It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:11

Text Size

Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO

Postby Huggybaby » 08 Oct 2010, 02:31

That install path is fine.
The patch is in the very first post in this thread. Search for "THE ONE AND ONLY UPDATE FOR THE ISO:"
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Exarche » 08 Oct 2010, 04:27

I was wondering if any of the original bugs can be fixed? One of my peeves in the game is the lack of ability to use fast effects during the different phases of the game.
examples:
you cannot use the icy manipulator during opponents turn before attack phase unless he casts a spell or does a fast effect. This really sucks and renders a lot of strategy using fast effects useless #-o

Paralyze is the worst card to have played on you because it doesn't let you untap your creature and basically screws you but lets the computer untap when it can spend the mana. :x
Exarche

Postby Exarche » 08 Oct 2010, 04:32

Huggybaby wrote:I've never beat the game. Bog Wraith has countless times, and others here have also, so maybe one of them will chime in.
I have beaten the game, including the last battle against the the horned guy with 200 life, with every color. it can be done.
Exarche

Postby stassy » 08 Oct 2010, 06:07

I was wondering if any of the original bugs can be fixed? One of my peeves in the game is the lack of ability to use fast effects during the different phases of the game.
examples:
you cannot use the icy manipulator during opponents turn before attack phase unless he casts a spell or does a fast effect. This really sucks and renders a lot of strategy using fast effects useless #-o

Paralyze is the worst card to have played on you because it doesn't let you untap your creature and basically screws you but lets the computer untap when it can spend the mana. :x
You do know that by default there is a stop after AI draw phase, before sorcery step and attack phase right? :p

If there is not, you can just right click on a phase pre sorcery phase icon and put a stop to cast Icy Manipulator on AI creature before it can attack.

it's the same for Paralyze but is not enabled by default, you need to put at stop at your own upkeep phase in order to spend your mana to temporarly cancel the Paralyze effect on your creature (and every other effect like Phantasmal Forces or Armageddon Clock).
stassy

Postby Xenocyde » 09 Oct 2010, 11:48

Just wanted to congratulate you guys for this release. Epic awesomeness! How often do you guys plan to release new cards for this version?
Xenocyde

Postby Sonic » 09 Oct 2010, 13:13

Xenocyde wrote:Just wanted to congratulate you guys for this release. Epic awesomeness! How often do you guys plan to release new cards for this version?
Unfortunately, we're not.

This was the last version of the game developed that retains much of the Microprose original games look and feel. And as such, many of the newer released paper stock cards use game mechanics which this version of the game cannot accommodate. It is also the only version to still retain the Shandalar section - and like the Shandalar section, to be exclusively coded in assembly. We now have nobody to continue the development of the assembly version, or the underdeveloped Shandalar section, which is basically untouched since the games original release.

Essentially we maintain the ISO version of the game for nostalgic reasons and as an introductory platform to the more advanced development versions of the Manalink 2.0 game still being developed at the CCGHQ.
Working On: Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Xenocyde » 09 Oct 2010, 13:54

Sonic wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:Just wanted to congratulate you guys for this release. Epic awesomeness! How often do you guys plan to release new cards for this version?
Unfortunately, we're not.

This was the last version of the game developed that retains much of the Microprose original games look and feel. And as such, many of the newer released paper stock cards use game mechanics which this version of the game cannot accommodate. It is also the only version to still retain the Shandalar section - and like the Shandalar section, to be exclusively coded in assembly. We now have nobody to continue the development of the assembly version, or the underdeveloped Shandalar section, which is basically untouched since the games original release.

Essentially we maintain the ISO version of the game for nostalgic reasons and as an introductory platform to the more advanced development versions of the Manalink 2.0 game still being developed at the CCGHQ.
Oh, so Manalik 2.0 is sort of an ongoing expansion of the old DoTP. Nice! I thought Manalink was a multiplayer enabler only. Great stuff! Keep up the good work! :D
Xenocyde

Postby CirothUngol » 09 Oct 2010, 23:53

Your memory serves you well. Manalink was the MultiPlayer Enabler for the original MicroProse MtG, and it was in the guise of an Unofficial "Manalink Update" that Mok had first cracked the game, unlocked all the cards and fixed some in-game issues (Manalink 1.3.2). What eventually became the first Manalink 2.0 was an accumulation of all of the updates Mok had produced before he split the scene, and the current torch-bearers (2.0+?) still use the term as the name of the newly modified version... but yes, Manalink was originally just a MultiPlayer AddOn.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 10 Oct 2010, 03:04

The ISO uses 2.0. I called it 2.01 because it has a couple of files in it from 1.32 also. IOW it's what you get when you install 1.32, then install 2.0 over it.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Update October 29, 2010

Postby Huggybaby » 30 Oct 2010, 01:52

Sonic surprises us again with his best update yet. He can't leave well enough alone and we thank him profusely for that.

Get it here:
CCGHQ Microprose DOTP Custom ISO Update 102910.zip (118.5 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?eulr5hztt8cvwuz
The download contains the 83 MB update and the 55 MB original art option, explained in the release notes below.

Before:

After:

More:

Release Notes:
Sonic wrote:Found the fix for Shandalar not showing ‘Mishra’s Factory’ Assembly Worker token artwork when transformed. It now transpires the hyphen in the token’s name was causing the problem. This now means there are some extra files go with the update to correct those which refer to the Assembly Worker token using the hyphen in the name.
No guarantees this will resolve ‘Mishra’s Factory’ somewhat erratic AI behaviour, but the card never locked up the game during testing. [-o<

Next, I’ve created an alternative set of Manalink.csv and Cards.dat files, and a smaller ‘CardArtNew’ folder for those who wish to further restore the nostalgic look of the original Microprose game.
This alternative set of files will restrict the game to only displaying the cards original artwork – taking into account that some of the cards, including ‘Mishra’s Factory’, had multiple artwork when first released.
Installation instructions are included.

Finally, and to acknowledge the opening of the dedicated Shandalar forum thread at the CCGHQ, the Card List in the ‘Card Art Update Installation Instructions’ now shows which cards are actually playable in Shandalar.

New alternative artwork in the Card Art Update includes:

Black Vise
Isochron Scepter
Sol Ring
Ivory Tower
Masticore
Zuran Orb
Mox Diamond
Nevinyrral's Disk
Thirst for Knowledge
Mishra’s Factory
Shatter
Silver Myr
Gold Myr
Copper Myr
Leaden Myr
Iron Myr
Soldier (token)
Goblin (token)
Insect (token)

All taken from ‘Scars of Mirrodin’, ‘Elspeth vs Tezzeret’ and ‘From the Vault: Relics’.

I’ve included some pics in the archive for you to use in the announcement post.

Users of ‘Centaur Glade’ and ‘Wall of Kelp’ will also notice two new token images. Both are taken from Magic Online, and replace the unofficial token artwork we’ve been using for sometime.

8)

Happy Halloween everyone, and thanks Sonic!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby UltimateKane99 » 30 Oct 2010, 20:56

Hey guys! First off, before ANYTHING else, I want to congratulate you guys on an AMAZING port (because, considering the platforms, it IS a port. :P Anyway). Great job all around.

Now for the iffy part. I'm having two issues at the moment. The first is that I do not have any of the videos running. I'm unsure of what's causing this, and I thought I'd been fine with all of the patches, but... :( I'm running 7, latest version. I don't know why I don't get the videos, but the animation of the wizards getting hit when I kill their minions, or the animation at the beginning, etc., I don't get any of them. :(

The second one is this: Are any of the new cards included in the game (Not the deck builder, the full game. I know it works in the deck builder. GREAT JOB, by the way)? Akroma doesn't appear to be in at all, and the few times I've tried to import the cards into an enemies deck, one where I should see it quickly enough, has been met with issues (Either invisible cards, or empty graveyards with bad discards, or full blown crashes of the game). Is there any way the cards are included in the game and I missed a patch or something?

Just downloaded Sonic's patch from up above, by the way. Thank you very much.

Overall, though, great job. Thanks for all your hard work! :)
UltimateKane99

Postby Sonic » 31 Oct 2010, 18:34

UltimateKane99 wrote:Hey guys! First off, before ANYTHING else, I want to congratulate you guys on an AMAZING port (because, considering the platforms, it IS a port. :P Anyway). Great job all around.

Now for the iffy part. I'm having two issues at the moment. The first is that I do not have any of the videos running. I'm unsure of what's causing this, and I thought I'd been fine with all of the patches, but... :( I'm running 7, latest version. I don't know why I don't get the videos, but the animation of the wizards getting hit when I kill their minions, or the animation at the beginning, etc., I don't get any of them. :(

The second one is this: Are any of the new cards included in the game (Not the deck builder, the full game. I know it works in the deck builder. GREAT JOB, by the way)? Akroma doesn't appear to be in at all, and the few times I've tried to import the cards into an enemies deck, one where I should see it quickly enough, has been met with issues (Either invisible cards, or empty graveyards with bad discards, or full blown crashes of the game). Is there any way the cards are included in the game and I missed a patch or something?

Just downloaded Sonic's patch from up above, by the way. Thank you very much.

Overall, though, great job. Thanks for all your hard work! :)
Reads as if you have a corrupted install.

There are currently two versions of the game available, the ISO, and the Limited/Constructed. Neither is compatible with the other - installing updates from the wrong version will corrupt the installed game.

If you want to install the older nostalgic ISO version of the game, follow the instructions and warnings in the first post of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2349&start=0

If you want to install the newer ongoing development (Limited/Constructed) version follow the instructions in the WIKI.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Installation

Hope this helps.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby UltimateKane99 » 03 Nov 2010, 20:56

Interesting. I'll try reinstalling. In that vein, though, is it possible to still use the save game? And, beyond that, does this also fix the second issue I was having?

Thank you very much! :)
UltimateKane99

Postby Sonic » 03 Nov 2010, 22:34

UltimateKane99 wrote:Interesting. I'll try reinstalling. In that vein, though, is it possible to still use the save game? And, beyond that, does this also fix the second issue I was having?

Thank you very much! :)
It's probably best to install the ISO to C:\Program Files\’ (or ‘C:\Program Files(x86)\’ if using Windows7 x64), unless you have a specific reason not to.
Although it suggest during the installation you can install the game anywhere, as long as you do not use long file path names. We've had reports of a small number of people having problems when installing it anywhere but the default path - so it's probably best to use this to be safe.

There's no guarantee your current save game file isn't corrupt if you've been having problems with your install. You might be better off starting and saving a new game.

Unfortunately, Shandalar can only access the cards that were in the original Microprose game. The new cards added in the ISO are only playable in the Dual Games.

If you check out the 'Card Art Update Installation Instructions.pdf' in the 10/29/10 update, it includes a card list showing which cards are playable in the game - those listed in gray are playable in Shandalar.

All the best... Sonic
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby JesusKillsForFun » 10 Nov 2010, 21:00

hey i realy need help with the multiplayer, i cant get it too work, i did everything it said to and it still wont show the gem in the corner, can anyone help me?
JesusKillsForFun

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar