, 5 at Sorcerer, and 6 at Wizard.
;
;Defaults VictoriesForFlee = -3.
VictoriesForFlee = -3
;particular color of terrain before it will offer tribute to you.
;
;value.
;
;Defaults VictoriesForTribute = 5.
VictoriesForTribute = 5
;particular color of terrain before it will no longer be spawned.
;
;value.
;
;Defaults VictoriesForNoSpawn = 9.
VictoriesForNoSpawn = 9
I'm talking about the AI in the duel, not AIs on the world map. When you reach 50 life or so, I've noticed enemies tend to become passive and don't attack with their creatures.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby TheKillerNacho » 22 Apr 2016, 15:47

Rawky wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:At around 50 or so, enemies straight up stop trying to attack you at all pretty much.
I've noticed this as well and I quite dislike it. Is there a way to turn it off or change the numbers somewhere? I want the enemy to attack me with a vengeance. Actually, I've also noticed that in some situations the AI just quits casting spells at all, just draw-go.

You do have a point with lifelink. Perhaps I'll increase the value of lifelink in the gold cost formula. It won't solve the balance problem, but it will create a little more distance between point a and b.
I don't think it is lifelink itself that is the problem; lifelink is a decent but balanced ability in single duels. The problem is the ability to roll-over those life gains from a single duel in dungeons.

On an unrelated-to-lifelink note, I think the gold formula should actually be increased across the board ideally. I usually end up with thousands upon thousands of it even when I'm not engaging every single enemy. Actually the major problem is that certain cards seem to sell for a huge sum. Is there a way to lower the sell amounts but keep the buy amounts the same?
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby Rawky » 22 Apr 2016, 18:12

TheKillerNacho wrote:Is there a way to lower the sell amounts but keep the buy amounts the same?
This was part of I wanted to implement, but I'm not sure if it's possible.
Rawky wrote:When sold to a vendor, my suggested sale price is 10% of it's buy price for a common, 20% for uncommon, 40% for rare, and 80% for mythic.
If that proves to still be too high, then maybe drop it all the way down to 5/10/15/20.
Rawky

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar