It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:32

Text Size

new guy wants info

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

new guy wants info

Postby bradr » 24 Sep 2016, 16:48

hi i love that theres a community supporting this i recently discovered ISO 2009/2010 up72111 or something... .. as someone who isnt tremendously computer savy i can cut and paste and follow directions.. what is the most recent relatively stable and fairly easyy to install version of mtg.. im particularly interested in the shandlar campaign ..

yes it be nice if it had look/feel of orignal.. but if someone built a better plane ill fly that instead .. so to speak..
there seem to be so many releases i cant follow which ones are inline with which im not looking for more than maybe new card/deck adds improved AI and possibly less bugs that arent minour typos..
thanks
Brad
bradr

Re: Shandalar Update Patches: Pre Alpha Software Edition

Postby dingbat1 » 25 Sep 2016, 00:35

bradr wrote:and what is the difference between the manalink thread and the one for shandlar? is the shandlar one specificlly focused on the campaign? vrs general mtg??
Shandalar is the campaign. It's basically the game as it was 20 years ago, but had been modded to add some new cards. Until recently, it had a hard cap on the number of cards, and was quite resistant to modding.
Korath recently opened Shandalar up, rewriting a lot of the code, adding thousands of cards, and allowing for a lot of other modifications, such as which cards are found in dungeons. It is still very much a work in progress, but is quite playable.

Manalink consists of just the deck building and duel engine. It was split off from Shandalar years and years ago, when Shandalar was unmoddable. It contains some 70%-80% of all MTG cards. The code consists of a lot of hacks and workarounds.

If all you're interested in is building decks and dueling, Manalink is the way to go, for now. It has many more cards. Shandalar has the campaign, which is fantastic. Furthermore, because a lot of the code has been re-written, rather than just patched over, it is (in the process of becoming) a better overall experience. Due to the number of workarounds in Manalink, there are quite a number of times where the AI's actions just don't make sense, and there are a number of cards/effects the AI doesn't use properly. For the most part, for cards/effects that have been tested and refined, the Shandalar AI is better.

Basically, shandalar is much more of a work-in-progress. Once it's completed it'll be better than Manalink in every way. In the meantime, if you're more interested in the campaign, or if you want a better AI, Shandalar is the way to go, while, if you prefer less bugs/crashes and want more cards, Manalink is the way to go.

Note: there are generally 2 recent releases of Shandalar; there's the more stable release that has less cards, and the release with more cards and probably more bugs.
dingbat1

Postby bradr » 25 Sep 2016, 01:11

Note: there are generally 2 recent releases of Shandalar; there's the more stable release that has less cards, and the release with more cards and probably more bugs.
i picked up the as3 full directory from here
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18510

so what are the 2 releases you were refereing to above???
im assuming you maybe meant as3 and dl 1 or did you mean dlX and something else? its all very confusing basically what release for shandlar is relatively stable.?? and where do i get it and how can i patch my as3.. from the link above (shandlar +manalink..zip) to upgrade to the release you are thinking of
btw thank you so much..

and can see a ton more cards than previous
and yes im currently more interested in shandlar

manalink 3 seems to provide what id wish for in dueling/gauntlet

more interested in running the campaign
bradr

Postby Korath » 25 Sep 2016, 02:03

Please take this to another thread. (If some handy mod could split those posts out and perhaps lock this, that would be better.) The entire reason for this thread is to have something low-traffic that people can subscribe to without having to get emailed for every little thing posted to the development thread.

(edit: If this looks out of context, it's because a handy mod did split them out. Thanks, handy mod.)
Last edited by Korath on 25 Sep 2016, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: new guy wants info

Postby bradr » 25 Sep 2016, 10:55

sorry i put this on the wrong thread oringally..

found as3 manalink and shandlar zip of complete dir./. and then put the shandalar-2067-g797236a-DragonsLair3.zip on it to make it dl3

anything else i need to do or add??
and what thread do i follow to find when the next stable incarnation happens and thank you all so much for keeping mtg alive and improving and playing better and better
bradr

Postby Korath » 25 Sep 2016, 11:53

That should be it. (Though I haven't personally tested your as3+manalink+shandalar package.)

Release announcements are made to the thread you originally posted in. You can subscribe to that to get emailed when a new release happens.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby bradr » 26 Sep 2016, 03:30

Korath wrote:
That should be it. (Though I haven't personally tested your as3+manalink+shandalar package.)
it's not my as3 manalink and shandlar package its the one from Spork

Abandoned Shrine 3:
(Slightly more stable, at the cost of some cards.)

on the helpful for new users..
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18510
thread

is there another or better way to get to as3??
i applied this
shandalar-2067-g797236a-DragonsLair3.zip size 17,774,236 bytes too the as3 directory to make it dl 3 and then the art work update from drool.aug 2016
is that kinda right??
really awesome community..

also is there a list of cards that work in deck builder but that arent allowable in shandalar
bradr
bradr

Return to Shandalar