It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:34

Text Size

Updates on the way.

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Updates on the way.

Postby ElvishSpirit » 08 May 2015, 02:08

I got it working now, but my next question is any way to get the screen resolution? It changes my resolution from 1920x1080 to something much smaller on its own
ElvishSpirit

Postby Korath » 08 May 2015, 02:26

No, it only runs in 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768. Fixing that is one of my major goals, because I normally run at 1920x1080 too and it's seriously annoying.

In the meantime, I've found it least disruptive to run on a secondary monitor.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 May 2015, 04:19

Ok, I experimented with installing the mod on 3 different computers. I was having trouble getting it to run on any of them when I tried to place the directory in any other place but the Program Files (x86) folder. So now my Windows 7 installs on my Wintel machine & my Mac Pro using Parallels, are located in that particular folder & they both are working beautifully.

My iMac is running it on XP, also in Parallels and it is located in the Program Files folder.

So I copied one of those working installs of Korath's release and zipped it, then uploaded it to my MediaFire vault so I could post a link here for those folks that maybe having trouble getting this to work.

I'm not sure that this will work for you, but I'd like to see if it does. Just remember to unzip the folder into your Program Files (x86) folder, if you are on Windows 7, and the regular Program Files folder if you are on XP. Not sure if they will work with things like Vista or Windows 8 etc, as I don't have those editions to test with.

Please post your results here and let us know if it works for you & if so, how it is running overall performance wise.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4kkpg ... ar2012.zip

One last thing. This Shandalar install was from the one that had all the save game slots occupied with different colour & powered decks.With Korath's additions, you will find many of the new cards in those pre constructed saved games, but some will be like the Draft card or Archenemy card that will show up in the selected card pools. Just remove those that will not function in Shandalar and replace them as you go with new cards you will find/earn along the way.
---------------------------------------------
Edit

Here are the two files for the most recent release, Ruined Tower 2. Extract the two files and place them in your Shandalar Program folder. They will overwrite the two prior version files. You only need these two files if you have already downloaded my above working install zip file.

This is a link to the post for Korath's latest release notes:

viewtopic.php?p=179315#p179315
Attachments
Ruined Tower 2 Update For Bog Wraith Install.zip
Ruined Tower 2 Files
(866.4 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby mathusalem » 08 May 2015, 13:05

Fantastic, korath !
although I do have some major crash issue. at the moment I haven't been able to play more than one match.
mathusalem

Postby gmzombie » 08 May 2015, 16:56

Shall we make a dedicated bug reports thread and do what we do on the manalink side korath?
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 May 2015, 17:07

I was just setting the bug report thread up when you posted this. :)
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby gmzombie » 08 May 2015, 17:15

Great minds think alike old friend

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 May 2015, 17:25

Agreed. You & I and some of the other Mok alpha boys have been at this a long time. I am so glad that were still together all these years later.

Speaking of the devil, how much better can it get? I even see a certain guy named mathusalem showed up today!

Great to see you again mathy, it's been awhile old friend! :D
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby gmzombie » 08 May 2015, 17:36

I can only think of 2 things offhand besides card updates and this also goes for manalink too. Sideboarding which is not needed in shandalar though it is really needed in mana link and what korath already said about resolution. I'm very very impressed with everything that has been done so far. Math did you ever get anywhere with those shandalar pics we talked about years ago lol. I know u updated the advface64 but I think u got busy after that?

gmzombie

Postby quatrocentos-e-vinte » 08 May 2015, 21:15

This is insane. Thanks to Korath and everyone that helped make this possible (mostly Korath :lol: ).

Also, thanks Bog Wraith, for your neatly pre-packed Shandalar2015 (wink wink) pack. Just wanted to point out my experience with the installing and the gameplay:

1) First, I tried just extracting to some random folder and running it. Apparently, it worked, but then, after a while, the "event things" (i don't know their name... those things that show up randomly on the map, that can give you bonuses and carts and stuff) started crashing...

2) So, I though maybe this erratic behaviour was because I hadn't extracted to "Program Files (x86)", as directed... after trying that, it became even worse (some strange "can't write to map" errors or something kept showing up... possibly related to permissions or something)...

3) After trying some stuff, it seems the problem is that the files are set as encrypted and read-only. Reverting those two thing seems to have solved the problems... no more crashes.

Game-wise... haven't found any bugs...

This is so cool [-o<
quatrocentos-e-vinte
Programmer

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 May 2015, 21:40

First off, welcome aboard! :)

Thanks for the info on how you set up the install on your computer.

Read only files I can understand but having it encrypted is not something I did or understand how that would've come about. :?

Anyways, I'm glad you're playing with it and enjoying the new look to the game. Please visit us often and post any bugs or other game related issues that you may come across.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby mathusalem » 08 May 2015, 22:13

Bog Wraith wrote:Agreed. You & I and some of the other Mok alpha boys have been at this a long time. I am so glad that were still together all these years later.

Speaking of the devil, how much better can it get? I even see a certain guy named mathusalem showed up today!

Great to see you again mathy, it's been awhile old friend! :D
Hello, hello !
yes it's nice to see the old gang is still around :)
I'm still roaming and come back to visit every once in a while, although, now i'm working on a regular basis (not in graphics unfortunatly) and have a lot less time to do test the game.

i'll go to the bug reports presently.
But I wanted to add that although I haven't been able to play a lot so far (the crashes have been very disruptive) i really enjoyed the new cards and the decks. i think the player's deck is quite nice to play. At least now you can try to duel even before altering your deck. the decks are smooth, and not full of junk. the choice given in the villages is really enjoyable as well. And it a whole new experience now.
So overall, two big thumbs up on the redesigning of the game experience :)
mathusalem

Postby Aswan jaguar » 09 May 2015, 06:34

Bog Wraith could you please remove now the following sentence under Shandalar in main forum that irritates me?
The original game, only fixed for modern operating systems.

and put instead the one like under Manalink 3.0:
Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering! 8)

Don't you think it is the right thing to do! :wink:
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby stassy » 09 May 2015, 09:37

Glad the announcement was made global, I only noticed it until now and now I'm one month late :(

About the card testing, what cards must be tested, all the current cards in the game? Cards made vanilla must be ignored?

Shall we also report the "old issues" like the screen black flickering in the bug thread too?

The question with AI tinkering like casting Giant Growth on your creatures just to get a life point with Wooden Sphere or his own Desert on his attacking creature?

Also found out that in the deck editor, if you use too often the stack selection with SHIFT, the whole screen will go black until you exit and re-edit your deck.
stassy

Postby Bog Wraith » 09 May 2015, 14:14

Aswan jaguar wrote:Bog Wraith could you please remove now the following sentence under Shandalar in main forum that irritates me?
The original game, only fixed for modern operating systems.

and put instead the one like under Manalink 3.0:
Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering! 8)

Don't you think it is the right thing to do! :wink:
I agree with you that it is now time to change that text. I don't know where that particular control is as I don't think that as a moderator I have the access for that. I will PM Huggy and ask him to do it because he originally set up all the different forums when CCGHQ was coming online, so he knows where all the skeletons are buried! :twisted:
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar