It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:58

Text Size

Looking to play this amazing game

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Looking to play this amazing game

Postby Mucuslime » 19 Apr 2020, 20:43

Hey all. Before anything else, I'd like to make it clear that it'll probably be a pain to help me with this. I have no experience with downloading or running games as old as this. Regardless, please be kind and understanding.

In short, I'm looking for a version that's noob friendly while still being as close to the original as possible. I'd love to have the videos, voices and cutscenes work but it's not a dealbreaker if they don't. I've heard that the game does not like to run on newer systems, so I'm down to run it on a Windows 95 VM, I suppose. I'd just need to learn how to do that. What version of the game would be best for me and how do I go about download/installing/running it?

Thanks in advance
Mucuslime

Re: Looking to play this amazing game

Postby Mucuslime » 19 Apr 2020, 21:32

Upon more poking around, it seems my only options are the 2010 version and the 2012 version. I've been reading about them but I can hardly gather any meaningful information that would help me decide between the two. I'll try to boil my thoughts down into a few questions.

Do these work on Windows 10?
Would I need to use a VM for either of these? If so, what version of Windows do I need to emulate and how do I do that?
Which version provides a more vanilla experience? (i.e. only cards from the original game, working cutscenes/videos/voices, graphics)
Do I have to use the new stuff that's included? How do I disable them if not? (i.e. updated enemy decks, updated card images, updated graphics/UI, mods, expansions)
Both say that they have updated card images, but what does that mean? I'd prefer the original card art/graphics if possible.

That should be everything. I'll reply again if I end up having more questions.
Mucuslime

Re: Looking to play this amazing game

Postby Aswan jaguar » 20 Apr 2020, 07:36

The 2010 ISO is what you are looking for as it has no changes for the adventure part = shandalar and only some added cards and some card fixes for the other parts of the game (duels, gauntlet, sealed) + made to work for newer systems. For windows 10 more people have managed to make it work without having to do it through a vm but you may need to follow tips for how others managed to make it work as mentioned to that post. Good luck.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Return to Shandalar