It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:49

Text Size

Having difficulties installing on Windows 10 :(

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Having difficulties installing on Windows 10 :(

Postby Fizztron » 25 Feb 2020, 07:55

Heya guys, remembering playing through MTG Shandalar on windows 8 a loooooooooooooooooong time ago.
But sadly I keep running into errors with character creation and campaign play.

First off I get a "Assertion Error File-> D:\NewMagic\sources\sidlib\text.c, Line-> 131
File fonts.cv could not be opened: EXITING"

Then it continues but skips portrait creation and leaves with with a garbled graphical mess that looks like the mana symbols infused with blood
and a username composed of random characters.

Finally no matter which comparability mode I choose it leaves the screen on 1/5 of my monitor, even if I were to change the resolution of my computer it still won't output full screen.

Please would EXTREMELY enjoy getting back into Shandalar but despite doing everything correctly I still can't seem to get this properly configured :((
Attachments
2020-02-25 01_50_00-CompatWindow.png
2020-02-25 01_48_01-CompatWindow.png
2020-02-25 01_47_08-CompatWindow.png
Fizztron

Re: Having difficulties installing on Windows 10 :(

Postby gnomefry » 26 Feb 2020, 16:26

Hi, Fizztron. Do you know which version of Shandalar you're using? That might help.

The garbled graphics and reso change during character creation is due to an issue when it hands-off to the original facemaker app. Can you navigate around in a file manager and copy/rename files? If so, launch windows explorer and go into your Shandalar folder. Find the file named facemaker.exe and rename it to facemaker-original.exe. Then download this zip containing Korath's facemaker replacement, unzip the contents and copy the facemaker.exe it contains into your Shandalar folder.

https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/download/file.php?id=23361
gnomefry
Tester

Postby Fizztron » 27 Feb 2020, 05:34

gnomefry wrote:Hi, Fizztron. Do you know which version of Shandalar you're using? That might help.

The garbled graphics and reso change during character creation is due to an issue when it hands-off to the original facemaker app. Can you navigate around in a file manager and copy/rename files? If so, launch windows explorer and go into your Shandalar folder. Find the file named facemaker.exe and rename it to facemaker-original.exe. Then download this zip containing Korath's facemaker replacement, unzip the contents and copy the facemaker.exe it contains into your Shandalar folder.

Now I'm getting this error . . . . . . . . .
Attachments
2020-02-26 23_33_14-CompatWindow.png
Fizztron

Postby gnomefry » 27 Feb 2020, 16:16

Sorry you're having that trouble, Fizztron.

The facemaker replacement only deals with the garbled graphics and lowered resolution that happen during character creation. (You can of course undo the switch by deleting the new facemaker.exe and renaming facemaker-original.exe back to facemaker.exe)

The assertion errors could be due to a messed or incomplete install. You haven't mentioned which version of Shandalar you're using or what files/link you installed it from.
gnomefry
Tester

Postby Nilmur » 26 Jun 2020, 10:52

Hi Gnomefry, I'm having the same issues as Fizztron. I'm using the 2010 ISO with the Shandalar 2012 edition. I've also tried installing the patch on obviously no result changed. Do you think you could assist with this?
Nilmur

Postby JasonBrooklyn » 22 Mar 2023, 23:50

I’m aware this answer comes a bit late, but for others who might have the same question. Not to worry - I'm sure we can get you up and running in no time.
JasonBrooklyn

Postby jairohansonx » 08 May 2023, 15:09

Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 8 or even Windows 7? Sometimes older games have trouble running on newer operating systems. As for the garbled graphical mess, it could be a graphics driver issue.
jairohansonx

Return to Shandalar