It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:33

Text Size

Updates on the way.

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Updates on the way.

Postby Gunslinger » 02 Jul 2015, 06:47

Korath wrote:Play at 800x600 and they'll fit onto the screen.
Ok, here is the silly question. How does one change the in-game resolution?
Thanks.
Gunslinger

Postby stassy » 02 Jul 2015, 07:49

The game fit the OS default screen, so if you set windows to 800x600 it will automatically run in that configuration
stassy

Postby gmzombie » 02 Jul 2015, 16:15

that is for the original game shandalar 2012 with no fixes on it. If you play the new game you can run it at 1024x768 and the computer should automatically choose the best one from 1024x768 or 800x600 or 640x480 depending on your computer.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Crag Hack » 02 Jul 2015, 16:52

I posted some bugs in the program bugs, it wasn't very easy to find the tracker, that's the right place? Also is the following considered a bug? Underground Sea appears in menus as "Undergd. Sea" or something like that.

Apart from a very specific crash with the shapeshifter that I reported in the bug tracker, the program runs well with no problems.

In other news I like the fact that you start with a random selection of cards. I liked the new cards, they give many ways to play and have fun. I didn't find interesting artifact creatures.

AI seems better, it doesn't make the tragic mistakes it used to. Of course Arzakon cast Energy Flux and spent all his mana trying to keep his fellwar stones/celestial prisms, etc.

I find very annoying the fact that some dungeons require no cards of a specific color. I was playing the apprentice level with a blue deck and had to build a second color deck to enter two dungeons prepaired. It took quite a bit of time, felt like grinding. If this could change, it would be less frustrating for a beginner.

Also some dungeons say small creatures in their description but I got biiiig creatures like Hydras. Is this because I had already won a lot of matches and small creatures seemed to disappear from the adventure map?
Crag Hack

Postby Crag Hack » 02 Jul 2015, 17:55

Also something else that I don't know if it's a bug or legal. AI used Arena and chose a creature that was already attacking (no vigilance) . So he destroyed one of my creatures and dealt damage to me through the attack. How did it do that? I thought when you declare an attacker it is automatically tapped before you can play a fast effect. Or did it tap an already tapped and attacking creature? I don't remember, did this happen to anyone else?
Crag Hack

Postby Aswan jaguar » 02 Jul 2015, 18:16

AI was legal to tap a tapped creature and actually made a very nice play.
Relevant rule:
10/4/2004 Either or both creatures can be tapped prior to using the ability and it still works.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Huggybaby » 02 Jul 2015, 23:57

Ah, the old days. Thanks AJ!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Sephelosia » 03 Jul 2015, 11:08

Hello everyone,

i'm a big fan of Shandalar and it's among the most played games i've played. Seeing this game getting updated/improved is something i'm very excited about. I would like to shout out a big thanks to everyone working on the project.

I'm currently at work so i'll install the game tonight or tomorrow. If I run across any trouble of bugs i'll be sure to report them here or in the bug tracker.
Sephelosia

Postby stassy » 04 Jul 2015, 05:31

Also a note for bughunters : all the cards are entirely recoded so they are completely different from their Manalink counterpart, meaning if you find a bug in ML3 or Shandalar it doesn't mean the bug will appear on the other mode(eg. Sheltering Word is bugged in ML3 but not in Shandalar).

Also it was already said earlier but the AI behavior is different too so you can't reliably test your Shandalar deck in ML3.
stassy

Re: Ruined Tower 4 / Loremaster's Tower 2

Postby CirothUngol » 05 Jul 2015, 18:33

Korath wrote:Figure out what needs to be done to reliably get wizard animations to play.
I've probably played this on a dozen different WinXP and Win7 machines over the years and have never had an issue with the animations not playing. Perhaps it's the Combined Community Codec Pack, which I've always installed on my machines since the Win98 days. Use the 'CCCP Insurgent' to remove previous codec packs (if found) and install the latest CCCP.

Anyone who was having problems with the animations not playing, please try this solution and let us know if it helped.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Crag Hack » 06 Jul 2015, 09:51

I would like to mention one thing that could be annoying for players, especially beginners. When you go into Nomad's Bazzar and you want to check the prices for cards, you navigate through the lists with the arrows and you click on a card to see its price/description. After that you get asked if you want to buy it provided you have the money. My problem is that if you answer no, you go back to the first page of the list. In the old game this wasn't a problem because card were few, but here to check for example 20 creatures' descriptions/prices there is a lot of clicking involved. Is this something that bothers other people and can it be changed so that you stay on the same page of the list?
Crag Hack

Postby stassy » 06 Jul 2015, 11:21

It happen also when you buy a card and want several of it, though maybe create a ticket in the Bug Tracker section?
stassy

Postby dingbat1 » 06 Jul 2015, 22:49

I'd like to request a feature, but one that should be at the bottom of the priority list. However, I think it's worth thinking about how to implement early on, as it may affect other decisions.

Could you at some point allow users to select which blocks to use when starting a new game? Then only cards from that block / those blocks will appear in-game.

I don't believe this should be particularly difficult to program, but there is a bigger issue in terms of which cards to put in castles, building appropriate decks, etc. On the other hand, the deck-building volunteers could have a lot of fun crafting decks for each block.

For now, this should be low priority, because until there are significant cards of each block available, tested, and finalized, it's kind of pointless. But in the long run, it could be fun to, say, play a mod based on Ravnika (both blocks) or innistrad. Maybe one day someone might make a mod based on Mirrodin, with a trigger for the Phyrexian invasion. I'm not asking for this now, but the possibility is definitely there to do something really cool down the road, and allowing for this might impact decisions made today
(or not. I don't know enough about programming to know how this would impact)
dingbat1

Postby Korath » 07 Jul 2015, 01:30

There's already a feature request open that covers most of that. It was already my intention to make the dungeon/castle bonus cards configurable, and that should cover the rest.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby guinsoo » 07 Jul 2015, 05:28

While we're talking about castle cards -

It looks like the game has always been coded such that the 3 cards you can find in the dungeons/castles are pointed to by line #, and the card that starts in play is stored by card ID. I notice that in ct_all.csv the card IDs are not referenced (unless that's what the hex value is, a pointer to cardID) - is it possible to reference all new cards via card ID anyway for the dungeons?
guinsoo

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar