It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:49

Text Size

Updates on the way.

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Updates on the way.

Postby gmzombie » 04 Sep 2015, 15:37

As always korath thanks for your tireless work on this wonderful game. I for one always get excited reading your in depth review of what you are doing at the moment.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby CirothUngol » 05 Sep 2015, 00:23

^^ What he said ^^

Thanks for keeping us posted, and for bothering to squander countless hours of your spare time on the tedious task of deciphering de-compiled re-compiled assembly code (the worst), all for the purpose of making the game work correctly... from the ground up. Each of your efforts will eventually make it just that much easier to write bug-free cards for Shandalar that work in the way they're intended. Hot Damn!

It's always great to read about the wheres and hows of your progress, as daunting as they may be. Reading the GitLogs from your releases is almost as much fun as playing the game that comes with them. ^_^
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby AlexFolland » 06 Sep 2015, 19:38

LMAO:

How did I do it? Well, here's the phase just before the final attack:

I must have done >4000 damage.

It could have been so much more if the +1/+1 counters weren't capped at 255. The 4 Primordial Hydras would have been doing even more ridiculous damage.

I wish there was Kalonian Hydra and Followed Footsteps. That, alongside Primordial Hydra, is my favorite combo of all.
AlexFolland

Postby RyanfaeScotland » 07 Sep 2015, 12:31

Fascinating reading Korath. Will need to make time to read through this thread properly.

I've been toying with the idea of updating the deck editor I wrote a while back (linky) and came here to see if there had been any updates recently that I should be aware of.

Anyone following this project, or any others, know if there is already something that makes my old deck editor a relic yet?
RyanfaeScotland
Programmer

Postby CirothUngol » 07 Sep 2015, 15:19

Hiya Ryan! Nice to see you back in the forums.

Yes, I recently released the SVE Tool v0.2 which allows you to inject cards, manipulate SVE values, find compatible playdecks, and a few other things. It works with all known versions of Shandalar, so please check out the ReadMe, give it a whirl, and lemme know what you think.

PS: Dig the GitLogs in Korath's releases, they're chock-full of great info!
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Grinerdam » 08 Sep 2015, 19:58

Hey guys, I've downloaded and replaced the files of shandalar-428...loremasterstower3 but it didn't fixed the "cdtolls.dll error" when I try to run Shandalar.
My manalink 3.0 runs perfectly well, with fate reforge update, but not Shandalar.
Can't find the attachment with the other loremaster file I heard about.
Can you guys point it to me?
By the way, thanks all you guys of the programing crew. This game was part of my childhood. You rock!
Grinerdam

Postby stassy » 09 Sep 2015, 12:55

AlexFolland> Nice one!

Maybe it would be worth to share our Shandalar winning decks like in the Challenge section :P
stassy

Thieves Hideout 2

Postby Korath » 10 Sep 2015, 01:07

Last edited by Korath on 19 Dec 2016, 19:21, edited 3 times in total.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Zero Cool » 14 Sep 2015, 19:00

ok I play tested some very random cards the Ai constantly makes very bad trades vs Angelic Overseer and stuff like Angelic Page if that can not be improved I'd suggest removing said cards.

also my first post here been lurking awhile keep up the great work guys if i encounter anything else I'll let you know.

**edit been using the build you said was the most stable if that has any effect on this or not I have no idea.
Zero Cool

Postby Korath » 14 Sep 2015, 19:05

Today's accidental discovery:
handsize.jpg
I've meant to get the game to do this for a long time, but never really looked into it because I expected it to be more difficult than it'd be worth. Turns out that the limit of 8 cards displayed in your hand at a time is completely artificial; it only needed to be changed in one place.

Zero Cool: Yes, the combat AI is very poorly understood so we can't really do much to tweak it directly; and it's difficult to replace wholesale because parts of it are stuck in the middle of the main_phase() function (which is an 880-line-long mess).
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby H4rdcoreLoser » 14 Sep 2015, 23:59

Great work so far, I'm also new to the forum but downloaded and enjoyed the heck out of this Shandalar update. As far as play testing goes in Regards to Thieves Hideout 1,

1) When enemy resolves Smoke and following through to upkeep the game seems to stall for me because I am prompted to untap creatures I don't even have on battlefield and even if I do doesn't seem to respond to my selection.

2) Drop of Honey or Porphyry Nodes seems to ignore my Argothian Enchantresses possibly due to her shroud. I also believe they wont target protection from G or W respectively although that's not how the rules say it works. Anyways I've been abusing my playthrough with endless creature destruction as long as the Enchantress is in play with the enchantment.

As for the future I'm really hoping you add planeswalkers, even though I'm sure its a pain in the butt.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure everyone here appreciates it.
H4rdcoreLoser

Postby stassy » 15 Sep 2015, 03:16

Please post the bugs you find in the Bug Tracker area, thank you :)
stassy

Postby Korath » 15 Sep 2015, 07:57

And in these two particular cases don't even bother. Smoke was already reported and is fixed in Thieves Hideout 2 above. Drop of Honey is entirely a bug in the MicroProse version (and not even a bug when it was made - the wording of the card at the time was "During your upkeep, bury target creature with power no greater than that of any other creature that Drop of Honey could target. If there are no creatures in play, bury Drop of Honey."), so isn't eligible for change in a bugfix release. I've already rewritten it for the next full version.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby H4rdcoreLoser » 15 Sep 2015, 15:55

Ok great. Sorry for posting in wrong section. I'm glad you're on top of it Korath!
H4rdcoreLoser

Postby lujo » 15 Sep 2015, 18:20

Hi, and thanks a lot for this, you can't immagine (or maybe you can).

I went to try it out and, well, is there a way to limit the cards available in an user friendly way? There's way too much stuff in there and most of it doesn't play with the rest of it. Is there a way to use the decbuilder or some other interface to put togather a custom list of stuff that's in? I'm perfectly capable of arranging custom sets and metagames with enough right stuff to equip all the monsters with and keep it interesting and viable to collect decks, but doing it with having to type every card and set (while not being aware of what is in and what isn't from each set) would be insane.
---

My Shandalar deck pack folder is avaliable here:Dropbox
Leave feedback on particular decks here: Google doc
Ask for instructions, give feedback and complaints here: Thread
lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar