It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:33

Text Size

[Helpful for new users] Full Package Installs!

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[Helpful for new users] Full Package Installs!

Postby Spork » 14 Apr 2016, 23:00

EDIT: PACKAGES REMOVED BY REQUEST. Will upload up to date ones and overhaul the end-user post if/when possible

Editlog: 4/16/16: Removed excess archives making files abnormally large, installing should run much smoother

5/22/16: Checked for updates, saw nothing new.

8/16/16: Edited post slightly, noticed that 2 more recent versions have been added, will get around to compiling them like I did with these below. The ones below still work fine, just are missing some of the most recent sets like SOI, and a handful of added cards from older sets.
(Will add an editlog when the latest builds are up on here)

Hello everyone! As someone who just found out Shandalar was still alive and well I had to figure out how to get it working. Let's just say I don't do well with forums where there's a bunch of "find the latest x here" "you need to install this, then this latest patch, then go here", etc.

After a while of trying to navigate the works of the wonderful devs/bug testers/everyone elses' work, I finally managed to compile the fully working game. However I then realized there were people struggling with this as well as people that simply gave up trying to make it work. Hopefully, I've taken the searching out of the mix and I will try to keep full Manalink + Shandalar full packages here for you. Editlog will be updated!

The zip file(s) contain(s):
1) Manalink 3.0, patched to BfZv2.0 - This is the normal client for building decks, dueling vs the computer, and drafting. Open this by opening "Magic"

2) "SarlackML3GraphicsWideV1.3" - This is a graphic update for the deckbuilder and the duel that gives it a nice new look to it, with playmats and such to choose from.

3) Changed Soundpack - The old sounds with Shandalar + the AI's think time reduced greatly = headache. This new soundpack has what I feel are nicer sounds. I got these from some version I installed from some youtube video, so don't have the source on these.

4) Shandalar, patched to Abandoned Shrine 3 AND Dragons Lair 1.
Dragons' Lair 1 is the most recent expansion but has some untested cards and is more likely to crash/have bugs. I have personally not had any issues in this over Abandoned Shrine 3, but the choice is yours. AS3 is the recent and more stable patch.
(Expansion names are just names used to track dev progress on shandalar)

5) Enemy Deck overhaul - It really wouldn't be a challenge to beat the AI with their old decks with access to newer, higher quality stuff. By skimming through the page for enemy decks it looks like a lot of people have been working on these and contributing so sorry for not tracking you all down and giving you all credit. I really enjoy these lists as they scale with the enemy AI well and I'm sure anyone who grabs this bundle will feel the same!

I will probably update what whole bundle(s) I have up on my Dropbox as time goes by. (They take a bit of time to compress and upload.) This is mostly for you new people that for some reason can't get everything situated. Feel free to link wandering noobies to this!

You can get the bundles here:
EDIT: Bundles are not going to be available for now!

Abandoned Shrine 3:
(Slightly more stable, at the cost of some cards.)
Link Removed by request

Dragons Lair 1:
(Slightly less stable, with some more cards.)
Link Removed by request

Also excuse any save game I may had at the time of uploading, easy to overwrite though!
Last edited by Spork on 07 Sep 2017, 04:47, edited 7 times in total.
Spork

Re: [Helpful for new users] Full Package Installs!

Postby stassy » 16 Apr 2016, 04:53

I just tested your archive and it seems to be there is an archived dupe of your game folder in it, that is why your file is a whole 2 Go(there are also a cardart archive and a LD1 patch that can be also removed).
stassy

Postby Spork » 16 Apr 2016, 05:45

Oh wow, oops. I do have the archives within the folder that I forgot to remove. I'll upload one without all that and up to date with DL1 tomorrow. Feel free to link people here if they're lost like I was once I get the new one up! Thanks
Spork

Postby Korath » 16 Apr 2016, 05:50

If you're building packages for end-users, you really, really should be using the stable version, not the bleeding-edge one. It's easy to upgrade a working installation; downgrading, not so much.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Spork » 17 Apr 2016, 01:21

Well after correcting what stassy pointed out, I fixed my uploads so they don't have unnecessary archives in them. Currently, there's AS3 and DL1 up and I noted in the post what the difference is.
Spork

Postby briala » 20 Apr 2016, 23:53

Thanks for this! Just found this site, was starting to grok the piece-by-piece instructions, and then was relieved to find someone had done the building for me.

And of course also huge thanks to the developers who've kept this going. I came here hoping just that there was a way to run the original game, imagine my surprise and delight when I saw how much has been done since. The game started right up and I was playing nearly instantly! (I also lost nearly instantly, I see the enemy decks are much improved from what I remember ;-))
briala

Postby Spork » 22 Apr 2016, 02:06

No problem! Happy shandalar-ing!
Spork

Postby Ciar59 » 22 Apr 2016, 16:38

Had a problem getting Magic.exe in Abandoned Shrine to work until I put all the contents of the main folder into a folder named Program. Im not sure what way you have Dragon's Lair so you might need to do it there also.

Thanks a million for the upload Spork and to all the developers, testers and everyone involved for all their hard work.
Ciar59

Postby Spork » 25 Apr 2016, 01:48

Ciar59 wrote:Had a problem getting Magic.exe in Abandoned Shrine to work until I put all the contents of the main folder into a folder named Program. Im not sure what way you have Dragon's Lair so you might need to do it there also.

Thanks a million for the upload Spork and to all the developers, testers and everyone involved for all their hard work.
Hmm, that's weird. I just opened my AS3 Version that I uploaded and the Magic.exe ran Manalink no problem. Well at least you got it working and if anyone else has this issue this would be a great way to try to fix it!
Spork

Postby Ciar59 » 09 May 2016, 00:00

It is weird cos it happened again and when I changed folder to different name, it started working again.
Ciar59

Postby aemin » 21 May 2016, 14:30

hi, i cant find a download link for the unaltered game, i mean as is, without any extra cards, custom mods etc. can someone give me a hand?
aemin

Postby stassy » 21 May 2016, 15:00

Check CirothUngol profile, his online storage should have what you seek.
stassy

Postby oreosxe » 23 May 2016, 19:27

I also would like the game with original decks and cards. But I do like the graphical updates and soundpack updates and the fact that it works with Windows 10(something my other version doesnt do anymore) I am in the same boat that the forum seems a little less straight forward to me. I just want to replay Shandalar like I did when I was young.
oreosxe

Postby RanDomino » 24 May 2016, 02:13

Downloading now, thanks!

Edit: It works perfectly right out of the box!
RanDomino

Postby Korath » 24 May 2016, 04:39

oreosxe, the real answer to "How do I play the original Shandalar?" is "Look for an original copy for sale on ebay, and run under emulation if it doesn't work on modern Windows."

Failing that, the first couple posts in this thread describe, in general terms, what needs to be done. Please bear in mind that the versions I've been releasing are still mainly targeted at other people interested in working on the game, not people who just want to play it.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Next

Return to Shandalar