It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:59

Text Size

Shandalar Installation Question

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Shandalar Installation Question

Postby Lorka » 01 Feb 2016, 22:49

Hi all,

Sorry for the newbish questions. I have been wanting to try out magic for a good 15 years now, and just stumbled upon Shandalar. I figure it would be a fun way to get to know the game. Anyway, I have been looking about all over for some kind of installer, without success.

I found a shandalar 2015 rar, but when I clicked on the exe. it got mad and said a bunch of things were missing and it could not run. Can anyone point me what I need to do get started with this.I would really like to be able to play this game, and then later some of the others like x-mage, once I have a clue. Sorry for my techno-retardation and thanks in advance to any kind soul who is able to show me the way.

Cordially,

Lorka
Lorka

Re: Shandalar Installation Question

Postby Vernon » 02 Feb 2016, 00:57

It sounds like you didn't do a proper installation. If you kept the archive, then follow these instructions:

1. Delete the folder where you initially put the contents.
2. Make sure it is a complete archive and do NOT delete any files in the archive or you will have to download it again. The link can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18213

3. For a clean install, do NOT put this in C:\Program Files\. Instead create a separate folder like D:\Shandalar and unzip the entire archive into that folder.
4. Locate Shandalar 2015.exe in your newly created folder and create a shortcut to be placed on the desktop.
5. Click the shortcut and enjoy your adventure!
When playing, card text is important. Read and understand it. It will usually prevent most errors.
Vernon

Postby Lorka » 02 Feb 2016, 01:29

Thanks Vernon. I will try again tomorrow and check back here.
Lorka

Postby Vernon » 02 Feb 2016, 02:16

If you have a problem, don't hesitate to ask anyone on the forums. I recently returned myself, so I will not have everything down for quite some time.
When playing, card text is important. Read and understand it. It will usually prevent most errors.
Vernon

Postby Lorka » 02 Feb 2016, 22:53

Thanks Vernon... It seems to working okay now, thanks. Some issues with the screen size seem to cut the text from some of the cards, and I am not sure how to run it in windows mode, but am loving it so far. Once I know how to play the game a little better I will try out x-mage, or some other product recommended here. Many thanks
Lorka

Postby Vernon » 02 Feb 2016, 23:33

You're very welcome. As far as windowed mode goes, that question is best left to Korath or someone who has more technical experience coding Shandalar. However, I think Shandalar's base resolution is 1024x768 and is not designed for a windowed mode. I'm not sure about this, though.
Vernon

Postby timmermac » 03 Feb 2016, 00:01

I believe one of Korath's goals is to update Shandalar's resolution modes to support modern displays.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby gmzombie » 03 Feb 2016, 13:32

So here is some info. The main screen is a Max of 1024x768. Dual is full screen. To see the rest of the test got the bigger pic to bathe left if your in deck builder amd right click on the text. It will give you an option to expand text box. One of the big problems with shandalar is the resolution won't support a higher resolution and has a nasty graphic corruption.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Return to Shandalar