It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:11

Text Size

Great AI plays or unexpected nice plays-Shandalar version

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Great AI plays or unexpected nice plays-Shandalar version

Postby Aswan jaguar » 21 Jun 2015, 08:27

I saw some very nice/interesting plays from AI in shandalar but didn't decide before to make a post about them like I have done for Manalink until this unexpected play today.
I enchanted with Spirit Link a Flying Man enchanted with Spectral Flight to buy me a turn or 2 as AI was beating me.I had Mirri,Cat Worrior to block/kill AI's Master Of Waves but nothing to block AI's Vaporkin and Cloud Sprite.
AI at 13 life - me at 7.Then AI cast Echoing Truth and I thought damn there goes Mirri AI will hit me for 6 and will be hard to survive playing Archangel of Thune in my turn.AI however returned with Echoing Truth his Spectral Flight! enchanted with it Master Of Waves which now couldn't be blocked by Mirri,Cat Worrior and AI hit for 8 not giving me the slightest chance.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: Great AI plays or unexpected nice plays-Shandalar versio

Postby stassy » 25 Jun 2015, 06:15

At low life, AI will sac his own creatures through his own spell in order to trigger his Throne of Bone.

stassy

Postby Aswan jaguar » 02 Dec 2015, 15:47

AI needed some boost to his ego as lujo has called AI so many names and asked me if I could help.
AI plays very good with this deck but this time was super as you can see what army has assembled AI on 3nd turn if I remember correctly or 4th if I don't (as I was so much surprised that forgot who played first)!Sure it had top cards to use,still :supz:
Attachments
2015-11-29_164424ai rules.jpg
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby dingbat1 » 02 Dec 2015, 16:36

Overall, the AI works fine. Sometimes, the AI does make bonehead plays... but so do a lot of people. The difference is that you can show a person what they did wrong / why, and they can learn from the mistake. The AI, on the other hand, would need to be reprogrammed, and trying to do so for every card and every possibility is nigh impossible.

If there are any particularly stupid things that the AI does wrong every single time, and if these are serious enough, maybe we should compile a list and politely ask Korath if he can take a look at it.

My only concern is that the list should be curated, to prioritize by importance/prevalence, and to weed out the issues that only affect a small number of unimportant cards.
dingbat1

Postby lujo » 02 Dec 2015, 20:52

That's quite far from the truth, let me just leave it at that.

This one time the AI did surprise me with lifting my guy up with Power Matrix and killing it with Return to the Earth. It surprised me because I forgot I put those cards in there for that precise purpose. If it wasn't able to do that, that would just mean I have to put some other cards in there to perform that function.
---

My Shandalar deck pack folder is avaliable here:Dropbox
Leave feedback on particular decks here: Google doc
Ask for instructions, give feedback and complaints here: Thread
lujo

Postby lujo » 15 Dec 2015, 04:03

Oh god, I got one and it made me jump from my seat. Was testing a new Thought Invoker deck and I wasn't too happy with what I was seeing from Cursecatcher and Patron Wizard. But then:

See screenshot.

What happened was that I had no reason to believe the AI could even tap other wizards for Patron Wizard (it tended to not do it even when it would counter stuff). And I have a Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary on board so I'm swimming in mana - didn't think it could counter anything.

So I went to cast something and all of a sudden it tapped a bunch of things. I'm thinking "wth, now it tapps them, when I can pay?". Nope, it cast Sunder before thing resolved. Which I also didn't know it wouldn't just madly throw as soon as it draws it (and I forgot to reveal it's hand!).

Then I fogot to tap Rofellos in response to Sunder, which would've foiled it's plans, because I forgot what actually makes him make mana. It's forests, which I didn't have anymore. Daym. Got Sunder ed and got my spell countered.
Attachments
AI nuts.JPG
---

lujo

Postby lujo » 20 Dec 2015, 12:42

Allrigt, here's another one:

I've been kinda abusing the Voracious Cobra , as the AI tends to not handle it well at all (it blocks it with things that could kill it stat-wise but don't have first strike etc.) I've been meaning to take it out of the deck because nothing seemed to be stopping it when I went up against a Summoner.

It attacked with a Tangle Mantis (vanilla dude) into my Voracious Cobra , I blocked , and BAM - Healing Leaves.

Whoops, I forgot I didn't actually take all combat damage prevention stuff out of the pool! Didn't see it coming ^^

(Was also glad there's a way to deal with that thing if the pool is ligt on first strike, too. Still reported it (I bet I'm not the first), it's very abusable).
---

lujo

Return to Shandalar