It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:42

Text Size

Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO

Postby Arphahat » 19 May 2010, 03:38

I installed the ISO, but I still have the "Gem" startup screen.

Also, when playing in Shandalar, some of the cards seem broken. Like El-Hajjaj does not properly give life. Is this a known issue, or am I missing something?

Edit: Also, Whirling Dervish isn't getting it's +1/+1 bonus at the end of turn like it is supposed to.
Arphahat

Postby summitus » 24 May 2010, 01:43

Guys,thanks so much for this ,this was my favorite game for years and played for countless hours ( never had anyone to play the real cards with)and to be able to play it again now on windows 7 is just amazing , nothing matches this game as far as I'm concerned and its still better than all the modern Computer TCG's such as LON, STAR WARS etc .. so wooot you've made an old man real happy !! :D :D :D
summitus

Postby Huggybaby » 24 May 2010, 02:37

Hey summitus, welcome. We're glad we've been able to make this game work again, and bring a little happiness to so many thousands of people. We all would love to see a new improved version, but WOTC doesn't seem interested.

I gave this to a friend of mine the other day. He played the demo version lo those many years ago, he never had the full version. What amazes him is that after many hours of playing this version, he has had no crashes or hangs (and neither have I). It's hard to believe this Win95 game can be so stable; I keep playing expecting something bad to happen, but so far it hasn't so I should just relax and enjoy it.

Unfortunately there are still problems. Sometimes you can't sacrifice a card when you should be able to, and on and on. Fortunately, these problems are random, so if you go back to a save then you can proceed. There's nothing we can do to fix these problems, we'll just have to live with them.

Save early and often!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Sonic » 25 May 2010, 01:23

Huggybaby wrote:Unfortunately there are still problems. Sometimes you can't sacrifice a card when you should be able to, and on and on. Fortunately, these problems are random, so if you go back to a save then you can proceed. There's nothing we can do to fix these problems, we'll just have to live with them.

Save early and often!
Hi Huggy :)

Are these specific card problems? It maybe some simple parameter errors in the manalink.csv or cards.dat files.

Obviously, if it affects all 'sacrifice' cards its gonna be more problematic. :(

Post the card names - I'll have a look.
Working On: Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Huggybaby » 26 May 2010, 14:19

Thanks. but AFAIK you have perfected those two files. I don't play enough to be a proper tester, but if I get a valid report of a REPEATABLE problem we'd be happy for you to look at it. All the problems I've seen so far are not repeatable and fix themselves, definitely a bug thing in the code.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby MagicJacob » 26 May 2010, 16:33

hi there,
I really love Magic The Gathering and I am playing since I was a kid.
This ISO. file is awesome. But there's one thing I really don't understand

I've installed the game and everything is working fine. In my Card Art New folder are all my jpg files
from fourth edition and antiquities I guess .
These are the sets and one or two more sets, I am able to play within Shandalar.
If I take a look at my newcardart folder, there are much more sets than a few.
I have almost about 3000 cards in my folder but the game is only recognizing the ones of fourth edition and a few more.
Why I cannot play with mirage and tempest sets ? or Ice Age sets ? how this is possible ?
the jpg. files are all in my cardartnew folder.

the second problem is the christmas update. there is written. all jpeg. files should be put in the folder CardArtLim, but there is still an update for the cardartnew folder with new jpgfiles. what for ?
I thought all jpeg files should be put in the CardArtLim folder ?!?! Have I to delete the cardartnew folder or have I to put it into the cardartlim folder now ?!?!

3rd and last problem

I install the Iso and copy and paste the folders . everything is working. I have no new sets ( only 4th edition and some moxes), but everything is fine.
After installing the new graphic pack, the Eldrazi jpg. file pack and the last christmas update, the new graphic interface is looking nice. there are nice little main menu buttons. I create a character, save it and start a new game.
Suddenly all of my card pics, are GREY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the hell ? why this is happening ??
I can't play the game with expansions of new card sets and if I try to install the new updates, my card pics turn to grey and it still seems like, there are no new card sets to play with ..
what am I doing wrong ? PLEASE HELP

and why in my deck editor, there are more cards to select as in Shandalar itself ?? don't get it
MagicJacob

Postby Huggybaby » 26 May 2010, 17:23

MagicJacob wrote:Why I cannot play with mirage and tempest sets ? or Ice Age sets ? how this is possible ?
the jpg. files are all in my cardartnew folder.
You can use those extra cards for everything except Shandalar, like in online play.

For your other questions, please post them in the New Users Start Here topic at viewforum.php?f=55. This topic is only for the unmodified ISO. All the extra stuff is a bit complicated and has its own forum.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Huggybaby » 27 May 2010, 05:57

@Sonic: BTW, my friend just finished losing in Shandalar. No crashes. Then he started dueling the PC using all the extra cards. Crashes when opening the deck editor, and during play. He had not installed your update although I had sent him the links. Well, he's now installed the update and no more crashes. Voila!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby avidamaru » 01 Jun 2010, 11:29

Hi! its posible to make a unique updated link for XP to download an .iso where contains all the cards and fixed options and the only thing that have to do is download,burn and install all the aplications together?I think thats a crazy idea but for the begginers users all the progress for install our loved game is really complicated (im too limitated with pc...) sorry for my inglish,its so bad to!thakns for your attention and thanks for all the time you dedicate for the people here
avidamaru

Postby stassy » 02 Jun 2010, 05:01

Unfortunately it is not possible to do so because :

- There is 2 main version of the game working, ISO Mok version and the 28/05/2010 one, the latter has multiplayer and Shandalar issues while the 1st has no new recent cards/new gameplay mode (hence the advice to run 2 ML folders to switch between them)

- The game is user sounds, cards and image cards customizable (check the wiki for those mods) so there is no definite "official complete version"

That is why the basic consensus is that the ISO Mok version is the starter-basic pack and it's up to the user to start modding his own with all the data available in the forum.
stassy

Postby Entropy42 » 04 Jun 2010, 15:20

Amazing work getting this all assembled. I installed it last night (via the ISO from the torrent) and installed the new images and multiplayer folders that are included in the ISO but not installed as part of the normal installation. After editing my deck in Shandalar I encounter a problem. When I enter a fight I end up drawing lands that aren't even in my deck (i.e. plains and island). If I go look at my card collection after the match, those cards aren't even in it, let alone in my deck anywhere. Has anyone else had this issue? Or have any suggestions for resolving it?

I had installed this game about a year ago by searching around for all the individual pieces and fixes, and I had this same problem back then so I uninstalled it.
Entropy42

Postby Huggybaby » 04 Jun 2010, 19:19

The newest images are not in the ISO, they're linked in the first post of this topic. The multiplayer files are also not in the ISO.

Is your deck smaller than 40 cards? If so, you will get random lands.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Sonic » 05 Jun 2010, 05:19

Huggybaby wrote:@Sonic: BTW, my friend just finished losing in Shandalar. No crashes. Then he started dueling the PC using all the extra cards. Crashes when opening the deck editor, and during play. He had not installed your update although I had sent him the links. Well, he's now installed the update and no more crashes. Voila!
Hi Huggy

Sorry I haven't answered earlier, my internet connection has been down for nearly a week and a half.

Your friends experience is good to hear. It would seem the updates have made the game a little more stable than the original release. I'm glad my contributions have helped.

There is one remaining problem I've found - the Shivan Zombie sometimes plays with no artwork. I've manage to correct it though.
I'm hoping the guys in the Pics forum will get hold of a set of Rise of the Eldrazi soon, before I send you the corrected files, as there are three cards in the set which I could add extra artwork from.

Glory Seeker
Regress
Naturalize

Make a nice addition to an update, I think.

:)
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Huggybaby » 05 Jun 2010, 05:23

Wait no longer, ROE is here: viewtopic.php?p=32836#p32836

And welcome back. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Sonic » 05 Jun 2010, 05:58

Huggybaby wrote:Wait no longer, ROE is here: viewtopic.php?p=32836#p32836
In that case - update on it's way soon. \:D/
Sonic
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar