It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:16

Text Size

Should I be talking about this?

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Should I be talking about this?

Postby soap » 02 Nov 2015, 15:53

I have a blog (attractiveape. com) which no one reads, and I moderate a subreddit (/r/completegames) which hardly anyone reads. I've been pretty thrilled about the new additions to Shandalar and with that on my mind I wrote an article about the game and how it's still the best Magic-based video game even today, and how it's so great that it's still being played and updated, etc.

Given Korath's post about not wanting to attract too much attention though, I'm hesitating about publishing the article. Yes my blog is sufficiently low-profile that it almost certainly wouldn't matter, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble. What's the word on promotion?
soap

Re: Should I be talking about this?

Postby Korath » 03 Nov 2015, 02:29

If there's reason to hesitate, it's mostly because the game's still a buggy, incomplete pile of crap. Maybe in a year or two it'll be less embarrassing to have my pseudonym associated with it.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby soap » 03 Nov 2015, 05:02

So I'll sit on this article for... a year or two? Bleh. Okay, that's fine. I guess. Maybe I'll write something about Etherlords 2...

Edit: that came off as too negative. Maybe I'll write something about Etherlords 2 (smile emoticon). It's less interesting since it isn't currently being worked on, but it's still a good subject.
soap

Postby BlueTemplar » 07 Nov 2015, 10:48

Same day you posted this thread, this happened :
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11 ... gathering/

P.S.: Would be interesting to compare the increase in traffic before and after... as the 6th first tier comment links here...

P.P.S.: And this the day after :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeZE3UWNoOE
Expect a sudden increase in interest.
BlueTemplar

Postby stassy » 09 Nov 2015, 07:03

A very interesting comment in the RPS article is from CoyoteTex as he is supposed to be one of the original dev...maybe toss him a PM for the *cough* source code *cough*?

Edit: Also, Sid Meyer di the AI but had no clues of mtg rules...guess he was like us at those times :D
stassy

Postby BlueTemplar » 09 Nov 2015, 10:44

Would it be "safe" to tell him about the issues you're having by posting an answer there?
BlueTemplar

Postby Korath » 11 Nov 2015, 20:12

Please don't bother him. It takes an extremely unusual programmer to remember the technical details of something you did a year ago, let alone close to 20; and even if he still had a copy of the source, it wouldn't be his to provide.

(He actually went to the trouble to register here and send Gargaroz and Sonic and Mok and I a very kind PM.)

That preview card video is pretty awesome. (I saw the card spoiled on mtgsalvation, and didn't think to check out the source.) Maybe I can eventually make parts of their mockup a reality.

soap, if you're still here: my initial reply came out more negative than I'd intended, too. If folks aren't technically-minded enough and familiar enough with the Manalink engine that they're having problems with installation, even from the vague directions I gave, they're probably not going to enjoy playing the game at all, with its reams of known bugs and missing must-have features. They're certainly not going to be able to give me coherent bug reports. Mostly, I was concerned with people getting the wrong idea about how far development has progressed and coming here and getting frustrated and disappointed.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby BlueTemplar » 12 Nov 2015, 17:18

BlueTemplar

Return to Shandalar