It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:26

Text Size

Is there an error output log file?

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Is there an error output log file?

Postby Rawky » 26 Mar 2016, 04:35

Is there a way to find out what the error message pictured below refers to? I hadn't received it before today. Been playing with this install for a couple weeks.
error.jpg
Rawky

Re: Is there an error output log file?

Postby Korath » 26 Mar 2016, 08:14

Not in this case, no. There isn't any error checking at all for the open() or write() system calls leading up to that message, which is where they'd have to be to find out what specifically failed; just for the close() at the end, which is usually only enough to tell that something did.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Rawky » 26 Mar 2016, 21:50

I got the same message at various times while moving through the map and again on the Quit option.

The game didn't crash, but spat out the same message periodically.

Edit: I may have solved the issue. I may have also caused it. If so, slightly embarrassing. My lesson seems to be: don't set the folder (and contents) to Hidden.

Also, where is the best place to report bugs that I didn't cause? :)
Is there a specific thread or do I just start a new one?
Rawky

Postby Korath » 27 Mar 2016, 00:08

The bugtracker linked at the top of the screen.

Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Rawky » 27 Mar 2016, 01:59

Sorry if that seems like laziness on my part. I seem to have had a (cognitive or perceptual) impairment for many years. Sometimes when I am actively looking for something (usually small within my field of view), and I know it should be right in front of me, I simply do not see it despite trying to look at every single thing that I can see. It affects me both on the computer screen and out in the world. Sometimes it's things like pens or scissors. Other times it's an icon or text on the screen. I first started to notice it about 10 years ago when I played World of Warcraft; I'd put an item in my backpack and then I was unable to find that item even though I knew what the icon looked like and that it should be there. It can be very frustrating and stress-inducing. I'd eventually find the thing I was looking for, and it was always in a spot that I had already looked but for some reason did not recognize it as that object. It's as though the information is going in to my brain, but it's not recognized as matching what I am expecting to find. Maybe a memory fault. I've mentioned it to a couple doctors, but they didn't really have much input for me.

A couple weeks ago, I think it happened with a person for the first time. I saw someone in my field of view, among other people, and he seemed to look like another person I know, so I registered him as the other person. Then when I looked at him again a couple minutes later, I realized it wasn't who I had thought it was. It took me by surprise, but I tried not to show it or say anything. I remember feeling confused and a bit surprised.

Because of these situations, I've developed certain strict habits such as always putting small items like my keys and wallet in exactly the same location so when I need them I know where it is. Unfortunately, this still sometimes fails me. I guess this is part of getting old. :(
Rawky

Return to Shandalar