It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:52

Text Size

Classic Shandalar Installation questions

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Classic Shandalar Installation questions

Postby Astaroth89 » 22 May 2017, 21:37

First, I apologize if this information is covered anywhere else.

I downloaded the classic 1997 Shandalar with no mods or expansions on my Windows 10 PC and ran the game in windows XP compatibility mode. The game runs, but the issues from my limited game time include:
-game crashes when opening deck builder (sometimes)
-card descriptions aren't fully displayed
-wise man hints don't work

Are there any known work arounds? The random crashes make progress impossible. I do not wish to play any expansions or card additions to begin with, just the original game.

I'm tempted to try using a virtual machine, maybe Windows XP or 98.
Astaroth89

Re: Classic Shandalar Installation questions

Postby timmermac » 23 May 2017, 00:09

Try changing compatibility mode to Win98, first.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Aswan jaguar » 23 May 2017, 12:09

1st Reboot your pc.
Then you may need to disable visual themes and aero theme for some things to work correctly.
- As always these info are available in wiki - Manalink3.0 one: https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/ML3_ ... ation_FAQs
- Some extra info in "FAQ , read this before you create a new "Help me" Topic" in Microprose's Magic: The Gathering/ManaLink 3.0/installation and troubleshooting : viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1697
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby TheKillerNacho » 23 May 2017, 12:40

The easiest way would probably be the 2010 Custom Installer ISO, which a link for is in a Sticky on this forum. It is just the original stuff but is compatible with the latest versions of Windows. A real time saver compared to trying to get the original software to work yourself.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby Astaroth89 » 01 Jun 2017, 15:55

I tried the Win 98 compatibility and also tried disabling the visual themes, etc, with no luck. I don't believe there's a way to run the classic game on newer versions of windows without using a virtual machine.

I did download the 2010 Custom Installer ISO, burned it to a CD and went that route. It works perfectly aside from some of the card art being wrong. Greater Land Wurm does not have the correct art for instance, and there are others as well.

Thank you all for the replies and help. Hopefully this thread will assist others in the future with the same question.
Astaroth89

Return to Shandalar