It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:59

Text Size

Returning player to Shandalar

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Returning player to Shandalar

Postby Vernon » 01 Feb 2016, 02:12

First, I'd like to apologize to Korath for my rudeness in his thread. I have created this one for my own problems to atone for injecting them into his. I am copying most of my initial post below:

I'm in need of help from an installation point of view. I've come back after a long time away and am trying to play Shandalar again with all of the new cards in it. I keep missing a step or four along the way. If someone can post a detailed updated installation post, that would be helpful. Also, I have Win 10, so that may impact things.

@Korath: Everything I have seen here in the forums looks good, and I was a long time Magic player. I stopped shortly after college, but did try Forge for a while. I'm ready to help w/ Shandalar again, but as stated above, my installation is flawed with the latest error up at the first of this post. Win 10 shouldn't be an issue, but getting the right files is. I am not a new player, just a returning one after 6 years! :oops: 8)

My brother mentioned that Shandalar had gotten a major upgrade/update and pointed me to your thread. It is at that point that the excitement blew my senses out. What I have done:

Downloaded multiple zip files, including the Shandalar 2015 update.

Because of all the mistakes I made previously, the Shandalar 2015 update is the only one that is currently unzipped.

The zip/rar/7z files I have are:

ML3update060514.rar
Shandalar2015.rar
ML320150325-FR.rar
ML320150325.7z
ML1.3.220110711.7z
ML3PortalsToTheros.zip
ML320151225BFZ.zip and 160114BFZ2.zip
Sorlacks Graphics
Card Art updates (all 4)
NB1
LT2
RT4

The only one unzipped right now is the Shandalar2015 one as it has everything (including working shandalar.ini and cdtools.dll files). The other archives seem obsolete, now that I look at it objectively. I got this archive from https://mega.co.nz/#!9htwFQbC!SYN2nQ3... From the stuff that's in the folder, I have the following:

CardArtManalink has 13,895 items in the folder and a Folder date of 7/24/15.
CardArtShandalar has 1,260 items and a date of 8/18/12, which leads me to think this is not a folder to follow.
CardArt has a date of 7/25/15 which is when the archive was uploaded.

My head is spinning with the possibilities. It looks like all I need to do is take the latest zip (either the BFZ one or NB1, which one?) and put in the Shandalar 2015 folder. It also looks like I don't need the entire archive, but... What do I do now?
When playing, card text is important. Read and understand it. It will usually prevent most errors.
Vernon

Re: Returning player to Shandalar

Postby Vernon » 01 Feb 2016, 05:55

A note about the archive linked:

The archive I linked was done by someone who uses these forums and had evidently already done these steps (not these specifically, but others listed in this forum) beforehand. Basically, I happened to find it by chance and thorough searching, saving me hours of frustration and choice posting.
When playing, card text is important. Read and understand it. It will usually prevent most errors.
Vernon

Postby gmzombie » 03 Feb 2016, 18:57

I just seen someone say to not have compatibility mode enabled. Try that. Unfortunately not a lot of us have windows 10. I have 7 64bit I think korath still has xp
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Vernon » 04 Feb 2016, 00:02

Compatibility mode disabled or enabled? In the archive and exe I use, it is disabled and works fine. I will test this later using the (more) complicated method later with Korath's instructions.
Vernon

Postby Vernon » 04 Feb 2016, 05:37

I actually managed to get this to work! It is updated to NB1.
Vernon

Postby gmzombie » 04 Feb 2016, 21:17

good job. yea the installation is a bit of a headache but once you got it down its nothing.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Return to Shandalar