It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:34

Text Size

General Shandalar Discussion/Question

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

General Shandalar Discussion/Question

Postby Spork » 18 Apr 2016, 05:53

Hi everyone! Felt like starting a thread for some general shandalar questions/discussion to share decklists and ask questions and such. I came across something today that was odd that I wanted to start off this thread with. I was attempting the white castle with the deck below, a pretty gross post-control-eldrazi type thing. Part way into the game, an overgrown tomb showed up in the deck. I had one in my inventory I guess, but I'm wondering why it showed up in the deck during the game? Also, what do you have to do to make the characters start to run away from you and if you catch them you can take like gold/food/cards? I saw some video a while back where the characters were afraid of the guy playing.

Screenshot of deck:
https://gyazo.com/7abd3a1f03bccaba841eecbf358b01bc
Spork

Re: General Shandalar Discussion/Question

Postby Korath » 18 Apr 2016, 06:51

About that Overgrown Tomb - had you recently freed a city a wizard had taken over? If so, it's already documented as part of bug #738.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Rawky » 18 Apr 2016, 07:45

Regarding enemies fleeing, you can read and even change the settings for this and other things in the Shandalar.ini file. I use NotePad++ to view/edit such files.

Here's that section in my ini file.
Code: Select all
;The number of victories you must have over a particular enemy before it will
;flee from you.  The count is kept separately for each color of terrain an
;enemy spawns on - for example, your victories against Fungus Masters who
;spawned in Forests won't count against Fungus Masters who spawned on Islands.
;
;If a negative number, then the game difficulty level (0 for Apprentice through
;3 for Wizard) is added to its absolute value.  For example, the default value
;of -3 means that you need 3 victories for an enemy to flee at Apprentice
;level, 4 at Magician, 5 at Sorcerer, and 6 at Wizard.
;
;Defaults VictoriesForFlee = -3.
VictoriesForFlee = -3
Below is a cost grid I threw together for easy reference.
Code: Select all
 -4 -3 -2 -1  0  1  2  3
A 4  3  2  1  0  1  2  3
M 5  4  3  2  0  1  2  3
S 6  5  4  3  0  1  2  3
W 7  6  5  4  0  1  2  3
Rawky

Postby RanDomino » 10 Jun 2016, 23:50

General question- Is there a way to change the AI bonus effects in castles and dungeons (Leviathan, Greed, etc)? I see the entry for it in Shandalar.ini but it doesn't seem to work. I seem to remember reading a thread about it but I can't find it.
RanDomino

Postby TheKillerNacho » 16 Aug 2016, 13:25

RanDomino wrote:General question- Is there a way to change the AI bonus effects in castles and dungeons (Leviathan, Greed, etc)? I see the entry for it in Shandalar.ini but it doesn't seem to work. I seem to remember reading a thread about it but I can't find it.
The ini works... but I believe it won't affect existing save files. If you start a New Game, the change will take effect.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby Korath » 16 Aug 2016, 22:18

If you're certain of that, please file a bug and I'll either fix or document it.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby TheKillerNacho » 17 Aug 2016, 03:00

Korath wrote:If you're certain of that, please file a bug and I'll either fix or document it.
I assumed this was intended behavior... I noticed this awhile ago when I was trying to get rid of god forsaken Power Struggle in favor of something actually tolerable in Memory Erosion. It didn't effect my current save game... I had assumed it was because when Shandalar generates at the start of game, the dungeons were set and saved along with it. Thus, the dungeon cards of a save file were whatever the config was when the save file was created. In that save game no matter what I did (even undiscovered blue dungeons at the time) had Power Struggle still as their card. In my new save game however, they were correctly Memory Erosion.

As I said, I didn't submit a bug report because I thought this was intended behaviour... if you're telling me it's not, I will gladly submit a bug report. Although it was pretty long ago, I do not have either save in question anymore. And I'm not entirely sure which version it even was... probably the one that was current when I first joined this forum.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Return to Shandalar