It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 22:45

Text Size

[Helpful for new users] Full Package Installs!

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: [Helpful for new users] Full Package Installs!

Postby Althuna » 22 Feb 2017, 04:27

I don't think WOTC would care about this. If they started trying to shut it down, the first thing that would happen is it would get reported all over the place and people on forums talking about it, and suddenly, thousands of paying MTG / MTGO customers who never heard about about a 'free magic' will start checking it out. That is the last thing they want. As it stands, very few people have even heard about this.

The next thing that would happen is that the project goes underground, and then comes back with a different name, and is harder to keep track of for WOTC. Maybe even tweak the names and artwork so it can no longer be legally threatened, which is something I've seen happen before with MMO Emulators.

Also, as much as I love Manalink, it is quite limited in some ways, the UI is a pain to use sometimes, and the AI just isn't very good. It just doesn't understand the concepts of how many decks work, so it can't play them properly. It only really knows how to throw down creatures or spells, and it rarely uses any combos. It is nice to try out deck ideas and for casual MTG playing, but it is a far cry from the experience you get from MTGO. I played that game for a long time and it was really good, also it had modes like 2 Headed Giant, and 4 player games become a lot more addictive once you get into it. And the tournaments etc.. Manalink only provides a tiny taste of the MTG experience and I think WOTC would be too confident in their products to worry. I think if Manalink ended up with an easy installer, easy updater from within the game, more regular patches and card updates, a multiplayer mode that works over the internet, and a better AI, then they might start raising an eyebrow. But even then, it would need a lot more users to be a threat.

Just my imho 2c anyway.
Althuna

Postby RanDomino » 27 Feb 2017, 00:40

Panicking about copyright infringement is silly and it's extremely unfair to destroy this project over one idiot's vacuous bather.
RanDomino

Postby bobjohns » 09 Jun 2017, 20:48

I saw in a post Korath mods can not be downloaded I was wondering if I could get better clarification about this bundle is it safe to download?
bobjohns

Postby TheKillerNacho » 14 Jun 2017, 13:47

bobjohns wrote:I saw in a post Korath mods can not be downloaded I was wondering if I could get better clarification about this bundle is it safe to download?
These bundles are safe but not of the newest version. Hopefully Korath comes back and makes the newest version available again soon.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby Spork » 06 Sep 2017, 10:32

Hi everyone I said I would be active in keeping this thread up to date but alas I definitely have not.
I'm not going to lie I really can't be bothered sifting through the forums to find the pieces but I'm more than happy
to update this post if any of the big names like Korath do shoot me a pm with a few links and I will overhaul this post if
someone hasn't done so already! Let me know in a reply or a pm if someone has already taken over this small help.

Also: I get emails every now and then about the dropbox links being suspended for excessive traffic so I imagine
that means they're still being used. Let me know if you haven't been able to get access preferably via private message and I will
gladly take a look. I'm just visiting back to play a little shandalar and would not mind updating this post if someone messages
me with links to new patches and such. (I'm very lazy tbh!)
Spork

Postby Aswan jaguar » 06 Sep 2017, 12:43

While you were absent we had an incident and all of Korath's mods have been withdrawn by Korath because of an attack made to him.You can find more info here:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=19626
Also Korath has requested all people to stop distributing his patches, please respect his wish and remove your package, too.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Aswan jaguar » 07 Sep 2017, 04:52

Thanks, for removing the links respecting Korath's wishes. :)
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Previous

Return to Shandalar